Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 02-04-2004, 08:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Windows Mobile 2003: Dysfunctional Networking Tools

Ever since getting my iPAQ 4150, I've become a total WiFi junkie - I use the 4150 to access data over WiFi several times a day. So you can imagine my frustration when it just stopped working one day...no explanation given. I've always known the networking tools in Windows Mobile 2003 were a little weak, but I didn't realize how weak until I started to try and fix this problem. The issue is that while I can get a connection, I can't get out onto the Web or check my email.

First up, there's the complete lack of information about my connection. What's my IP? Is the DHCP server even giving me an IP address? How do I release/renew it? There are no tools to do it. Then there's the WiFi access point listing - there are entries in there that I want to remove, but when I select REMOVE, they usually don't go away. Or, if they do, they come back right away. What I really want to do is to remove the entry for the network I'm on now, but that doesn't seem to be possible. Tapping and holding on the entry when it's connected gives me one option: Remove. I've clicked that several times this morning, and nothing happens - the network listing stays there. I tried it again just now, and it actually worked - but now the connection manager shows me connected to an access point that's 10 KM away from me - yeah, right. :roll:

After removing the WAP listing (and that took several attempts), it came back into the listing. Why doesn't a new access point being detected trigger the Zero Config pop-up window where you can enter the WEP key? All in all, very frustrating...but I managed to get it working by removing the "bad" network, letting it find it again, then going into the settings for that network and entering the WEP key again. What a hassle! But the good news is that now everything seems to be working - but I'm left wondering what happened to cause this problem in the first place.

Anyone else had struggles with this? I'm reminded of how much I like the wireless software tools on the Dell Axim X3i - Microsoft should just buy them and bundle them with the OS. ;-)

Old 02-04-2004, 08:08 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

My problems with the "zero config" put me at a point where I stopped using my Ipaq 5555. I just don't like the OS best-guessing what things should be.

I went back to using my Axim X5, and am now considering an X3i because Dell's tools are so damned good.

I hate the zero config. At least give us the option whether we want to use it or not. We're not all newbs and we don't all need it done for us.

Old 02-04-2004, 08:11 PM
stevew
Theorist

Microsoft always seems to come up short on full robust software for the PPC and lets everyone else complete what they should have completed to start with. i.e. Active Sync, PWord, PExcel, PEmail, PIE etc

Old 02-04-2004, 08:15 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

I hear ya' Jason. Same issues/complaints/wishes for my 4355. I too had the many miles away WiFi connection issue this weekend (while driving down the freeway over 20 miles from the AP no less).

I'm still highly optimistic about the 41/43xx platforms. Most of the issues are software related and I pray they'll be patched with an update soon.

My favorite issue with WiFi and the 4355 happened after I created an experimental ad-hoc connection with a nearby laptop at work. Had my fun and tried to delete the profile for days. Never deleted and now anytime that laptop is in range I get a prompt asking if I would like to connect.

BTW, if you want to add some recommended tools onto your 4150, take a look at the 2 mentioned here. I liked them, but ulitmately found the problems I'm having not to be remedied by either of them. Good stuff (especially for free).

Old 02-04-2004, 08:23 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

I use IpConfig from Steve Makofsky ( http://www.furrygoat.com ). It allows for Release and Renew. Best of all it's free.

Old 02-04-2004, 08:38 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

The problem I have with WiFi (Socket on 2215) is the whole ISP/Internet and Word/VPN issue.

Let me know if you have found a problem around these items.
When I am at home, I set my WiFi settings to use ISP/The Internet settings on that AP. This way, I can browse the net, etc. I recently added a VPN connection that I use to connect to the office and get at internal resources. The VPN gateway does not allow internet access, so on XP, I tell my connection NOT to use the remote gateway for internet access. There is no such setting internally.
At the office, the WiFi settings for the AP there is set to use Work settings. I do not need VPN, but I can't get on the internet unless I change the network card settings to use 'The Internet' instead of work.

Most people say to set both to 'Work' ... but if I do that, I cannot connect to VPN. What have you done to remedy these kinds of problems?

Old 02-04-2004, 08:39 PM
freitasm
Oracle

I think that all the Microsoft attempts to implement networking on Pocket PC show that this was the last thing they planned to do ( :?: ).

Anyway, I use Cirond's Pocket WinC. Great tool!

Old 02-04-2004, 08:43 PM
T-Will
Sage

I use PocketWinc and I HIGHLY recommend it. I lucked out and got it for free when PC World had a special going on.

http://www.cirond.com/site/products/wifispotter.htm

Old 02-04-2004, 08:45 PM
tvalentin
Ponderer
Default VxUtil for Netwoking diagnostics

I've had an ipaq 5450 for about a year and had frequient problems accessing wireless netwoks.

These seem to be independant of time or place, and if it works in a certain place on one day that doesn't necessarily mean it will work the next.

The most useful tool i've found for managing network (found from a helpful post on this site that is) conections/information is vxutil from http://www.cam.com/vxutil.html .
It is free and is a cab file download so no pc is required.

It gives you dhcp lease information, allows you to do pings or traceroutes and many other useful diagnostic functions.

One of my most frequent problems in paid hotspots i have is that my web browser won't 'find' the address for signing on to the service. Anyone else get this sort of problem?

Tom

Old 02-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Bandito
Pupil

I agree with the posters above. PocketWINC and vxUtil are key to Pocket PC networking. With these tools you can override Connection Manager and actually use WiFi networks like you should be able to.

As for the post about Internet vs. Work - this is a HUGE problem with Connection Manager. If I'm surfing the web on my wifi network (setting = Internet), I am unable to connect via ActiveSync unless I set it to Work. This is ridiculous. I can ping the host with vxUtil, but the Pocket PC just refuses to connect. On the flipside, if I'm set to work I am able to ActiveSync, but I am unable to surf the web. This is also a problem when dealing with multiple connection types (WiFi + Bluetooth). I'll be at home with both radios on, and will establish a connection to my WiFi network. As soon as I try hitting a webpage, my Pocket PC tries to dial out over my Bluetooth GPRS, even though I am able to ping whatever I want over WiFi!

It seems as though whoever designed the Pocket PC networking / Connection Manager just did not foresee the types of things people would want to do or the usage scenarios that it will be thrown into.