Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 11-12-2003, 06:00 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Got Messenger Service Problems?

http://messenger.jonathankay.com/

When you have problems logging onto Messenger, you can select Help|Service Status in your desktop clients and go the MSN Messenger Service Status page and you are supposed to get the status of the service to see if you are having a problem or if it is their servers.

Well, that is the theory. The service had problems late Tuesday yet the service status page gleeflully said "All systems are stable and running" all day long. :evil: Instead, you should bookmark Jonathan Kay's Messenger Resources page. In addition to lots of detailed info about Messenger, he will keep you up to date on the actual status of the servers. :way to go: Jonathan is a fellow Microsoft MVP that specializes in supporting Messenger. I've now bookmarked his page on both my PC and Pocket PC.

Old 11-12-2003, 06:09 AM
JustinGTP
Mystic

I couldnt log into messenger on my PPC the last few days and I have the update...

I just tried now and it worked, Im going to bookmark that site too! Good job Johnathon!

-Justin.

Old 11-12-2003, 06:10 AM
Anthony Caruana
Sage

Grrr...and I thought it was just me! I did notice that I was running an old version of Messenger as I'd forgotten to apply one of the updates they said I had to have sunce I rebuilt my PC so i just put it down to that.

Still, nice to have MS provide a status page. Too bad it wasn't right. I wonder how many others lost time like I did thinking it was a local problem.

Old 11-12-2003, 06:37 AM
jbctech
Neophyte
Send a message via ICQ to jbctech Send a message via AIM to jbctech Send a message via MSN to jbctech Send a message via Yahoo to jbctech
Default No problems here.

I haven't had any messenger problems today...I know I've been using it for the past 5 hours, and upon visiting HIS site, it says:

Messenger Service is not operational.

Hmmm...

Old 11-12-2003, 06:56 AM
brntcrsp
Thinker

I have the most bizarre problem when it comes to messenger. I can sign in with a secondary passport, but my primary fails every single time. It's freakishly annoying! I haven't been able to sign in with my primary account on my Pocket PC since I applied the Mircosoft update for the Pocket PC client.

Has anyone else had this problem besides me?

Old 11-12-2003, 07:00 AM
Shadowcat
Intellectual

I had problems earlier tonight too. I don't remember exactly but probably around 9 to 11 pm Eastern Time (GMT -5:00). I eventually restarted my computer and soon afterwards it started working again.

Old 11-12-2003, 09:11 AM
dean_shan
Mystic

I had an outage too. So I just talked to friends on AIM.

PS I do not use the offical AOL messenger app. I use Trillian. With it you can connect to multiple chat clients in one streamline, slick interface. Well worth the $30

Old 11-12-2003, 01:17 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcat
I had problems earlier tonight too. I don't remember exactly but probably around 9 to 11 pm Eastern Time (GMT -5:00). I eventually restarted my computer and soon afterwards it started working again.
That is what is so frustrating. It had nothing to do with your PC. If MS isn't going to update that page, just delete it. No info is better than wrong info.

Old 11-12-2003, 02:39 PM
cyclwestks
Ponderer

Heck, one computer on my home network could sign in, but the other one couldn't. Surely nobody else puts up with arguing kids because one computer isn't working. I went the whole gammet; checked service status, uninstalled, re-installed, restarted - then MS must have got things going again, because after all that it worked. Noticed the same thing on my PPC after doing the update, haven't tried it this morning.

Old 11-12-2003, 05:15 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

There was a lot of sporadic behavior. I for one didn't have many problems, but a number of my friends did. It would not be unusual to see one machine working and another one not working.

However, I've never seen Microsoft's Messenger status site with any useful info. :evil:

--janak