Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 02-14-2004, 09:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default I Want The Wireless Technology The Rovers Have

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4202901/

"NASA upgraded the bandwidth connection to its pokey twin Mars rovers, a boost that will allow scientists to send and receive data like pictures more quickly, a mission manager said Friday. The rate is now nearly five times the speed of home dial-up Internet connections."

These things are roughly 48,000,000 miles from here (73,000,000 km) and they are talking at ~265kpbs! 8O I can't get much better than 28kpbs with my GPRS connection. Forget cell phones. If NASA can do this with devices on Mars, I say turn the wireless technology on Earth over to them. They gave us Velcro, Teflon and pens that write upside down, they can give us ubiquitous fast wireless technology too!

I found the above image on a site about the wireless technology in the rovers, but I suspect it is a fake. Yes, it has the annoying bluetooth flashing light, but I just don't think bluetooth has the range. Although, the whole flash memory problem a few weeks ago with Spirit may have been a coverup. Maybe Spirit just wasn't bonding properly.

Old 02-14-2004, 09:13 PM
arnage2
Oracle

28k, lucky! nextel gives me 9.6k. Thats why wifi is so much fun.

Old 02-14-2004, 09:14 PM
jkendrick
Thinker

"NASA released wireless technology for the PocketPC Platform. The CF Type III card is available on the NASA website.

Download size: 256kb
Prices: $2,000,000,000

Old 02-14-2004, 09:18 PM
arnage2
Oracle

you forgot to mention tang. Nasa gave us tang. :mrgreen:

Old 02-14-2004, 09:43 PM
Dave Potter
Thinker

When he said the Rovers - I thought he meant that old Irish band - you know the one with all those drinkin' songs :lol:

"Wasn't that a party"
:lol: :lol:

Old 02-14-2004, 09:58 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippper
When he said the Rovers - I thought he meant that old Irish band -
Nah - he's talking about the British car company. :wink:

Old 02-14-2004, 10:00 PM
Icebaron
Ponderer
Default Not to pick nits but...

Here's a little nitpick... the space pen was actually created by a private company. (Fisher, as you might have guessed by the name Fisher space pen). Nasa never contacted Fischer and asked them to create the pen, rather Paul Fisher, a big fan of the space program, developed the pen with his own money because he felt that wood pencils with easily broken graphite posed a safety hazard in space. The first 400 space pens were sold to NASA for like three bucks a piece, in the mid 60s, and Fisher never got directly reimbursed for the money he spent developing the pen, although I'd be willing to be that the commercial success of the pen eventually made up for the lost cash in the near 40 years it's been sold.

Old 02-14-2004, 10:01 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

Sure they may be able to speak with the Rovers at that distance at 256kbs, but the power needed to transmit the distance must be astronomical.

BTW, I get 56kps on my T-Mobile GPRS service

Old 02-14-2004, 10:20 PM
daS
Thinker
Default Re: I Want The Wireless Technology The Rovers Have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
These things are roughly 48,000,000 miles from here (73,000,000 km) and they are talking at ~265kpbs! 8O I can't get much better than 28kpbs with my GPRS connection. Forget cell phones. If NASA can do this with devices on Mars, I say turn the wireless technology on Earth over to them. They gave us Velcro, Teflon and pens that write upside down, they can give us ubiquitous fast wireless technology too!
I know you were only joking about this Ed, but for those that believe that there is some amazing new wireless technology NASA is using...

The impressive bandwidth is certainly not ubiquitous, but rather it's highly directional. The Rovers are using very focused antenna and NASA is using huge dishes also focused on a fixed target. (Okay, so the rovers are moving around on another planet - which itself is moving around in the sky, but you get the idea.)

We already have consumer wireless WAN technology that can easily exceed what NASA is using in the form of EDGE and EvDO. The problem isn't one of technology, but rather one of cost. Just imagine what kind of speed Verizon or T-Mobile could offer you if they only had to support two customers per planet. :lol:

Old 02-14-2004, 10:26 PM
Dave Potter
Thinker
Default Re: I Want The Wireless Technology The Rovers Have

Quote:
Originally Posted by daS
...Just imagine what kind of speed Verizon or T-Mobile could offer you if they only had to support two customers per planet. :lol:
Per planet? Are Verizon and T-Mobile offering services on planets other than earth now?

:lol: