Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 12-18-2003, 02:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Axim X5 Basic No More?

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/pda?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

It seems Dell has quietly dropped the Axim X5 Basic. The Basic is outwardly an identical twin to the X5 Advanced but has a slower processor, 300Mhz vs 400Mhz, less RAM and ROM, 32MB vs 64MB and 32MB vs 48MB respectively and didn't ship with a cradle.

The X5 Advanced is still on Dell's site for $278 and of course the X3 and X3i (wireless) is there. Given the X5 came out in November of 2002, it is downright ancient in PDA terms. I suspect Dell is clearing out their old inventory and the long rumored X7 may be on the way.

Old 12-18-2003, 02:37 PM
Timothy Rapson
Thinker
Default Disappointing

I have been disappointed in Dell this year. I expected a $149 X3 as promised, but the X3 is selling for more than the X5 basic did and is even more expensive than the sleek Ipaq H1935!

Dell really missed a chance to save users money and increase functionality by including a CF slot in the X3. It is already bigger than either the Toshiba or HP competing models. It needs to be cheaper than they are, but it isn't.

I heard 6 months ago that the X3 was going to replace the X5 altogether. Looks like Dell had more X5 advances in stock than X3s. I guess when they are sold they will be no more. I have not heard anything about any X7. From what I understand the X3 wifi model is what the X7 was supposed to be.

Ah, well.

Old 12-18-2003, 02:49 PM
dh
Mystic

I've not been thrilled by Dell this year either. I love my X5 and have been impressed with Dell's support - ie replacement shipping service. I would be happy to buy my next PDA from them but they haven't come up with anything yet.

I wanted a low cost PPC for my daughter and ended up with a $145.00 e355. I would have got a basic X3 had it been in this price range. I would like to upgrade from my X5 too, but Dell has no offering at all to do this. I'm enjoying 1.5 GB of memory between my CF and SD cards so I'm not in the market for any single slot device.

So if Dell wants my business, the X7 had better arrive, complete with great specs, before I get tempted by something else.

Old 12-18-2003, 03:28 PM
hopeful797
Pupil

it can still be ordered at the small biz website. you just have to order the X5 advanced and then choose a 300mhz processor optin and dump the cradle.

Old 12-18-2003, 03:36 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

I'm so not interested in the X3i, I'm looking into the Ipaq 4150/55...

The X3i is not what I really expected, and for crying out loud it's only their second PDA and ALREADY THEY'RE CHANGING THE DAMNED CONNECTOR ON THE UNIT.

I'm sorry, but that's just dumb.

I'm seriously underwhelmed by the X3i enough to move to another brand even though I love my X5... I wonder if its sales have matched that of the X5 at all?

Old 12-18-2003, 05:37 PM
shawnc
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzosi
The X3i is not what I really expected, and for crying out loud it's only their second PDA and ALREADY THEY'RE CHANGING THE DAMNED CONNECTOR ON THE UNIT.
Couldn't agree more. Dell had me right where they wanted me. With an X5 and ready to upgrade to integrated wireless with a smaller form-factor. I eagerly waited for the X3. Once released, I was soooo disapointed. Thought about not upgrading at all, then got a look at the 4150. The rest is history.

Modified - I don't mean to disparage the X3 as I'm sure it is a great machine. It's just, based on the functionality/price-point of the X5, I was expecting a bit more. However, if the X3 performs anywhere near the X5, X3 owners will love it.

Old 12-18-2003, 05:59 PM
Rondjones54
Pupil
Default X3i

I'm waiting for the X15!

Really...I have an X3i. I've owned a casio e-125, Compaq 3850, 3950, and an HP 2210. Oh, and I had a Jornada 620 once.
I like the X3i. It's fast, has a great screen, wifi is fun to work with.

Old 12-18-2003, 10:49 PM
David Prahl
Pontificator

I agree with most of you - Dell should've dropped the X3 basic price more, or the decreased the price of the X5 basic to $150 or less.

I've working on a review of the X3i - don't ignore it just because it lacks a CF slot!

Old 12-19-2003, 01:15 AM
dh
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Prahl
..... don't ignore it just because it lacks a CF slot!
But it's hard to get your CF cards into an SD slot. :lol:

Old 12-19-2003, 01:19 AM
David Prahl
Pontificator

I think most people will agree that SD is becoming wildly popular, and only geeks and photography buffs need the power and expandibility of CF.