Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Competition

Old 11-06-2003, 05:30 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default The Pride That Killed Sony

http://www.forbes.com/home/2003/11/05/cz_bf_1104sony.html

"The once seemingly-invincible Sony has stumbled during the stewardship of Chairman and Chief Executive Nobuyuki Idei. Sales and profits have plunged and the company has been forced into a major restructuring. Idei spent so much time thinking about telecommunications and the Internet that he ignored the company's core electronics division and key products like televisions."

What could this mean for their computing business, and as it relates to this site, their line of Clie PDAs?

"Sony has suffered from hubris, the pride that kills. Several years ago, a Sony executive told me that because it no longer had "any real competitors" it must concentrate on its "creative dreams." No longer. On October 28, Sony held a press conference, in a hall filled with over 1,000 journalists, to announce a major restructuring to cope with plunging sales and profits."

No one I've talked to has been able to see any way possible for Sony to make money on their line of Palm OS based Clies, but man they sure do have style - products of their "creative dreams" it seems. Well, Sony has now had a stiff dose of reality, being forced to cut 20,000 jobs in a country where hiring for life is still the norm, not the exception. They are also cutting components from 840,000 to 100,000. Maybe the Clie line will be exempt from these cuts, but I doubt it. It would seem the days of 3 new designs every 3-4 months are over.

Old 11-06-2003, 05:39 PM
Thinkingmandavid
Pontificator
Send a message via ICQ to Thinkingmandavid Send a message via Yahoo to Thinkingmandavid

Makes one wonder if the ux50/40 line is worth the money spent since it is so high priced. If it is tha much to the consumer, is it worth production? Of course I have not seen the numbers of how well it is/is not selling. I have a sony viao laptop and it SUCKS :!:

Old 11-06-2003, 05:56 PM
SandersP
Intellectual

'killed Sony'? I am not aware Sony has died

Old 11-06-2003, 06:36 PM
HailFire
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to HailFire Send a message via MSN to HailFire

Advice to Sony:

Adopt Windows CE!!!!

Clie form-factors running Windows would be the be-all end-all of handhelds. I hope this Nobuyuki Idei guy knows this.

Old 11-06-2003, 06:58 PM
bdeli
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkingmandavid
Makes one wonder if the ux50/40 line is worth the money spent since it is so high priced.
This week Sony cut the prices of both the UX40 and the UX50 and rumours of a UX80 are already circulating around the net. I do not beleive that the Clie line will be the one which will end up with the biggest cuts during restructuring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkingmandavid
I have a sony viao laptop and it SUCKS :!:
As for VAIO laptops - I totally agree!!!!! And do not even bother to mention their support on their VAIO line - IT JUST SUCKS!

Old 11-06-2003, 07:12 PM
guinness
Intellectual

Sony overexpanded itself too far; they should dump their assets not related to eletronics (Sony Music, Pictures, etc) and go back to what made them.

Old 11-06-2003, 07:37 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

Sony denied that there is a UX80 waiting in the wings. In light of this new news, I am willing to take them on their word with that. They would be lucky if there were ANY new Clie for the time being.

Old 11-06-2003, 07:59 PM
James Fee
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to James Fee Send a message via MSN to James Fee Send a message via Yahoo to James Fee Send a message via Skype™ to James Fee
Default Re: The Pride That Killed Sony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Well, Sony has now had a stiff dose of reality, being forced to cut 20,000 jobs in a country where hiring for life is still the norm, not the exception.
Only 7,000 job cuts will be made in Japan.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3219667.stm

Old 11-06-2003, 08:28 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

I've been predicting Sony would exit the PDA business, but according to Sony's PR man, they aren't going out of the biz anytime soon.

http://www.pocketfactory.com/archives/000115.html

Old 11-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Thinkingmandavid
Pontificator
Send a message via ICQ to Thinkingmandavid Send a message via Yahoo to Thinkingmandavid

They may not be going out of the biz, but they for sure need to reanalyze their position and goals in the pda market. and yes they should adapt windows, period. Palm, oh excuse me, palmone :roll: is not the way to go. I feel it is such a wase of the nice hardware on the palm, oh excuse me, palmone :roll: software.