Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 01-14-2004, 02:12 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default PCWorld CES Wrap Up: Picks and Pans

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article...d,114247,00.asp

"The worlds of computing and entertainment continue to collide at this year's Consumer Electronics Show. Televisions are getting larger and thinner than ever, DVD players are becoming more connected (next stop, world domination?), and PC technology is moving past the living room, into the kitchen and even the car (for the record, we're not sure if that's a good thing). Here's a look at some of the highlights--and lowlights--of this year's show..."

Unfortunately, nary a Pocket PC among them, but it's still a good read. Man I wish I had been at CES this year! :cry: It's on the map for 2005...

Old 01-14-2004, 02:25 AM
Paragon
Magi

If CES is any indicator then big screen TVs should see a huge price drop in the coming months, just based on supply alone. Everywhere you went you saw screen technology being displayed. Everyone is getting into the act. Epson even had a large display of their new screens. If the supply is that big the price has to drop.

Dave

Old 01-14-2004, 04:06 AM
DuaneAA
Pupil

Wasn't there talk a couple of weeks ago of the 'Virtual Keyboard' being demoed at CES? Did anyone one get to play with it or was it to premiere at some other tradeshow?

Thanks,
Duane

Old 01-14-2004, 04:12 AM
Paragon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA
Wasn't there talk a couple of weeks ago of the 'Virtual Keyboard' being demoed at CES? Did anyone one get to play with it or was it to premiere at some other tradeshow?

Thanks,
Duane
Yup, it was there. I was very impressed with it. I found it rather hard to see in normal lighting, but other who aren't color blind like myself seemed to see it better. They plan to have models for most Ipaqs in about six weeks, and eventually have IrDA, and Bluetoooth versions as well. The cost is about 100 bucks.

http://www.ibizpda.com/

Dave

Old 01-14-2004, 06:21 AM
lsbeller
Pupil

I thought some PocketPC Phone Editions were shown as CES?

Old 01-14-2004, 09:30 AM
wxrman
Pupil
Default Audiovox 5050

"Audiovox Communications Corporation announced that it will launch the PPC 5050. The announcement was made at the Consumer Electronics Show 2004 (CES) in Las Vegas. In addition to being a pocket PC and dual band CDMA/PCS wireless phone, the PPC 5050 is equipped with Microsoft Windows Mobile Phone Edition 2003, an Intel 400MHz Processor, 64 MB Memory, and a built-in SD/MMC slot for extra memory. The PPC 5050 also has an integrated MP3 player. This compact, multi-purpose handheld unit provides wireless voice and data communications on the CDMA2000 1xEVDO and 1xRTT platforms. This model is based on the HTC Falcon reference design."

Old 01-14-2004, 03:52 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbeller
I thought some PocketPC Phone Editions were shown as CES?
I mean that Pocket PCs were not mentioned in the PC World article. ;-)

Old 01-14-2004, 04:52 PM
daS
Thinker

Hi Jason,

I posted the first two of a series of articles from CES on my BluetoothNews site. Of course these early articles focused on Bluetooth, but that always includes some Pocket PC news.

The show was great for me: a lot of new Bluetooth products - and this time they are actually being shipped to North America.

I also had a good one-on-one interview with Mike McCamon - Executive Director of the Bluetooth SIG. That is probably the next article I'm going to have up on my site.

We also signed up a couple of sponsors for BluetoothNews. Along with off-setting some of the costs of doing business, they are providing a few prizes for us to give away. So stay tuned, we'll be announcing some give-aways shortly. 8)

As I said, it was a great show for me! Wish you could have been there. :|

BTW: Another good article about the show is here on the HowStuffWorks.com site. They covered a number of the same things that I did (such as Wherify and OQO.)