Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-03-2004, 09:14 PM
denivan
Theorist
Default Thread locking policy ?

Why is the topic about jj's boob locked ? It's a mature thread without offensive language
and it's a fun read during break time...

I pay to support this site, but suddenly I get ordering by a mod to carry on and start
discussing pocketpc's...so why don't you close the off-topic section all together then ?

Btw, closing a thread without motivation is rude and nazi-like imo

Move this post to the flame & shame forum if you need to...
I just feel disappointed by this action and will reconsider renewing my subscription

Ivan

Old 02-03-2004, 09:24 PM
carphead
Thinker

I'd like to add my vote this subject. I can't see why the thread was locked. It was in the off-topic forum.

I to will also reconsider my subscription when it's time to renew. I love this site but if the policy continues I won't be renewing.

Old 02-03-2004, 09:27 PM
JackTheTripper
Sage
Send a message via AIM to JackTheTripper

I have to politely agree. Though the topic had the possibility of getting out of hand, a nice "Please post no pics" may have been more apropriate.

Old 02-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Steven Cedrone

It's very simple. These posts usually get out of control very quickly. The last person that posted in the thread put up a link to a picture that, although labeled as "No Nudity", left very little to the imagination. Ms Jackson was really not covering anything. Rather than run the risk of keeping the thread open and have any more pictures or links to pictures posted, I locked the thread.

Steve

Old 02-03-2004, 09:36 PM
denivan
Theorist

I'd like to add something to my first post (which was written from my ipaq, using a keyboard is a lot easier for transporting your thoughts to the screen ).

First of all : no pictures were posted, there was no talk about the boob itself, but more about the fact if it was an accident or not. Let's face it, this has prolly been a topic in most offices today with people who say it's a pathetic display at getting attention and others saying it was an honest accident...so that's why I liked reading this thread and in particular Petiteflower's reply, as a woman she made a good point on how this truely could have been an accident.

I also find it odd that a moderator and an editor can reply to a certain topic (with relevant info) and another moderator can decide to just lock it. I must say : I don't want to overreact , but this course of action really surprised me. When I browse through the HOF&S forum, I can see why those posts were locked, but this one puzzles me...

Kind regards,

Ivan

Old 02-03-2004, 09:39 PM
JackTheTripper
Sage

Again, with all due respect.... that picture shows less than you would see in a "before and after" weight loss commercial shown on day time TV between the afternoon movie and Scooby Doo.

Old 02-03-2004, 09:42 PM
denivan
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Cedrone
It's very simple. These posts usually get out of control very quickly.
Oh come on, give us some credit. Some threads can get out of control, but the PPCthoughts forums are very polite and clean in general. It's not like we're all insulting each other like everyone at pdageek.com :roll:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.C.
The last person that posted in the thread put up a link to a picture that, although labeled as "No Nudity", left very little to the imagination.
Not trying to be insultive, but that tells me more about your imagination than about this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.C.
Rather than run the risk of keeping the thread open and have any more pictures or links to pictures posted, I locked the thread.
The least thing to do, would have been to include this motivation when you locked the tread, don't give people the feeling that PPC Thoughts invested our money in some kind of 'Random Thread-Locking Bot'

Ivan

Old 02-03-2004, 09:44 PM
JackTheTripper
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by denivan
I also find it odd that one moderator can reply to a certain topic (with relevant info I might add) and another moderator can decide to just lock it.
Actually, this is not odd at all. As a moderator on another board I can tell you there are not set black-and-white rules for governing the forum. Each mod does their best to keep watch over the boards. Where one mod might say "Please be careful when posting pics" another might lock the thread and a third might remove it all together. Mods are not police with set laws they follow. They try and do their best to maintain a friendly place and sometimes make decisions that others (even other mods) don't agree with.

**Edit**

Great discussion BTW.

Old 02-03-2004, 09:47 PM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheTripper
Quote:
Originally Posted by denivan
I also find it odd that one moderator can reply to a certain topic (with relevant info I might add) and another moderator can decide to just lock it.
Actually, this is not odd at all. As a moderator on another board I can tell you there are not set black-and-white rules for governing the forum. Each mod does their best to keep watch over the boards. Where one mod might say "Please be careful when posting pics" another might lock the thread and a third might remove it all together. Mods are not police with set laws they follow. They try and do their best to maintain a friendly place and sometimes make decisions that others (even other mods) don't agree with.
Modding is all about shades of grey. There have been some REALLY hard decisions. At what point should a thread be locked, at which point should it be HOFS'd, at which point it should just be deleted...

Part of the difficulty is in guessing what is *going* to happen and try to prevent ickiness. It's more important than you might think, but can lead to controversial modding decisions (I know it's happened to me).

Basically, both Steve and I do our best to let people talk about what they want to within the bounds of what is appropriate for the board. Sometimes that line of "appropriate" is difficult to judge, and sometimes we feel it's one place while one or more of the users may feel it should be somewhere else.

Just remember: we don't get paid.

Old 02-03-2004, 09:47 PM
denivan
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheTripper
True, I have no knowledge about moderating a forum and it seems like a huge job, but it would seem to me that if a moderator sees that other 'staff' members are joining a discussion, then he would think to himself that if they don't see anything wrong, there probably isn't something wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kati
Part of the difficulty is in guessing what is *going* to happen and try to prevent ickiness. It's more important than you might think, but can lead to controversial modding decisions (I know it's happened to me).

Basically, both Steve and I do our best to let people talk about what they want to within the bounds of what is appropriate for the board. Sometimes that line of "appropriate" is difficult to judge, and sometimes we feel it's one place while one or more of the users may feel it should be somewhere else.
True, part of the difficulty in my case was guessing *why* a thread is locked with no motivation :? Off course I assume every mod has the board's best interest in mind...although it felt to me like this particular 'lock' was decided to quickly.

Anyway, we all value your non-paid work at keeping this page clean, just remember that some of us do pay to visit and are kind off paying (and sometimes disgruntled) customers. My reaction to this was just the same as my reaction would be when my OEM decided to not hand out ROM updates anymore :lol:

Kind regards,

Ivan