Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-07-2004, 11:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Audiovox introduces new Pocket PC Phone Edition

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.a...?ContentId=2106

"Audiovox Communications Corporation announced that it will launch the PPC 5050. The announcement was made at the Consumer Electronics Show 2004 (CES) in Las Vegas. In addition to being a pocket PC and dual band CDMA/PCS wireless phone, the PPC 5050 is equipped with Microsoft Windows Mobile Phone Edition 2003, an Intel 400MHz Processor, 64 MB Memory, and a built-in SD/MMC slot for extra memory. The PPC 5050 also has an integrated MP3 player. This compact, multi-purpose handheld unit provides wireless voice and data communications on the CDMA2000 1xEVDO and 1xRTT platforms. This model is based on the HTC Falcon reference design."

Old 01-08-2004, 12:14 AM
bblock
Ponderer

Slightly off-topic, but I notice there's no mention of Bluetooth on this device.

I must have missed something along the way...why is it again that is so very rare to see a CDMA (1xRTT) device with Bluetooth? Is it technology, or business, or other? I've heard several people say 1xRTT is so much better (or at least faster) than GPRS, and I'm waiting for a 1x PPC Phone Edition that I can use as a wireless modem for a Tablet PC via Bluetooth. Granted, slower wireless access may still be better than faster, wired access, but not necessarily.

Can anyone point me to a thread/site that discusses why this is, and how the situation may evolve in the near future?

-Bryan

Old 01-08-2004, 01:13 AM
Cortex
Philosopher

looks familiar

Old 01-08-2004, 01:22 AM
s1km4n
Neophyte

The lack of Bluetooth in CDMA devices has to do with the fact that Qualcomm is the only provider (AFAIK, since they own the patent) of CDMA chipsets. I have only seen 1 or 2 CDMA phones that have built-in Bluetooth. I'll see if I can find a link to such a discussion and will post it when I get a chance.

Old 01-08-2004, 02:42 AM
yawanag
Thinker
Default Audiovox

This is so T-Mobile to me.

Old 01-08-2004, 04:23 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1km4n
The lack of Bluetooth in CDMA devices has to do with the fact that Qualcomm is the only provider (AFAIK, since they own the patent) of CDMA chipsets.
Incorrect on several points. Qualcomm has built Bluetooth support into their chipsets for years. In addition, Nokia has designed its CDMA chipset from the ground-up; they do not use Qualcomm's. I believe they do pay some licensing fee, however, due to the patents.

In fact, the Sony Ericsson T608 is now available from Sprint -- it's a CDMA phone with Bluetooth support! I held it in my hand yesterday -- apart from the fact the case is different, it strongly resembles the T68 in its button and menu layout (and, unfortunately, menu speed -- but I was used to that).

No, in other words, the problem is that CDMA providers are idiots and refuse to sell Bluetooth phones. The explanation I've heard is that they fear it will overload their network and mess up their data pricing. In fact, Sprint only sells the T608 with a limited data plan, and not in stores -- you must call them -- and only in limited quantities (a one-time run), and only with considerable prodding from the community.

--janak

Old 01-08-2004, 04:28 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortex
looks familiar
Yes -- as Jason said, it's based on the HTC Falcon, which is a CDMA 1xRTT Pocket PC Phone we posted on earlier. Rumor has it that Sprint will carry it, but I've heard no confirmation.

In addition, since it's HTC, it strongly resembles their first-generation GSM Pocket PC Phone.

--janak

Old 01-08-2004, 05:30 AM
freitasm
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
No, in other words, the problem is that CDMA providers are idiots and refuse to sell Bluetooth phones. The explanation I've heard is that they fear it will overload their network and mess up their data pricing. In fact, Sprint only sells the T608 with a limited data plan, and not in stores -- you must call them -- and only in limited quantities (a one-time run), and only with considerable prodding from the community.
Indeed they're! You can't imagine how many queries I'm getting (on PM) from people on Sprint trying to connect their Pocket PC via Bluetooth. The answer from Sprint? We don't know how to do it.

For goodness sake, we only need to know the number (#777) and user/password to connect. Nothing else. But even so they refuse to give this info - even though this is available for laptop users with PC cards.

Stupid? Plain. the T608 IS NOT available on flat fee plans. It comes with a 3MB cap. No wonder people move to GPRS mobile phones. :?

Old 01-09-2004, 05:10 AM
Paragon
Magi

I had the opportunity to see this device today. So just to confirm a couple of things. It does NOT have IO capabilities. It does NOT have Bluetooth. It does have type I GPS (Tower based, not satellite based)

Interestingly, it has a partner. The PPC5000...more commonly know as the XDAII!!!! Audiovox are rebranding it and are pursuing USA carriers. 8)

Dave

Old 01-09-2004, 05:22 AM
freitasm
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon
Interestingly, it has a partner. The PPC5000...more commonly know as the XDAII!!!! Audiovox are rebranding it and are pursuing USA carriers. 8)
The difference is one is CDMA with GPS/no Bluetooth and the other one is GPRS no GPS/Bluetooth...