Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-13-2004, 06:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Vaja Custom iPAQ 4150 Case: Same Quality Case, New Look

http://www.vajacases.com/affiliate&ID=100

Vaja has re-branded, and their new look includes a significant change in the packaging and presentation of their cases. First generation Vaja cases came in a classy black box, and the case was inside a leather pouch. When Vaja released their i-Volution line of hard cases, they were delivered in a slick form-fitting box. Now Vaja is delivering the cases in a new box, with a new look, and I've taken a series of images to show both the case I was sent and the new packaging that goes along with it. Let's take a closer look at the Vaja 935 iPAQ 4150 case...

Figure 1: The new box with new branding from Vaja. It's a slick-looking box, although it doesn't have the elegance of the first generation i-Volution cases.

Figure 2: Inside the new box you'll be presented first with a plastic card. On this card you'll find a statement of quality, where Vaja explains their standards of excellence. Impressive!

Figure 3: The case is hidden under the cardboard, but as soon as I opened the main flap, the wafting scent of leather greeted me. Mmm. :-)

Figure 4: A wide shot of the Vaja 935 case and my iPAQ 4150 nestled in it.

Figure 5: The Vaja case, as you would expect, fits like a leather glove.

Figure 6: There's a cut away on the leather to expose the power button, although I wish it was a touch thinner - I tend to press the power button from the bottom rather than the top, and sometimes I hit the leather rather than the button.

Figure 7: The standard two SD card slots, deep enough for two standard SD memory cards, but not an SDIO WiFi card. Then again, why would you need one if you have an iPAQ 4150? ;-) There's also slot for business cards.

Figure 8: A full frontal shot of the Vaja 935 case. I love the texture of the leather - it has a lot of character.

Figure 9: A close-up that shows the metal Vaja logo and the leather texture I was talking about.

Figure 10: A slightly off-centre hole for the 3.5mm headphone connection, but not off-centre enough to cause problems with cables.

Figure 11: The left side of the case - now that the iPAQ 4150 has given users back the record button, Vaja has made it easy to access by leaving a wide area of space open. I prefer this approach rather than trying to craft a small hole the side of the button - pressure access is always more of a hassle when the leather is anywhere near the button. There's also a small hole for performing soft resets with the stylus - the 4150 is amazingly stable, so it's rare that I have to perform a soft reset, but it's handy to have that hole if and when I need access to that button.

Vaja has one again produced an excellent case that's both stylish and intelligently designed. Sometimes I wish Vaja would send me a sub-par case so I could actually have something critical to say about them! My only criticism of this case is that they don't have a magnetic closure option - I prefer to have cases as slim as possible, and the snap adds a little to the overall bulk of the case.

If you want a classy, attractive leather case for your iPAQ 4150, Vaja delivers in spades - you can order from their Web site, and if you're a full subscriber you can save $20 off the price of the case by using the discount coupon.

Old 01-13-2004, 06:12 PM
jeasher
Intellectual

Now where's the case for my h4355? Build it Vaja and I will buy!

Old 01-13-2004, 06:16 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Vaja Custom iPAQ 4150 Case: Same Quality Case, New Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
My only criticism of this case is that they don't have a magnetic closure option - I prefer to have cases as slim as possible, and the snap adds a little to the overall bulk of the case.
I liked the magnetic closure on my 3650's case, but truth be told, it never really lined up 100%. The magnets always wanted to sit a little off center of each other.

I think I prefer the snap closure now. My wife's 1910 case is a snap, and it's great. I've been meaning to order a Vaja for my 4150, just have to get off my bum, and do it!

Old 01-13-2004, 06:20 PM
mcdj
Neophyte
Default oof

I love Vaja's quality, but, no offense, that is the butt ugliest Planet Of The Apes lookin leather I've ever seen.

mc

Old 01-13-2004, 06:29 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Vaja Custom iPAQ 4150 Case: Same Quality Case, New Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRocket
I liked the magnetic closure on my 3650's case, but truth be told, it never really lined up 100%. The magnets always wanted to sit a little off center of each other.
My sentiments exactly - I had the same experience with my Vaja 3650 case. I prefer the snaps as well. I suspect Vaja has improved their magnet placement over the years, but they're still going to cause small bulges at the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj
I love Vaja's quality, but, no offense, that is the butt ugliest Planet Of The Apes lookin leather I've ever seen.
Everyone has different tastes. That's why Vaja has the variety...

--janak

Old 01-13-2004, 06:43 PM
ojleblanc
Pupil

I have the exact same leather and color for my Tungsten C Vaja case. Its fantastic! :wink:

Old 01-13-2004, 06:48 PM
bbarker
Philosopher

I just want the absolute thinnest case I can get that will provide screen protection. This doesn't appear to be it, although I haven't seen it in person.

Old 01-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Barak
Ponderer

I keep waiting for Vaja to announce a 435x case, but the last time I
e-mailed them, they indicated they had no "current plans" for such a case.

Why does it seem like the 435x gets the short end of the stick with accessories?? :cry:

Old 01-13-2004, 07:48 PM
jeasher
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak
I keep waiting for Vaja to announce a 435x case, but the last time I
e-mailed them, they indicated they had no "current plans" for such a case.

Why does it seem like the 435x gets the short end of the stick with accessories?? :cry:
No worries dude, it was the same way when the h1910 first came out. There are a few cases available on the market now, and more are on the way. Proporta has a metal case coming and Vaja told me a leather case is in the works. I just heard back from them the other day, I don't know why they told you differently. I have a feeling Vaja will also come out with an I-Volution case but that's just a hunch. It would seem a perfect fit for this model.

Old 01-13-2004, 08:18 PM
Pat Logsdon
Magi

It's a bit odd that they sent you a unit with the old logo on it - most of the pics on their site show cases with the new (cooler looking) "v" logo...