Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 12-04-2003, 03:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Free Internet Plan From T-Mobile?

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=237460

According to a forum at HowardForums, T-Mobile has a new internet data plan that is free and allows unlimited usage, but it isn't totally open like the for-pay plans.

� Every single one of their voice plans has unlimited WAP browsing, but it also allows regular HTTP browsing.
� It only allows access to ports 80 (web surfing), 25 (smtp mail sending) and 110 (pop mail port) to be accessed though. So no SSL, FTP, instant messaging, etc.

If you need to connect to SSL sites, want to use instant messenger, use VPN to connect to your office, use Terminal Server or Citrix over the internet, FTP or other internet apps, you'll need to pay for the $30/mo. unlimited plan they introduced this past summer. It is only $20 if you have a voice plan. For basic internet access though, you can't beat free! :mrgreen:

Old 12-04-2003, 03:43 PM
sub_tex
Theorist

Wow. It's stuff like this that make me more and more confident that T-Mobile will be my next cell provider once my Sprint contract is up.

:way to go:

Old 12-04-2003, 03:44 PM
cklaszlo
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to cklaszlo

AIM Tip.

Not sure if this will work. But couldn't you loginto Aim Express:

http://www.aim.com/get_aim/express/aim_expr.adp?aolp=

I just got a TMobile T610. Arrives 2moro. Can't wait to try this out!!!

Old 12-04-2003, 04:07 PM
popabawa
Intellectual

Can I add a filter that will get rid of articles like this that make me want to cry (with envy).

It sucks living in the UK sometimes...

Old 12-04-2003, 04:18 PM
msdawe
Pupil

My experience with T-Mobile is that the people at the T-Mobile stores don't know what T-Mobile has to offer. From the store, I asked for unlimited internet on my voice account and they wanted to charge me $19.95/month. I called customer service (611) and they told me it was $9.95. But that was also made my one year contract start over.

Although, I think I'm finding that AIM and ICQ don't work anymore. So maybe this is why.

Old 12-04-2003, 04:41 PM
danmanmayer
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to danmanmayer
Default comfirmed?

Has anyone confirmed or tested this because i don't need ssl or anything just e-mail and regular net and I am paying 20 a month for internet right now from T-mobile..... So anyone got a clue?

Old 12-04-2003, 05:09 PM
fyiguy
Intellectual

I tried it out yesterday and setup my wifes T610 to work via bluetooth with her PocketPC. It worked and it looks like I too will now be cancelling my $19.99/month plan, which I started a few weeks ago.

You can download pop mail and webpages just fine except for secure sites (https) or ones that require a MS Passport. Some people have got around using IMs by configuring their IM client to use port 80 and it worked for them.

To set it up on your PPC it is a bit different than setting up the standard GPRS connection where no extra dial string commands are needed to define the APN.

I just went to connection settings and setup the BT modem with a baud rate of 115.2k. Phone number is just the standard *99# and make sure the wait for dial tone before dialing is unchecked. You will also need to setup the dialing locations, dialing patterns to G for local,long distance, and international calls.

Then just go to IE and it should automatically connect to your phone via BT if you paired your phone correctly. It also works with popmail as well.

My wife was so pleased that she can now read her email on the go as well as check a few websites she manges while on the go.l

I am really impressed that Tmobile has offered this service for all customers, that have a $19.99 plan or more!

It may now be worth it to spring $8.95 a month for GoToMyPC since its Java client works over port 80 and I should get the same functionality of my desktop on my PPC if I need it.

:mrgreen:

Old 12-04-2003, 05:17 PM
Yorch
Ponderer

I tried in my T-mobile Pocket PC, and it doesn't seems to work, or am I doing something wrong?

I just changed the Internet settings, from internet2.voicestream.com to wap.voicestream.com, anybody has a clue?

Old 12-04-2003, 05:24 PM
hotweiss
Ponderer

You can still maybe use the mobile java version of ICQ (http://go.icq.com), which uses your web browser to connect to the ICQ server. Can anyone confirm this?

Old 12-04-2003, 05:55 PM
fyiguy
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotweiss
You can still maybe use the mobile java version of ICQ (http://go.icq.com), which uses your web browser to connect to the ICQ server. Can anyone confirm this?
I get a page not found...