Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 01-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Coming attractions - What Will the Next iPAQ Be?

http://www.ipaqabilities.com/review...s_next_ipaq.php

"We've seen a lot of different iPAQ Pocket PC's being launched first by Compaq, and now by HP. Unless HP has a best kept iPAQ secret under wraps, presumably, the next iPAQ Pocket PC to be released should be the much acclaimed H6000 series. This iPAQ would have a 3.5 inch transflective display with 65000 colours, an integrated VGA camera, SDIO slot, a removable 1850mAH Lithium Ion battery, 64MB RAM/64MB ROM, Bluetooth (v 1.1), WLAN 802.11b, and Quad-band GSM/GPRS (class 10) built-in. This iPAQ will apparently be roughly the same size of the H2200 series and more specifically, should be released in March 2004. Although there has been no clear mention of which processor it will use, there is a lot of speculation that HP will be using the OMAP processor from Texas Instruments. One fact that remains unknown is the speed and specifically which processor will be used in this iPAQ Pocket PC..."

The speculation about the new iPAQ continues, and in this intriguing article, Marc from iPAQabilities.com has dug up some tantalizing bits of information. A must read!

Old 01-12-2004, 04:14 PM
Phoenix
Sage

Now this is what I've been waiting for!!! Very nice specs!

I think the only thing I would ask for would be two SD slots. One to permanently allow for primary storage/backup/memory expansion, and one for when I'm transfering data from another devices SD card without having to remove my primary storage SD.

Nevertheless, this is very exciting, and apart from dual SD slots, it sounds fantastic!

8)

Old 01-12-2004, 04:26 PM
ledowning
Ponderer

This is getting closer to what I want all the time. I'm between PDAs right now and am trying to decide what to get next. The choices right now are IPAQ 2210, Toshiba e805 and possibly the new Dell X7. Any PDA that I purchase needs to have both SD and Compact Flash slots so that I can use the various accessories and cards that I had used with my old Jornada 568.

Old 01-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

Sounds like the Wanda technology we all heard about is finally making its way into a device.

That should set an interesting standard for the rest of the market as far as connectivity goes.

Old 01-12-2004, 04:39 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

64M ROM, that's nice. Hopefully we will get to take advantage of what is left over. The 24M of user ROM in the Axim was very usefull. Hopefully it will get a little more stable. The current iPAQ File Store seems to be a crap shoot based on the web comments. I wouldn't know, I don't use it. 2.8M of ROM isn't worth taking the chance. (2215 and 4155 BTW)

64M of RAM...Come on..can't we get passed that? We know it is possible. Do PPC OEMs have some sort of arrangement with Flash Memory makers, to keep the RAM low? Trust me, more RAM will not make me buy any less flash memory, it will just make my life better. Chant with me now OEMs, MORE RAM..MORE ram...more ram.

Old 01-12-2004, 04:45 PM
ntractv
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to ntractv

What about 128mb on-board RAM?

Old 01-12-2004, 04:54 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

No doubt this model will be uber-expensive. I'm terrified to see the MSRP. 8O

Old 01-12-2004, 04:57 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

:drool:

Gimme, Gimme, Gimme!!!

Old 01-12-2004, 04:57 PM
iPAQ_ace
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven
64M of RAM...Come on..can't we get passed that? We know it is possible. Do PPC OEMs have some sort of arrangement with Flash Memory makers, to keep the RAM low? Trust me, more RAM will not make me buy any less flash memory, it will just make my life better. Chant with me now OEMs, MORE RAM..MORE ram...more ram.
Amen brother! The 128MB's on my H5550, well, what's left of my 128MB's of RAM is pleading me for more!! :lol: :helpme:

Old 01-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Air
Pupil

there are a lot of conflicting rumor about this h6000, even fresh rumor from Vegas indicating that h600 is canceled because of its complexity.

But if it is out soon, we sure hasn't seen any FCC pictures.