Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 10-27-2003, 02:00 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Quick Look at the Vaja iPod Case 667

http://www.vajacases.com/pda_eng.htm

Although a Pocket PC can be used as a portable MP3 player, I still went for an iPod since it gives me 30 GB of storage. I'm very pleased with the iPod and the only complaint I had was that it scratches very easily, both the metal back and the white front. The top of the line units do come with a slipcase, but you can't use the buttons when the iPod is in this case, so you'll have to take your iPod from the case all the time, adding to the scratching. Enter Vaja Cases.

The quality of the Vaja iPod Case 667 is like we've come to expect and like from Vaja: good quality leather, nice finishing and a great fit. When the iPod is in the case, the scroll wheel and buttons are free, and the screen is protected with a plastic insert. The ports and buttons at the top and bottom are left free. There's a headphone cutout in the flip cover, so you can plug in the (remote and your) headphone, even when the flip cover is closed. You can also charge and sync the iPod using a cable when it's inside the case.

My only complaint about this case would be that you can't dock the iPod when it's inside the case. I had the dock set up next to my stereo set, to use my iPod as my jukebox. Now I have to plug in the two cables manually into my iPod. Highly doable, but docking the device would be even easier. But all in all I'm very pleased with this case and I've used it on my iPod since I've received it. If you think you'd like it as well, you can get this case through Vaja Cases starting at US$ 34,90.

Old 10-27-2003, 02:35 PM
adamz
Thinker

As a Pocket PC fanatic I'm kinda offended by this post.
At least get something that plays WMAs.
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Digi...p_YP_910GS.htm

Old 10-27-2003, 02:52 PM
marlof

AdamZ: You think as a Pocket PC fan you should support the WMA format? I'm sorry, but even though I am a Pocket PC fan, I won't let anybody dictate let alone limit the way I use my gadgets. Not Microsoft, so I won't use WMA. Not Apple, so I won't use AAC. I'm using 128 kbps MP3 files, which suit me well enough, and which can be played by almost anything you throw them at. Even Pocket PCs....
Next to that, I'm not just into technology, but also into Industrial Design. The Yepp looks nice enough, but I'd choose an iPod over that. That's my personal choice, and feel free to differ from me. But I'm a bit amazed that you're "slightly offended" if someone doesn't share your views.

For what it's worth: please do note that this quick look is located in the Off Topic forum. If you don't like it, there's a lot to be seen elsewhere on this site.

Old 10-27-2003, 03:04 PM
dh
Mystic

I'm a PPC fan as well but I have never played any type of Windows Media file. I've never had any reason to.

I use DivX for movies and .ogg or MP3 for music.

Am I right in thinking that the lpod will not play .ogg files? That's the only way I would want one.

Old 10-27-2003, 03:04 PM
ChristopherTD
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz
At least get something that plays WMAs.
Marlof is talking about a case! It doesn't play anything. :?

Old 10-27-2003, 03:11 PM
Andrew
Ponderer

Marlof
Thanks for the post, I just recently (last week) bought the 40gb ipod and im quite happy with it too. Ive also noticed how 'sensitive' the casing is and so was looking for a case. Your recommendation seems to be a good one thanks.
Ive also ordered the usb/firewire cable for it too as Id also like to use it as a hard disk but my notebook doenst have firewire on it

Old 10-27-2003, 03:15 PM
marlof

dh: no, the iPod won't play .ogg files. But even our Janak (.ogg fan as well) couldn't resist the iPod. I don't know if he knows more about the oggability of the iPod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD
Marlof is talking about a case!
Thank you for getting this back on topic. Yes, I'm talking about a case. And a nice case at that.

Old 10-27-2003, 03:22 PM
ChristopherTD
Thinker

I bought an iGlove for my iPod (one of the original 10GB models) and it has lasted very well. There are many more cases available now, we are spoiled for choice. The VAJA looks very nice.

Old 10-27-2003, 03:23 PM
qmrq
Thinker

Don't worry, Linux is being ported to the iPod ! Soon you will have ogg support one way or another.

Old 10-27-2003, 04:20 PM
slothdog
Ponderer

iRiver has begun releasing Ogg Vorbis-supporting firmware for their portable players. Their 20GB iHP-120 and 10GB iHP-100 both support Ogg Vorbis, and supposedly the firmware for their mp3-cd players isn't far behind.