Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 12-18-2003, 06:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Put a DVD on your Pocket PC

http://www.handango.com/brainstore/...productId=94375

Now THIS looks like some interesting software! I have a few DVDs that I own in Pocket PC format, but the process is long and painful, and I've been waiting for an "all in one" solution that would do the trick. This looks like it might be it - it you live outside the US, Norway, and Malaysia that is. :wink:

"This software allows you to convert a DVD to your Pocket PC and watch it in great quality, with stereo sound and in full screen landscape mode. A memorycard as small as 128 Mb is sufficient to store a full length feature film. Take your DVD's on the plane, train or automobile, watch them on vacation, at work or at school. With only two clicks, this PC software automatically converts the content of your DVD to a super small movie file, which will play on any Windows Mobile 2003 device, such as HP iPaq, on a postage stamp size memory card. Due to regulatory limitations this software may not be used by citizens of the U.S.A., Norway and Malaysia to convert copy-protected DVD's. Makayama Software supports fair use."

You can download a free trial or purchase this application for $24.99. [Affiliate]

Old 12-18-2003, 06:09 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

*sighs* The DMCA strikes again. :evil:

Old 12-18-2003, 06:12 PM
newbie2
Pupil

But why just three countries? U.S.A., Norway and Malaysia? What is so significant about this country that it was not allowed? Is it the cyberlaw in this country? Doesn't other country have the law too?

Old 12-18-2003, 06:26 PM
Mitch D
Sage

I hope Santa brings me that 256MB SD card I asked for, heck lunch time at work won't be so boring anymore...

Old 12-18-2003, 06:27 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2
But why just three countries? U.S.A., Norway and Malaysia? What is so significant about this country that it was not allowed? Is it the cyberlaw in this country? Doesn't other country have the law too?
Yes, local laws are the reasons why it would not be for sale in those countries - the developer doesn't want to have the legal hassle, and I can't blame him.

Old 12-18-2003, 06:37 PM
csterns
Intellectual

Okay, so how would one know where you are or aren't when you go to download it?

Old 12-18-2003, 07:01 PM
markcrump
Ponderer

Your IP address identifies the county of origion, as well as the address on your credit card.

Old 12-18-2003, 07:09 PM
csterns
Intellectual

Okay, so how does one work around this? I'd like to buy the software and convert some DVD's into movies and this program is what I have been waiting for. The other process is how Jason describes it which is why I haven't bothered. It's not worth all that effort and pain.

Old 12-18-2003, 07:11 PM
dh
Mystic

A few things.
1. This only works with WM2003 devices.
2. The demo version will only encode the first five minutes of a DVD
3. The disclaimer only says that US (and the other country) citizens can't use the software for DRM DVDs, not that they can't buy it.

Anyway, I downloaded the trial to see how the quality and size was compared to the Smart Ripper/Virtual Dud technique - that's when I discovered the five minute thing, although it does say that on the Handango page as well.

So anyway, I ordered the real version and am waiting to see if I get the reg code from the developer. I am in the US but I'm a UK citizen so can use this. If there's a problem I'll fight to get my money back from Handango (should be entertaining) and have my son in London get the code.

Since this is for WM2003, I can't use it for myself but we bought an e355 for our daughter and this would be great for the Disney movies she has.

Old 12-18-2003, 07:40 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh

So anyway, I ordered the real version and am waiting to see if I get the reg code from the developer. I am in the US but I'm a UK citizen so can use this. If there's a problem I'll fight to get my money back from Handango (should be entertaining) and have my son in London get the code.

Since this is for WM2003, I can't use it for myself but we bought an e355 for our daughter and this would be great for the Disney movies she has.
Let us know how it works out....