Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-26-2004, 03:00 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default TI Integrates GPU into Mobile CPU

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/35836.html

Good news of the processor front, "Texas Instruments has updated its OMAP all-in-one mobile processor platform with a second-generation architecture that integrates graphics acceleration hardware, support for hi-res digicams and camcorders, and provides TV output".

The Reg's take on this, is that it seems to be aiming to compete with Intel's next-generation XScale processor, Bulverde, which also uses ARM technology. The OMAP is certainly fully featured anyway! 8)

"The OMAP 2410 is based on a 330MHz ARM 1136 core and integrates a 220MHz DSP and MBX, which can process up to two million polygons per second, the company said. Intel claims Carbonado will deliver 3mps performance. The 2410 also integrates a DDR memory controller along with LCD, USB and camera control circuitry."

"The 2420's bigger sibling, the 2420, adds extra peripheral support and a video accelerator backed by 5Mb of on-die SRAM. It's this component that delivers six megapixel camera support, along with full-motion 640 x 480 video encoding at 30fps and TV-out."

TI said OMAP 2 processors will support all mobile operating systems, including Symbian, Windows Mobile, Linux, Nucleus and the Palm OS. The 2410 and the 2420, along with the TWL92230 power management chip, are expected to sample before July

I really don't think I like the sound of this however: :? "TI calls OMAP 2 "the ideal DRM platform", coupling hardware encryption for better VPN performance with digital signature integration that can used to limit what content is downloaded to the device. The digital signature is checked periodically and whenever the host device is booted. To aid theft-prevention, the chip can store a handsets encoded IMEI code, blocking further use of the handset if anyone attempts to change its IMEI." Hmmmmmmmm. :?

Old 02-26-2004, 02:36 PM
matpavon
Neophyte

my impression is that the release of the new generation processors in TI is going to start things up a bit. definitely, it is not a surprise. everybody who follows hardware development knows that ARM has prepared its new core months and months ago. so, actually, i was surprised to see how long it took them to launch first processors. intel was certainly waiting for TI to make the first move, so they could know where they were going. i can't wait to see what Intel is up to. but, of course, what we can expect for sure is improved (too much, speaking for myself) graphics, java support and better wireless. games people play... i am 'affraid' that the whole industry is going towards multimedia...

Old 02-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Nice to see TI making some moves - this will force Intel to react and we'll all benefit.

Old 02-26-2004, 06:26 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by matpavon
....what we can expect for sure is improved (too much, speaking for myself) graphics, java support and better wireless. games people play... i am 'affraid' that the whole industry is going towards multimedia...
Why is this a problem? Are you looking for raw Mhz? Isn't it better to do more with less if possible (conserving battery life etc)?