Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Competition

Old 10-29-2003, 08:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Nokia's First Touchscreen Device

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,6771,47550,00.html

Nokia yesterday announced the 7700, their first handheld with a touchscreen device. It's running Nokia's Series 90 touchscreen-enabled operating system, based on Symbian. Is this going to be the Pocket PC Phone Edition/Smartphone killer?

After reading a number of sites and their opinions on the subject, here's one from a Pocket PC Phone user: I don't want it. Here's why.

First, as a phone: Gizmodo confirms today that you would have to hold the phone sideways to your ear, like the N-Gage. If you don't know what I mean, you should see Sidetalkin.com, a humorous take on the subject. (From the news reports I've heard, the N-Gage is not flying off the shelves for a variety of reasons; I'd imagine the difficulty of using it as a phone must have an effect.) While it has Bluetooth and you can use Bluetooth headsets, there are always situations where you need to put the device up to your head. Handspring, Microsoft, and Sony Ericsson all realized this with their touchsensitive devices.

Now, as a PDA: the unit does have a 640x320 screen, and that is its most attractive quality in my opinion. The gameable controls are also a nice plus. However, no other device out there has this screen configuration. As far as I can tell, this means I'd have to get Nokia 7700-customized "versions" of all my Symbian software. Second, and perhaps this is just because I haven't seen a shot of the device in a hand, I don't quite see how to hold this device in one hand effectively -- a property you really need to be able to use a stylus with another. To me, the device more closely resembles the "top half" of a handheld PC... but HPCs are useable with a keyboard, and this is not. The one application this configuration seems well-suited for is web-browsing, and perhaps that's how Nokia will position it... although tools like Thunderhawk on the Pocket PC are capable of turning it landscape when appropriate.

In conclusion, I'm not going to write off Symbian -- Nokia's Series 90 could be a huge hit. But not with this device. This feels like a second-generation N-Gage to me -- and maybe it will therefore be popular with one segment of the crowd -- but for a "phone-enabled organizer" device, give me my Pocket PC Phone (or, barring that, a Smartphone or a SE P900) anyday.

Old 10-29-2003, 08:05 PM
Enderet
Thinker

8O ukeface:
This is one ugly thing

Old 10-29-2003, 08:36 PM
manywhere
Theorist
Send a message via MSN to manywhere

That Nokia Phone-PDA combo can also act as a TV. Apparently it can recieve DVB-H, digital TV specially formatted for handhelds, if an add-on pack is added to it. (OK, maybe America doesn't have DVB, yet, but I've heard that broadcasters are pushing for it over there... or :?
I would also like to get DVB-H for my Pocket PC. :cry:

As for it's looks, yeah, it doesn't look nice on the press pictures. It might look different in reality though... :roll:
The looks won't the sales pitch for it, but probably the Phone-PDA-TV combo features.

I would expect it to appear next year's 2nd Q and costing something 600-900 �/US$ (unsubsidised). What's your bet? :lol:

Old 10-29-2003, 08:36 PM
kiwi
Thinker

heh heh - that website was really funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

b

Old 10-29-2003, 08:42 PM
foldedspace
Thinker

I like it. It may not appeal to everyone, but it's nice to see a device maker putting something out that's unique. As far as the OS is concerned, my 3650 (Symbian 6) is easy to use and very stable. It won't matter if the Smartphone is slightly easier to hold if the OS can't stack up to what Symbian already has. But I'm looking forward to the competition...it can only mean cheaper prices and more features on smaller phones. I want it all on my phone! 8)

Old 10-29-2003, 09:40 PM
guinness
Intellectual

I like the 7200 better, Nokia's first clamshell and it has a bunch of features.

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4244.html

Old 10-29-2003, 09:54 PM
T-Will
Sage

LOL!!! ---> Sidetalkin.com

Old 10-29-2003, 10:13 PM
Shraga18
Pupil

Not one pocket pc there . NOT ONE!!!!!

Old 10-29-2003, 10:40 PM
carphead
Thinker

The best usenet post I've seen this year said "It's like holding a cheese sandwich to your ear!"

Old 10-29-2003, 10:58 PM
David C
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
I like the 7200 better, Nokia's first clamshell and it has a bunch of features.
intresting!

does that phone have like a furry cover? that's funny.