Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-14-2004, 12:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Sandisk Offers Inexpensive Storage Cards for Permanent Storage

http://www.sandisk.com/corporate_press.html

"SanDisk Corporation (NASDAQ:SNDK) today announced a new line of inexpensive flash memory cards designed to allow users to save their pictures indefinitely without using a computer for downloading, thus giving millions of consumers a major incentive to switch from film to digital photography and providing them with a durable, permanent way to store a lifetime of images. With an initial suggested retail price of $14.99 each�a breakthrough in the industry�the Shoot & Store� cards are expected to allow people to order prints on a �cost-of-use� basis that is equal to or less than that of traditional analog film. And they won�t have to worry about leaving expensive flash memory cards with retail photo finishers."

An interesting tactic, but do you think it will work?

Old 02-14-2004, 12:02 AM
EricMCarson
Ponderer

My only concern is whether these are write-once cards. If not, they could work in a grocery store environment (next to the film).

Old 02-14-2004, 12:06 AM
dmacburry2003
Philosopher

MORE FLASH MEDIA!??!?!?! 8O

Old 02-14-2004, 12:07 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

I don't get it... how is this any different than what is possible today? Please enlighten me.

Old 02-14-2004, 12:20 AM
Pat Logsdon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDisk's Marketing Department
The cards also provide options for consumers to get quality snapshots from the retailers� do-it-yourself photo kiosks or from in-house processing services instead of toiling over home printers to make photos that end up costing more and may be prone to fading in a few months.
It seems like they're going to try to make money by putting kiosks that can accept SD cards in retail stores. I would imagine that the cards would have to be read-only to sell them at a $14.99 price point.

Old 02-14-2004, 12:21 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

I don't get the concept either. :? Is it even lower quality than existing Sandisk products? (Is this even possible?) :lol:

Quote:
The low cost, convenience and simplicity of the cards are designed to generate new business to the stores that consumers visit frequently
Don;t quite see the point of what they are getting at.

Quote:
The first card types in the Shoot & Store line are Compact Flash (CF), SD and SmartMedia. The CF and SD cards initially will be offered in 50-picture (32-megabyte) sizes while the SmartMedia cards will be offered with 50 pictures only. By the middle of the year, SanDisk plans to distribute 100-picture (64-megabyte) cards at an initial price of $24.99, as well as add other card formats including Memory Stick PRO and xD.
No no different format - thank heavens for small mercies. :?

Old 02-14-2004, 12:27 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
I don't get it... how is this any different than what is possible today? Please enlighten me.
It's pretty much the card size + price point - it's hard to find 32 MB cards anywhere today (at least in most places where I look), so I think their idea is to revitalize the small card market. <shrug> We'll see what happens...

Old 02-14-2004, 12:27 AM
William
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgical Snack
I would imagine that the cards would have to be read-only to sell them at a $14.99 price point.
I guess you mean write-once instead of read-only?

Anyway, I don't see how this would work. In the end a large multiple use card will be much cheaper. And would you really send in an even inexpensive card without making backup copies on your computer in case the card gets lost?

Old 02-14-2004, 12:46 AM
Howard2k
Ponderer

Could they actually be any less reliable and slower than the current cards??

I'm going nowhere near them.

Old 02-14-2004, 12:51 AM
xboxlord
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to xboxlord

I don't see how this will work. I understand the concept, but it makes no sense to me why they would try doing this. William was right in saying the larger use cards are much cheaper. And nowadays, nobody really goes to get their digital film developed because printer quality is good enough that the cards are used at home for photo quality prints. And in digital photography, the card doesn't really matter, it is the camera. Having a 2MP card "developed" at a retail store will not give you a better quality picture than what you would "develop" at home.