Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-19-2004, 12:37 AM
dmacburry2003
Philosopher
Default OMG Plz Help!!!

OMG I have a dead/alive pixel on my laptop screen and can not get over it.

Specs of the dead/alive pixel:
1 dead/alive pixel.
Its GREEN.
Its very bright.
It is 1/3 of the total pixel (red, blue, green).
When I watch a scary DVD on my laptop, it sticks out the WHOLE time and is SOOOO ANNOYING!!!

Does anyone know of software that will basically kill the pixel and shut it off; like something that allows you to click on the pixel with the mouse and then select what part of it and just kill it?

Sorry about the whole dead/alive thing, because its not dead, its always on, so its alive, but its considered dead, but its ugly, so :crazyeyes:

Old 02-19-2004, 12:46 AM
JackTheTripper
Sage
Send a message via AIM to JackTheTripper

Maybe it's stressed. Have you tried giving your lap top a massage? That helps sometimes.

Start off gentle though and work your way up to maybe lightly scratching with your finger.

**Edit**

Thought a link might be nice...

http://www.lowendmac.com/misc/2k0323pf.html

Old 02-19-2004, 01:00 AM
dmacburry2003
Philosopher

Thank you for providing the link to that very in-depth article

I guess I will just have to try rubbing it, but I don't know how it will help Especially because the dead pixel has been there since I bought the damn thing (I only got the amazing idea to post about it today). Also, the article mentions "bringing it back to life" so if its already alive... :|

I have another spot in the screen that has a speck of dirt behind it and is always dimmed.

I am really glad my Pocket PC doesn't have any dead pixels!

*rubbing*

PS: If processors can have millions of transistors and cost less than half of what an LCD does, then how comes they don't have "dead pixels"??? I'm sure if they did, my PC would not be running right now! :evil:

Old 02-19-2004, 01:13 AM
dmacburry2003
Philosopher

Perhaps I should just bang the thing until I get thirty dead pixels and then send it in for replacement :twisted:

Old 02-19-2004, 01:23 AM
dmacburry2003
Philosopher

Hey, look what Jeff C wrote in another forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff C
The problem with dead pixels is not the problem itself, rather the fact that after shelling out a pot of cash for an expensive laptop, you have entered the manufacturers lottery for a perfect screen and lost it.
If you can believe that the problem will fix itself eventually(by magic) then you can avoid spending more hours looking at the stuck (bright green in my case) pixel than anything else, and relax and enjoy your computer , now with a truculent display personality.
If you actually rub the screen and it doesn't work (and why would this work, sounds a bit like fixing things by banging them on the side), then you are in a situation that will never change. Much preferrable to be in the same situation with belief that things will change.

Moral. Live in hope that the pixel will fix itself and stop staring at it.
I hope I'm allowed to quote this guy :roll: But it is good advice.

Old 02-19-2004, 02:01 AM
JackTheTripper
Sage
Send a message via AIM to JackTheTripper

My wife's powerbook had a stuck on pixel. We rubbed it and rubbed it. Didn't go off. Then tried again a couple weeks later and it turned off and started minding itself. Then about 4-5 months later it came back but turned off when we rubbed it. Hasn't been back since. Weird stuff.

Good luck.

Old 02-19-2004, 02:03 AM
dmacburry2003
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheTripper
My wife's powerbook had a stuck on pixel. We rubbed it and rubbed it. Didn't go off. Then tried again a couple weeks later and it turned off and started minding itself. Then about 4-5 months later it came back but turned off when we rubbed it. Hasn't been back since. Weird stuff.

Good luck.
Lol, I've been rubbing for quite some time now :wink: I think HP WANTED the pixel to be dead because its dead center, ugly, and WILL NOT go off :evil:

Old 02-19-2004, 02:50 AM
arnage2
Oracle

I once had a pda with 3 dead pixles in a row. I had to send it to the mfr to get it replaced

Old 02-19-2004, 03:28 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

ARNAGE2, the problem is that 3 pixels might be over the threshold, especially for a low-resolution PDA. You're almost never going to get a replacement for 1 stuck pixel on a high-res LCD screen -- it's within "tolerances".

dmacburry, I'm afraid you're probably just going to have to get used to it if the rubbing doesn't help.

--janak

Old 02-19-2004, 03:35 AM
dmacburry2003
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
ARNAGE2, the problem is that 3 pixels might be over the threshold, especially for a low-resolution PDA. You're almost never going to get a replacement for 1 stuck pixel on a high-res LCD screen -- it's within "tolerances".

dmacburry, I'm afraid you're probably just going to have to get used to it if the rubbing doesn't help.

--janak
Mine is 1024*768 I think and I have been rubbing it so much I think I'm starting to see your fortune