Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 11-12-2003, 10:06 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default What's Up with ActiveSync 3.7.1?

I've had some awkward sync issues since I upgraded to ActiveSync 3.7.1. My setup is probably quite unique with numerous Pocket PCs and Pocket PC versions, and there have been more going on in my setup lately than just the upgrade, so I am not prepared to blame it all on ActiveSync, yet. However, we got this message from a fellow Pocket PC friend:
"Many 3rd Party PPC Programs use RAPI to access the PPC Registry, move files or databases... It seems AS 3.7.1 has somehow broken these calls...". Then the message points at some posts in one of the Windows CE newsgroups.

I have stopped using RAPI a long time ago and use HTTP and XML Web Services throughout my solutions, but I guess there still are valid usage scenarios where RAPI might be a better choice. Regardless, I wonder if you've seen any of these issues yourself?

UPDATE: I just learned that this is a known issue and that Microsoft is about to post a knowledge base article regarding this matter. As far as I can tell, the article contains both an explanation and a workaround. I have posted more details in the threads of this post.

Old 11-12-2003, 10:21 PM
caywen
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to caywen
Default issues with 3.7.1

Yeah, I'm seeing strange issues too. The main one I'm seeing is that sometimes when I put my 1940 in the cradle, I hear the begin sync noise, immediately followed by the end sync noise; this happens before any syncing happens, and then it never syncs.

If I reboot, it works again.

Old 11-12-2003, 10:44 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default Re: issues with 3.7.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by caywen
Yeah, I'm seeing strange issues too. The main one I'm seeing is that sometimes when I put my 1940 in the cradle, I hear the begin sync noise, immediately followed by the end sync noise; this happens before any syncing happens, and then it never syncs.

If I reboot, it works again.

Seeing the same things w my 1940. And I see the LED flashing very awkwardly, fast/slow/intermittently...

Old 11-12-2003, 10:47 PM
Dan Vystrcil
Neophyte

I have had a rash of dropped connections with my 2215. It was beginning to remind of my days with my Toshiba 330. :wink:

I suspect that it was it was an application installed on my 2215 because I had to hard reset recently and the problem went away.

Old 11-12-2003, 10:47 PM
rlobrecht
Thinker

I was having a problem where when I put my E740 in the cradle, processor usage on System would go to 100%. I would have to power cycle my machine to get it back up. I uninstalled 3.7.1 and reinstalled 3.7.1, and it seems ok so far. Maybe just a corrupted file somewhere.

Old 11-12-2003, 10:52 PM
jngold_me
Thinker

I was going to purchase the CoPilot 4 GPS software. However, I found out that the PC component no longer sync's with AS 3.7.1. ALK says they will be patching the application to work with AS 3.7.1. As a temp solution, they say to move back to AS 3.7. I will wait until the patch is out before buying the package.

Old 11-12-2003, 11:01 PM
Storm
Neophyte
Default Re: What's Up with ActiveSync 3.7.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sjostrom
"Many 3rd Party PPC Programs use RAPI to access the PPC Registry, move files or databases... It seems AS 3.7.1 has somehow broken these calls...".
Yes I can confirm this. I now have a problem with one of my applications that copies an Access db from the PC to the Pocket PC during installation. This wasn't a problem before my customers "upgraded" to AS 3.7.1 :evil:

Old 11-12-2003, 11:04 PM
Steven Cedrone

What a coincedence...

I was just ranting about ActiveSync last night...

Mind you, I don't get into it like you developers, but there seems to be enough frustration to go around for all of us...

Steve

Old 11-12-2003, 11:16 PM
dakotamoon
Neophyte
Default Active Sink 3.7.1..

More problems with 3.7.1 than with any previous synch managers.. many rapi.. errors reported.. My main pc.. refuses to acknowledge my Ipaq2210 now.. so I will have to do a complete windows install to fix the problem.. system restore reports.. rapi problems.. can't restore... GRRRRRRRRRR

Old 11-12-2003, 11:21 PM
The PocketTV Team
Thinker

Another problem I see is ActiveSync "Explore" windows that stay empty or don't refresh when I select "refresh" in their menu.

This seems to happen when several ActiveSync "Explore" windows are opened while switching conmnection to another device.

This problem has been reported by several other users on other forums (newsgroups etc).