Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 10-27-2003, 07:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Socket's Bluetooth Cordless Serial Adapter

http://www.socketcom.com/product/CS0400-479.asp

For those of you who use Bluetooth, Socket is about to release a potentially useful tool: a very compact serial-to-Bluetooth adapter. This makes it easy to convert your serial devices, such as printers, modems, or even workstation/switch consoles into a Bluetooth connection which can then easily be managed/used via a laptop or your Pocket PC.

I have a variety of devices I administer for which a short-range, point-to-point solution like Bluetooth will be ideal. Maybe I can get one of these for a review...

Old 10-27-2003, 07:14 PM
jmbneaf
Ponderer

This may sound crude - but I wonder if this could be used with PPC's that have a serial connection.

My first thought is could it be used with my XDA I ?? - which has a serial port in the sync connector pinout.

Granted this would be bulky, but being able to wirelessly sync / print would be nice. Maybe other possiblities exist here too?

-JB

Old 10-27-2003, 07:18 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Ah, you're thinking of the reverse. I'd imagine it's possible to do if your Pocket PC supports serial sync, but I'd expect it to be a bit bulky.

--janak

Old 10-27-2003, 07:19 PM
Fitch
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Fitch Send a message via AIM to Fitch

You could put one of these guys on an old serial GPS unit and do navigation wirelessly with any bluetooth PPC like the HP 1945

Old 10-27-2003, 07:26 PM
jmbneaf
Ponderer

I have a Socket CF BT card and it works great. So yeah, I think this serial adapter would work too, granted Socket's software would detect it on the COM port.

Their current software for the CF card does well and I know it scans the COM ports because with my Toshiba e755, the CF COM port assignment can change depending what is attached to the PPC (ie IRDA enabled or not).

If available I would get one just to see if it would work...

-JB

Old 10-27-2003, 07:45 PM
Majestic
Pupil

Search google.com and you will find that the asking price for this thing looks to be around $130.00. Is it worth THAT much? Geez.

See links:

http://www.neutronexpress.com/prod.c...SERIAL_ADAPTER

Old 10-27-2003, 07:46 PM
hojbjerg
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitch
You could put one of these guys on an old serial GPS unit and do navigation wirelessly with any bluetooth PPC like the HP 1945
That was my first thought also. Unfortunatly you have a power problem. The CSA needs to be powered either through pin 9 on the DB9 connector or with an external power supply (included). Your GPS device typically only has Rx/Tx/GND lines on the serial connection, which means you need to use the external power supply.

So in other words it should be possible, but you need to use the external power supply.
--
Jens

Old 10-27-2003, 07:59 PM
Paul P
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to Paul P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic
Search google.com and you will find that the asking price for this thing looks to be around $130.00. Is it worth THAT much? Geez.

See links:

http://www.neutronexpress.com/prod.c...SERIAL_ADAPTER
This may not be a fair comparison, but that adaptor is close to 40% of the price of a new bt printer. You can get one for $350 shipped from HP.com.

Old 10-27-2003, 08:26 PM
gohtor
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to gohtor Send a message via MSN to gohtor

I read the FAQ on their site... doesn't look like the thing has that many uses. it does support a variety of types of devices but not everything can be plugged into it. If you're in that badly of a need to plug bluetooth to your printer or get wireless [whatever] through converting your existing serial styled device then it would be a must get. For me, I already host the printer in the network on my bluetooth enabled pc so it just don't make sense to get one just to make the printer stand alone.

I like the fact that you can get many of these CSA's to network via bluetooth. but again, you could have done that with a usb counterpart. How badly do you need to enable a pc that has only serial input in the first place?

Old 10-27-2003, 08:52 PM
Pete Teoh
Pupil

I could see using this as a way to get console port access to Cisco or headless Sun servers from a laptop that doesnt have a serial port. I've been shopping around for a new machine and I notice that many of the current models do not include a serial port. However, I don't think Cisco or Sun console ports supply power. That means I have to use a cumbersome AC power adapter. If only they designed it to be powered by a small lithium battery or something...