Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 11-08-2003, 03:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Certain Cards Cause iPAQ 2200 Battery To Drain Faster When Unit Is Off

http://www3.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?dt=3&source=MH031016_CW02.xml

"Certain CompactFlash (CF) cards may cause the iPAQ Pocket PC h2200 to drain the battery at a faster rate than other CF cards. This issue occurs when cards, such as the Audiovox RTM8000 and RTM8000D - Tri Band GSM/GPRS CompactFlash Card or the Convergent Technology GSM/GPRS CompactFlash Card, are left in the iPAQ Pocket PC while the iPAQ Pocket PC is off. If the battery is not charged in time, the battery could become completely depleted and lead to data loss."

So far, these are the only two cards with the problem. I've never had an issue with my Socket WiFi card. I presume the above two cards don't power themselves down properly, perhaps to maintain a GPRS/GSM connection. If you have one of these cards and a 2200, you need to either watch your battery life closely and charge often or remove these cards when not in use.

Side note: One of the affected devices is the "h2212e." Anyone know what that is? Is it identical to the 2210/2215 with a special language pack or does this have a different feature set?

Old 11-08-2003, 03:51 PM
pocketpcfox
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to pocketpcfox

After googling the question, the only thing I could find was speculation on the 'e' signifying the Enterprise Edition of the 22xx.

No definitive answers as yet...

Old 11-08-2003, 04:51 PM
Jeff Rutledge
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately I'm seeing this as well with the Linksys WCF12 card. I lose approximately 15-20% battery overnight.

I'm using the CE3.0 drivers (by Senoa I think). I tried the Linksys driver that's out in beta, but the drain was much worse.

Old 11-08-2003, 07:00 PM
WyattEarp
Sage

Any wireless card (CF, SD, etc) should never be left in a PDA even if the PDA is off unless the device is attached to an external power source. These cards always draw power from the main source even when they are off. Although they don't draw as much power as when they are active it is a significant amount compared to a memory card which draws much less. And some wireless cards are not PDA friendly; drawing excessive amounts of power for a PDA.

Old 11-08-2003, 09:04 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

I don't have my 2215 in front of me here, but some Pocket PCs have an option to NOT power the CF slot when the unit is in standby mode. Perhaps that's the solution?

Old 11-08-2003, 09:12 PM
JustinGTP
Mystic

Ed, the "e" version has a longer warranty, and comes with an additional battery in the box and is $479US. I forget the link, Ill try to find it.

(Exact same specs as 221X)

-Justin.

Old 11-08-2003, 10:17 PM
gohtor
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to gohtor Send a message via MSN to gohtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda_Civic_Si
Ed, the "e" version has a longer warranty, and comes with an additional battery in the box and is $479US. I forget the link, Ill try to find it.

(Exact same specs as 221X)

-Justin.
yeah I've posted a question about this earlier on the ipaq forum here. It's exactly what you discribed above. not really a bargain if you ask me.

Old 11-09-2003, 12:47 AM
heliod
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
I don't have my 2215 in front of me here, but some Pocket PCs have an option to NOT power the CF slot when the unit is in standby mode. Perhaps that's the solution?
I Think Jason is right. This should be the solution for the problem.

I have never felt this either with my Socket BT card or with my Socket WiFi card.

Regarding the two Audiovox cards: I've seen it happening in my Axim. Now the interesting thing would be if we could have the statement of someone using the Convergent Technology GSM/GPRS card, which has the same functionality of the Audiovox.

Old 11-09-2003, 03:29 AM
tato68
Pupil
Default hp 2210e

folks,

here is the link for info on 2210e. i posted it some time ago.

later...

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...098&highlight=

Old 11-09-2003, 03:32 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Re: hp 2210e

Quote:
Originally Posted by tato68
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19098
"Extended lifecycle extends through January 2005"
If this has anything to do with PPC 2004 upgradability that won't be offered to Non -"e" devices... :evil: