Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 11-18-2003, 03:00 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Email Problem With Windows Mobile 2003 And Your ISP?

Since Windows Mobile 2003 has been released, some have reported problems getting email where their previous Pocket PC 2002 devices had no problems with the same server. It may be a combination of more advanced features in the new Inbox client and a misconfiguration on your ISP's server. If your email server has SSL enabled but it isn't working for whatever reason (no certificate, mis-configured, etc.) Pocket PC 2003 will fail. It sees the server is SSL capable and when it can't negotiate a secure connection, it just gives up and reports a failure to you. Pocket PC 2002 devices of course didn't support SSL so they never knew the SSL connection wasn't working.

The answer is a registry hack. I don't recommend you do this unless you have this problem as it could disable your ability to use email servers that are properly SSL configured, or your email is done over an open unsecured connection. This seems to be a system wide setting, not a per inbox setting.

1. For registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Inbox, create new DWORD ForceOffSSL and give it a value of 1.
2. Soft-reset device (or stop Inbox and restart Inbox)

Old 11-18-2003, 04:38 AM
dhettel
Thinker

So if you are a Zoomtown, or Fuse user in Cincinnati, this applies to you. 8O

David

Old 11-18-2003, 04:53 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

I'm hoping to hear from some Comcast users too. That is the group that introduced me to this problem.

Old 11-18-2003, 04:55 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

:clap: Ed's da man!

POP3 email in Inbox!

That'll hold me over until WebIS Mail is released.

(now if I only knew why the account suddenly started working several months ago, before I did a hard reset in order to upgrade the rom that was being finicky about taking the upgrade.)

Edit: I use a little-known ISP commonly referred to as CableRocket.

Old 11-18-2003, 05:04 AM
185driver
Pupil

I had been scouring online WM2003 reviews and MS web info for any word of whether Inbox now has the capability to handle SSL servers, but with no luck.

This is great news Ed. I know it wasn't the point of your post, but thanks for the info on Inbox's new SSL feature.

Old 11-18-2003, 07:27 AM
logo20heli
Pupil

I am a Comcast user and this has fixed that terrible 1-minute timeout during a mail retreival session. Thanks Ed for the fix.

Old 11-18-2003, 08:07 AM
jlafount
Pupil

I had the same problem with my provider. Now I've seen the light. I can send emails again.

Old 11-18-2003, 01:21 PM
Ollie03031
Pupil

Ed, I tried the fix on my 2210 that connects to an exchange 5.5 email server but it did not solve my send email problem. Luckly I also have access to a UNIX server at work that I am able to send email from with no problem. Can't wait until my company updates to exchange 2000. Then we will only be 3 years out of date.

Old 11-19-2003, 04:32 AM
volwrath
Ponderer

Ed,

I tried the fix to no avail with mo Comcast account. Then I unchecked SSL in the acct setting and everything worked fine.

Thanks!