Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 05-21-2004, 08:30 PM
David Prahl
Pontificator
Default PDAmill GameBox Classics Reviewed

Product Category: Games Package
Manufacturer: PDAMill
Where to Buy: Handango.com (affiliate link) has a two-hour demo, subscribers get one free PDAMill program, including this one. :wink:
Price: $9.95 USD
System Requirements: Pocket PC 2002, 3MB of RAM (500KB a game isn't bad at all!)

Pros:
  • Six games in one;
  • Excellent graphics, music, and gameplay;
  • Can post scores to PDAMill's site;
  • Low price.
Cons:
  • Hard to control character in Snake;
  • Lack of in-game volume control.
Summary:
GameBox Classics is just that - a box of Classic PC games. The latest version comes with six great variations on classic arcade games, all in one clean, compact launching program. But is this just another "Tetris�" clone? Could you find the same games on the Web for free? Absolutely not! Read on to find out why!

The Main Menu
To keep things simple and compact, GameBox Classics uses one program to launch six games. Tapping the left or right arrows will toggle through the different games, and several other options are available on the bottom menu as well. Scrolling is animated and accentuated by sound effects. Tapping on a title opens up the high scores and options, and a helium-like voice declares the name of that particular game. Users can set the audio quality, music volume, and sound volume using the "Options" button.

Game 1: Aqua Blocks
I won't beat around the bush - Aqua Blocks looks a lot like Tetris�. But unlike Tetris� or the myriad of clones we've all seen, Aqua Blocks has rich colors, animated backgrounds, and cool sound effects. You can also use an alternate set of blocks (much more challenging), invert the rotation of the shapes, and turn movement sounds and visual effects on or off. A svelte window pane on the right side lets you pause or exit the current game, displays the next shape, level, and score.

Figure 1: (Main Menu) Aqua Blocks.

Figure 2: What Tetris� should've been. Wonderful music, effects, and graphics.

In my opinion, Aqua Blocks does all that can be done with the Tetris� concept. Gameplay is smooth and fun, and the background music is great. With plenty of options and all the levels you can handle, Aqua Blocks leaves the competition in the dust.

Game 2: Aqua Blocks+
Aqua Blocks+ is nearly identical to Aqua Blocks in every respect. Similar music and sound effects, same backgrounds. But with Aqua Blocks+, the goal of the game is to get at least three blocks of the same color in a row. The blocks aren't "held together" once they reach the bottom - that is, you can't get a T-shaped pile of blocks, because the "arms" of the "T" slide down their respective sides. Aqua Blocks+ is neat variation on Aqua Blocks, and I found it to be more fun.

Figure 3: (Main Menu) Aqua Blocks...Plus!

Figure 4: Aqua Blocks+ puts a spin on the original Aqua Blocks.

Game 3: Jewel Master
Of all the games, Jewel Master is my favorite. The idea is to tap on groups of gems of similar color until none are left. But you can only "mine" the jewels in groups of at least two. If you make a mistake and a few are left over that are not "minable", you lose one of your three picks and have to start that puzzle over. As you progress through the game more gems and colors are mixed in. The background music is fantastic, and the special effects are well done. A low, male voice makes comments about your mining strategy as you go along, and makes fun of you when you lose. :lol: As far as I'm concerned, PDAMill could've sold Jewel Master by itself and it would've still been a deal.

Figure 5: (Main Menu) Jewel Master is another great classic that PDAMill breathed life into.

Figure 6: What things will look like after a few minutes of 'mining'.

Figure 7: When jewels are mined they disappear into a starburst. And when you get a nice handful of stones this happens. :mrgreen:

Game 4: Cannons
Remember that old tank game you used to play on your Apple II or 386sx? PDAMill has revived this classic game, and added some twists that make it worth looking at again. The object of Cannons is to hit the opposing tank with enough explosives to destroy it. Users must manipulate the angle and power of the shot to hit their opponent, and need to consider the landscape and ever-changing wind to accurately place their shots. The Options menu here allows you to turn the special effects on or off, as well as the wind and two-player mode. The first round (no pun intended) the player gets a little help and is shown where their shots would land depending on the current angle and power settings. This helps you get the feel of the game, and know just how much "mustard" to put on the shot. Each round you win you earn 100 points, and the game is over when your tank is destroyed.

Figure 8: (Main Menu) Lock 'n Load!

Figure 9: The computer, red, is shooting at 10 degrees and 81% power. Notice the water and depleted power meters. Yes, I died after this shot! ops:

Game 5: Snake
The object of Snake is to eat the right fruits as fast as you can, but avoid running into the walls, yourself or your poop (a direct result of eating). Users can turn on "poop-free mode" (I'm not making this up!) or "no junkfood" if they wish. Just like the other five games, Snake has cool background sounds, sound effects, and well designed graphics. Unlike the classic version, this game has levels and goals. You might be asked to "eat 7 apples", and after winning a few rounds the background and obstacles will change. Your snake will make comments as it scurries around the screen - "yum", "yuck", and "ow" in a cute cartoon voice. PDAMill didn't have to add these extras, but I'm glad they did!

Figure 10: (Main Menu) Snake -- a classic game with added extras.

Figure 11: You'll have to excuse my pitiful score. My Axim X5's directional pad isn't too hot at this kind of gameplay. Those two items on the screen are a pear (good) and poop (bad).

Game 6: Fireball
No, it's not an exotic drink, racehorse, or household surface cleaner - it's another great arcade game! Fireball traces its roots back to Breakout� and Aquanoid�, but contains many more features and effects than your average ball-and-paddle game. Second only to Jewel Master, Fireball is one of my favorites. Players must move the paddle on the bottom of the screen to bounce a ball back at small, colored cubes. Some cubes will disappear on the first hit, other take two or three hits, and other won't disappear at all. Every now and then a breaking cube will let a small green circle fall down in reach of your paddle. These falling extras (turned on and off in the options menu) can change the size of your paddle, add extra balls, change the speed and direction of the ball, and do other cool things that I won't tell you.

Figure 12: (Main Menu) Fireball has new variations on an old concept, and awesome graphics to boot!

Figure 13: Here I the "super combo", which lets me shoot blocks and keeps the ball in the top 3/4 of the screen for about 10 seconds. Sweet! 8)

Figure 14: A handful of the goodies you can earn. What do these do? You'll have to download the demo to find out!

Conclusions
I really can't say enough good things about this suite of games. PDAMill has obviously spent a lot of time revamping a handful of classic arcade games, and they've brought them to market at a very decent price. The interface is clean and functional, the background music and sounds are fantastic, and the graphics are first rate. I found myself playing all of the games way beyond the sixty seconds my screenshot program needed. This is a five star application, and should be on everyone's list of "must have" games.

Old 05-21-2004, 09:20 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

When I signed up for PPC Thoughts, my subscriber bonus was this package, and I have to tell you, it's one of the first things I reinstall after a hard reset. It's absolutely magnificent.

I have to agree with you on Jewel Master, also. I think I play that much more than I play any of the other great games, with only Fireball coming in second.

All in all, this is an amazing package of games, and I can't wait for a sequel of some sort. If only you could give ten stars, right? :-)

Old 05-21-2004, 09:45 PM
gorkon280
Philosopher
Default I also have this thanks to PPCT!

I also have this thanks to PPCT! Jewel Master is addicting! The review said it had 3 picks, but mine has 5. I don't think I changed it. Cannons is not as fun as the old VGA game on the PC called Scorched Earth. I love all of the different round syou can buy/use in that one. Cannons should be redone to play other people on PPC's over IR , BT or WiFi. That would be da bomb!

Old 05-21-2004, 09:46 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari
Default Re: I also have this thanks to PPCT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorkon280
That would be da bomb!
Interesting play on words ;-)

Old 05-21-2004, 10:53 PM
Zack Mahdavi
Pontificator

Back when I was trying to choose my free PDAMill game, I had the hardest time deciding between buying this and Snails. I ended up choosing Snails, because it seemed like something new.

Now that I've read this review, I think I'm going to buy Gamebox Classics as well. I really must applaud PDAMill for developing such beautiful looking games.

Old 05-22-2004, 01:31 AM
Phoenix
Sage

I bought this game suite and I really like it.

But I'd like to see a change made with the Snake game...

1) I'd like to see stylus control of the snake. I thought it said something in the help file about controlling the snake with a stylus, but for some reason, that capability was left out, and without it, it almost makes the game unplayable.

Please add in stylus control on Snake!!!

I'd also like to see a change made with the Aqua Blocks games...

2) I did a hard reset on my iPAQ, so I don't currently have these games loaded right now, so I can't quite remember if there's stylus control on Aqua blocks in terms of rotating the pieces. I know there is some stylus control, but I can't remember if you can rotate the pieces with the stylus. If I'm remembering correctly and you can't, I'd like to see this feature added in. And if you can rotate with the stylus, and I just forgot about it, then ignore this second request.

Those are the things I'd like to see added.

Other than that, it's a great collection of games.

Old 05-22-2004, 02:06 AM
shawnc
Pontificator

I gotta tell ya, I love this site. I'm not much of a game player, but every once in a while either my wife or my 6-year old cousin will get their hands on my Ipaq and they love the games.

I had already linked to the Handago web site to pay the $9.95 and I noticed at the last moment that subscribers get a free copy. FREE! You gotta love THAT price .

Thanx again PPCT. Great site.

Old 05-22-2004, 02:22 AM
David Prahl
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix
Please add in stylus control on Snake!!!
I totally agree! Hopefully the team over at PDAMill is watching this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnc
I had already linked to the Handago web site to pay the $9.95 and I noticed at the last moment that subscribers get a free copy. FREE! You gotta love THAT price.
Mmmm...something smells good! Is it free software? :way to go:
The demo allows plenty of gameplay. In fact, I wrote my entire review on the 2 hour demo copy. :lol:

Old 05-22-2004, 06:59 AM
Gator5000e
Intellectual

What's the difference between the demo and full versions? Is it worth upgrading from the subscriber version? Thanks for any replies.

Old 05-22-2004, 08:47 AM
pbalogh
Neophyte
Send a message via MSN to pbalogh
Default Yeah, we're reqading :-)

GameBox Classics has been updated two weeks ago and now includes:
- Combos for Aqua Blocks
- On-screen control for Snake :-)
- Tons of improvements for Fireball
- and, uhm, other stuff

If you purchased it at Handango, etc, you can re-download the latest version from them. If you got with your PPCT membership, you... well, I guess you can try to redownload it using the link you got in the email.

ps: David, thanks for a great and in-depth review :-)

Cheers,
Peter Balogh
(the PDAmill guy)