Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 12-09-2003, 08:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Audiovox Thera - $99 At Verizon Wireless

http://www.verizonwireless.com/zip/...ernet_exclusive

While the Samsung i700, in my opinion, comes close to being the ultimate CDMA Pocket PC Phone, it's not cheap -- $599 with two-year contract, to be precise. 8O And since Verizon doesn't let Amazon or other companies resell their product, discounts aren't readily available. If that's out of your budget, and you need Verizon coverage, there's an alternative -- the Audiovox Thera.

It's not a mind-blowing Pocket PC -- in fact, it's a Pocket PC 2002 device (no planned upgrade to WM2003), with a 206MHz StrongARM processor and a reflective display -- and mediocre battery life. However, it is currently selling for $99 from Verizon with a contract, which is very cheap. (I don't know if it requires a 2-year contract for that price, or if a 1-year contract is enough.)

Old 12-09-2003, 08:35 PM
csterns
Intellectual

To me these devices are worthless without BT. I'm itching for the release of the XDA II (may have model info wrong) that has BT in it. If I'm going to carry something that big around as a phone I sure as heck want a wireless headset connection especially with something this expensive. I can't tell you how many times I've had the ear plug plugged into my ear and stepped out of the car only to have my cell phone following behind me clunking away on the ground like a new puppy on a leash. Not cool. 8)

Old 12-09-2003, 08:45 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by csterns
To me these devices are worthless without BT. I'm itching for the release of the XDA II (may have model info wrong) that has BT in it.
Chris...psst:

http://estore.shopplex.com/app/store...92059015&aid=5

;-)

Old 12-09-2003, 08:52 PM
ShivShanks
Intellectual
Default Re: Audiovox Thera - $99 At Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
However, it is currently selling for $99 from Verizon with a contract, which is very cheap. (I don't know if it requires a 2-year contract for that price, or if a 1-year contract is enough.)
I just checked. Its with a 2 year contract. With a one year contract its $149 plus a $35 activation fee which is only waived for the 2 year contract. So it comes to actually $184. Now this phone is pretty much useless for voice what with the 8 hour! standby time. So you'd use it for data only. The data plan is $39 for 20 MB per month. All in all I still think its not worth it for the money with the 1 year plan. It has absolutely pathetic battery life. Now if you are okay with a 2 year plan then maybe it might make sense. But I would wait for the next years crop of WM2003 PPC PDAs instead.

Old 12-09-2003, 08:59 PM
adamz
Thinker

@Chris.. also check:
http://www.phones4devs.com/index.asp

$100 off if you use the discount code:
modaco4067212377

Old 12-09-2003, 10:27 PM
fletch
Pupil

I would suggest that maybe these ETENs are a better GSM alternative

Old 12-10-2003, 01:45 AM
yawanag
Thinker

$100 off if you use the discount code:
modaco4067212377

I'm grinning with glee as I watch the price drop and the discount offers. I'll let you guys know when I'm ready to pounce. :lol:

Old 12-10-2003, 03:21 AM
arnage2
Oracle

it isnt a phone edition device. THe phone features would suck without it.

Old 12-10-2003, 03:56 AM
csterns
Intellectual

Jason psst: I'd like to see one of the Cell carriers offer this cause I'm not sure I want to fork out that kind of money. But, hey, I just upgraded my Tablet PC after 3 months so anything is possible.

Old 12-10-2003, 06:43 PM
mmerino
Neophyte

does that ppc phone has sdio on it? according to the owners manual that i downloaded (verizon's and/or sprint pcs' thera/toshiba 2032 models) states that it may be possible to use SD / SDIO devices. if this is the case then can i use sdio bluetooth or wifi?