Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 11-16-2003, 02:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Microsoft, Partners Delay SPOT Watches

http://www.extremetech.com/article2...2129TX1K0000532

"Originally slated to launch at Comdex next week, the SPOT watch designed by Microsoft Corp. and its partners has been delayed until the first quarter of 2004 to accommodate further testing. Executives at Citizen Watch Co., one of the companies slated to manufacture SPOT watches, also said Friday that they may pull out of the partnership and not ship a SPOT watch at all. The watches were originally supposed to ship this fall, according to a speech made by Microsoft's chief software architect, Bill Gates, at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this past January. Partners, including Citizen, Fossil Inc. and Suunto � said they were working with Microsoft to develop and commercialize the new technology."

There was some interest in SPOT technology around this site, so I thought this news might be interesting to some of you. Does anything ever launch on time in the tech industry? :roll:

Old 11-16-2003, 02:30 PM
Glohamar
Intellectual

I justed checked out http://www.spotwatches.com and on their Launch Update page it says that Microsoft wants to launch watch sales sometime during the Consumer Electronics Show. That would be January 8, 2004 at Las Vegas. We shall see.

Dave

Old 11-16-2003, 05:21 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

I'm certainly interested in getting my wrist on one of these (or is that the other way around?). I'm not 100% sure why just yet, but I see some pretty cool future in these things. The weather and traffic reports aren't too useful to me, but I could see them being a cool idea for a lot of additional data.

One thing that popped into my mind last night- We waited for 2 hours to get into the Cheesecake Factory which uses those little self contained pagers to let you know when your slot at the feeding trough is ready. Instead of using those little pagers that require you to be in the immediate area, are apparently not returned often times, and in general duplicitous for most of us that carry cell phone (or in this case a SPOT watch?). So how about using a technology like this to notify you by text message when they want you to come back to the restaurant?

Old 11-16-2003, 08:13 PM
jimski
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdegroodt
One thing that popped into my mind last night- We waited for 2 hours to get into the Cheesecake Factory which uses those little self contained pagers to let you know when your slot at the feeding trough is ready. Instead of using those little pagers that require you to be in the immediate area, are apparently not returned often times, and in general duplicitous for most of us that carry cell phone (or in this case a SPOT watch?). So how about using a technology like this to notify you by text message when they want you to come back to the restaurant?
I can do that now. I have been using a Timex Internet Messenger watch which replaced my SkyPager. I can receive Internet news, short text messages and numeric/alpha pages. It's a bit geeky (really hoped by now that Timex would make a nice band or something) but it works well. Zinc Air abttery lasts a couple of months. No, I can't sync my Outlook data with it but it does save some real estate on my belt and it is always with me and works just about anywhere in North America.

I use the pager because cell phone coverage anywhere in the U.S. is marginal at best (I live 8 miles from downtown NYC and need to go to the second floor of my house to get 1-2 bars on ATT's GSM network). Now, as the SkyTel chip can fit in this little watch, why can't they incorporate this technology in a cell phone or a PPC. I think that would boost sales for both platforms and I could start wearing my gold watch again.

Old 11-16-2003, 11:17 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

I'm still looking forward to this. I'll be curious to see the coverage maps. I've no doubt my day job is in an uncovered area. :roll:

Old 11-16-2003, 11:19 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
I'm still looking forward to this. I'll be curious to see the coverage maps. I've no doubt my day job is in an uncovered area. :roll:
Know the zip code of your day job area? If you do, you can check it here

Old 11-16-2003, 11:24 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Of course. :roll:
Quote:
Sorry, we do not have MSN Direct coverage in your location.
Try another ZIP/Postal Code.

Old 11-16-2003, 11:31 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Of course. :roll:
Quote:
Sorry, we do not have MSN Direct coverage in your location.
Try another ZIP/Postal Code.
Hmm...Maybe this is the hold up. It's all for you Ed. Maybe since the technology works off some sort of FM radio there will be aftermarket mods to improve reception. A giant directional antenna attached to your watch.

Old 11-17-2003, 01:12 AM
mscdex
Sage

Until the SPOT watches come out, I think my discrete 128mb usb watch will have to do.

It's bootable too, I have a small linux distro installed and I still have plenty of space for all my other files I need to transfer or take on the go. I always have my essential files on hand (on wrist ) wherever I go, I love it. 8)

Old 11-17-2003, 03:47 PM
squirrelist
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdegroodt
I thought about that too sitting in at Cheescake Factory in NW DC a few months ago. The problem is that often times text messages don't go through immediately. It's not reliable enough yet. Most of the time there is no problem at all. It's immediate. But about once a month or so my messages get delayed 12-24 hours. I wouldn't think that Verizon would have that much trouble in suburban Maryland.