Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-06-2004, 09:33 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Heralding the Death of QWERTY, FrogPad Releases Bluetooth Enabled One-Handed Keyboard

http://home.businesswire.com/portal...819&newsLang=en

"FrogPad(TM) Inc. (www.frogpad.com), maker of the revolutionary portable one-handed keyboard, and its strategic Bluetooth(TM) solutions partner, Gennum Corporation (TSX: GND), will conduct a demonstration and announce the general availability of a Bluetooth enabled FrogPad keyboard at a press conference here today (see below for more information about the press conference). The new keyboard incorporates FrogPad's patented ergonomic layout designed around the 15 most-used letters in the English alphabet with the latest short-range wireless Bluetooth technology.

Pioneering a new global standard for data entry, the FrogPad keyboard breaks the century-old QWERTY code. Unlike QWERTY, whose design was derived from the limitations of 19th Century typewriter technology, the FrogPad offers a logical key layout and design that encourages correct ergonomic posture. Additionally, given its use of full-size keys, the FrogPad offers users of mobile computing devices an effective alternative to the script-based or mini thumb keyboard platforms currently available. After an average of 8 hours of training and practice, most FrogPad users can achieve input rates of up to 40 words per minute, as compared to the average of 10-20 words per minute by the fastest thumb typists."

Old 02-06-2004, 09:44 PM
nobody
Ponderer

I really hope that someone will come up with a one-handed typing but still faster than two-handed typing. Is this the case here?

Old 02-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody
I really hope that someone will come up with a one-handed typing but still faster than two-handed typing. Is this the case here?
Yes, my understanding is that the Frogpad is a one-handed typing tool. No clue how it really works though - more info on their site...

Old 02-06-2004, 09:59 PM
jb
Pupil

HHHHHHAAAAAA!!!!!!!

$190.00 ARE YOU KIDDING!!!!!!!!

Price needs to go down fast.

Old 02-06-2004, 10:28 PM
egads
Theorist
Default Re: Heralding the Death of QWERTY, FrogPad Releases Bluetooth Enabled One-Handed Keyboard

Death of QWERTY ???
BlueTooth is dead also, so how can the FrogPad even take off

Jokes aside, I would much prefer a good QWERTY thumb board to what I saw of the FrogPad.

Old 02-06-2004, 10:34 PM
mxm
Pupil
Default Frogpad not compatible with PocketPC

I read something on their site that the bluetooth frogpad will not work with pocket PC's, due to the lack of HID support. Not quite sure about it though.

Does anyone have some more info on this?

Old 02-06-2004, 10:42 PM
tom dunne
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to tom dunne
Default Re: Heralding the Death of QWERTY, FrogPad Releases Bluetooth Enabled One-Handed Keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn

Pioneering a new global standard for data entry,
:lol: Who writes this crap?

Old 02-06-2004, 10:42 PM
dmacburry2003
Philosopher

Honestly, when I first heard about this, I thought it was an extension to the popular "LeapPad" learning system. I don't know what I would use it for. Maybe to play the lottery...

Old 02-06-2004, 10:49 PM
KiLLiN-TiMe
Intellectual
Default Re: Frogpad not compatible with PocketPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxm
I read something on their site that the bluetooth frogpad will not work with pocket PC's, due to the lack of HID support. Not quite sure about it though.

This is what they said at their site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogpad Website
Any Bluetooth product that supports the HID profile will interface with FrogPad. Apple and PC's and tablets with Bluetooth and of course the Bluetooth Dongle's support the HID profile. And products like Antelope Technologies will also allow for this interface in the future. Interestingly enough, neither mobile phones nor PDA's supports HID at this time. Me thinks it is because they are so wrapped up and invested in the miniature Qwerty. They will learn�����
They also said it would be $200.00 USD for the Bluetooth model when it comes out. Not that I would spend that much to be able to type one handed! :roll:

Old 02-07-2004, 01:33 AM
iPAQ_ace
Ponderer
Default Re: Frogpad not compatible with PocketPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLiN-TiMe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxm

This is what they said at their site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogpad Website
Any Bluetooth product that supports the HID profile will interface with FrogPad. Apple and PC's and tablets with Bluetooth and of course the Bluetooth Dongle's support the HID profile. And products like Antelope Technologies will also allow for this interface in the future. Interestingly enough, neither mobile phones nor PDA's supports HID at this time. Me thinks it is because they are so wrapped up and invested in the miniature Qwerty. They will learn�����
They also said it would be $200.00 USD for the Bluetooth model when it comes out. Not that I would spend that much to be able to type one handed! :roll:
Yes, unfortunately, this is true. To the best of my knowledge, none of the current Pocket PC's out there today with built-in Bluetooth have the HID profile included. So for now, that would mean that we are S.O.L.

I am trying to raise this potential issue with an iPAQ Pocket PC Product Manager in the hopes that at least future iPAQ Pocket PC's include this profile. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if this was an add on in a ROM upgrade after several customer complaints who can't use the Bluetooth keyboards like the Bluetooth FrogPad or the upcoming Bluetooth Stowaway keyboard.

Ouch $200 is a lot of money - I believe Think Outside will do better with theirs, somehow I have a feeling that the Bluetooth Stowaway will be around the same pricing as the Stowaway XT and the Stowaway Wireless.