Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 12-29-2003, 03:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Bluetooth Modem Review

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=2063

One of the things keeping me from going with the smaller iPAQ 1945 or 4000 series is a lack of a compact flash slot. I still need to use a plain old 56K modem sometimes and there just aren't any in a SD format. One of the alternatives though is a new bluetooth modem. Simply bond your device to the modem, plug a phone line into the modem and dial away.

Geekzone has aquired the Zoom 4300 Bluetooth Modem and written up a review of it. "In less than three minutes I had the modem connected to our landline and from the home office I was able to pair and dial up to our network. The modem is a Class 1 device, which means a 100 meter range when used with another Class 1 device. In my case the laptop is equipped with a Bluetake BT007, another Class 1 device."

Three minutes? Now that is how bluetooth is supposed to work. I am 99% sure this is it at Amazon (affiliate) though there is no mention of bluetooth or an image. The part number is right.

Old 12-29-2003, 05:31 PM
dma1965
Thinker

:mrgreen:
BRAVO ED !!!!
I even ordered one!
Will post later on results!

Old 12-29-2003, 05:31 PM
Thinkingmandavid
Pontificator
Send a message via ICQ to Thinkingmandavid Send a message via Yahoo to Thinkingmandavid

That is interesting, that could really be useful in traveling. wi fi and is not always readily available, and some people may prefer this over using thier cell phone minutes on their bt phone. If they are with a carrier that does not offer a bt phone, then this can really make a difference in traveling

Old 12-29-2003, 06:00 PM
Hooked
Pupil

It is definitely good to see that bluetooth-enabled products are maturing in both function and configuration.

With the integration of both Bluetooth and WiFi in current pda's (and the addition of GPRS capability in the immediate future), it is quite convenient to take advantage of whatever communication access happens to be available at a given moment.

However, I think the impulse to eliminate the compact flash slot in the newer PDA's by some of the manufacturer's is a mistake.Wireless is not yet universal in coverage, access, or reliability.

I recently needed internet access and found that my bluetooth-enabled smartphone had no data access at a friend's house.I simply pulled the Socket Bluetooth CF card out of my Axim X5, popped in my Ambicom 56k modem, and was connected in less than a minute.And the CF modem fits in the top pocket of my flip case, so I pretty much always have it with the pda.

That kind of flexibility is extremely valuable.If they can make an SD to CF adapter, why not SDIO to CF.Then you could save space by having a single slot, but still use both expansion cards.

Regarding Bluetooth accessories, anyone know whatever happened to the Toshiba Bluetooth-enabled hard drive?That seemed like a worthwhile device, especially given the cost of the larger CF and SD memory cards.

Old 12-29-2003, 07:52 PM
adamz
Thinker

Looks like the same hardware as the ones made by EXP Computer. That's the one I got when they first came out: http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a...reviews&id=265

I wouldn't leave a T-Mobile USA coverage area without it. Great compliment to my XDA 2.

Old 12-30-2003, 03:11 AM
24va
Intellectual

Got one for sale :wink:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...132&highlight=
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1Cor 1:18 In hand:*Axim x50v; 2gb SD; 4gb CF;*LG 325 Contributing Editor - pocketnow.com