Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 10-23-2003, 12:00 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Specs And Reviews Of Upcoming Toshiba Pocket PCs

http://www.pocketpc-club.nl/content.php?id=2073

There was quite a stir when we posted specs on the e800, notably its ability to run in 480x640 mode. Pocket PC-Club.nl has more details on the unit -- it appears that it will have a 4" screen, a 4-conductor headphone jack with microphone and remote control support, a 1320mah battery, and so on. You'll also be able to get a VGA/USB port replicator, and the device is capable of outputting 800x600 at 16-bit to external screens.

There's also specs and a review on the upcoming e400 device. The review is in Dutch, but overall, it looks a lot like the e800 (apparently this new styling is designed to match their laptops), except it's much thinner, doesn't have wireless or CF built in, and has a smaller screen. What's interesting is that its screen may support 480x640 as well! 8O

Say what you want about Toshiba's sales and support departments, but it's clear there's an engineering group in Toshiba that's hard at work making powerful new Pocket PCs.

Old 10-23-2003, 12:09 AM
Charles Pickrell
Intellectual

It is a shame that Toshiba makes innovative Pocket PC devices because they are a terrible company to purchase electronics from.

Poor Support = Toshiba

PLEASE DON'T BUY FROM THEM.

HP or Dell is a much better choice.
www.mobilecomputingsig.com

Old 10-23-2003, 12:16 AM
JustinGTP
Mystic

Their designs are much nicer, thats for sure. I for one dont like the look of the e series, they are too big and they look heavy and ugly. They are so square. I like the curves of my 2215.

-Justin.

Old 10-23-2003, 12:25 AM
hoxbox
Pupil

Translated!! Thanks to http://www.freetranslation.com/

Johan of Mierlo (Johan) @ Wednesday 22 October 2003 [1reaction (s) on these article]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After many messages its than now final the Toshiba E400 and the E800 with Bluetooth or WiFi available......and we have already a review of the E400....And the E800 comes to it!

As first, we have already a review of the E400. You can this hereRead.

The review of the E800 will also here shortly appeared.

Below follow the specifications and prices. The prices are as next determined including btw

Toshiba E800 with WiFi �609

Processor Intel PXA 263 processor with Xscale technology, 400MHz speed.

OS SKIM 32MB SKIM

User Ram 128MB RAM

User Flash 32MB NAND FLASH memory for empty battery beschermingvan applicaties data raise

Fence 4" TransReflective LCD color schermy, Maximum number color: 65.536, Veranderbaar to high resolution (480x640 fashion) Touch screen for Stylus or fingertip.

Video controller ATI W3220, 2MB RAM

Supporting resolutions Internal: 240x320, 480x640. Externally: 640x480, 800X600 64K color 60Hz

Audio 16 Availed stereo built in. 1 Microphone, 1 High Performance speaker, 1 headphone jacket

Headphone jacket 4 ring (support of microphone, head telephone & control)

Communication Infrared communications, WiFi integrated.

Desktop connection USB Cradle iinbegepen

I/O SD Card end (supported: SD Memory cards, SD I/O, Multi media card), CF Card end, USB Bales via optionele lead to telegraph lines Serial via optionele lead to telegraph lines

Battery Advanced Lithium Ion. 1320 mah

Operating system Pocket PC 2003

Included software std Pocket Become Pocket Excel, Pocket Internet Explore, Pocket Outlook, Inbox, Windows Media player, Reader, Application Launcher, Backup utility, Microsoft ActiveSync, Microsoft Outlook, Jawbreaker

Toshiba specific included software Toshiba Wireless presentation utility for Wireless Presentations to Toshiba Wireless projectors, Toshiba Text To Make a speech Toshiba Voice Command, Toshiba Voice recorder (interview & Conferencing fashion) Toshiba Screen resolution, Screen Autodimmer fashion, ATI Presentation Pack' Toshiba Voice over IP Phone, Toshiba Config Free

Special mogenlijkheden Presentation support via VGA-connector on optionele Expansion Pack.

Dimensions 135mm Length x 77mm Width, 16.7mm Thin.

Weight WiFi version: tbd g

Design Indigo Blue metallic

choice USB/Serial cradle

Keuzel USB Bales cable

Keuzel Port replicator (VGA + USB Bales)

Choice high kapaciteit battery 2640 mAh

Toshiba E800 with Bluetooth �599

Processor Intel PXA 263 processor with Xscale technology, 400MHz speed.

OS SKIM 32MB SKIM

User Ram 128MB RAM

User Flash 32MB NAND FLASH memory for empty battery beschermingvan applicaties data raise

Fence 4" TransReflective LCD color schermy, Maximum number color: 65.536, Veranderbaar to high resolution (480x640 fashion) Touch screen for Stylus or fingertip.

Video controller ATI W3220, 2MB RAM

Supporting resolutions Internal: 240x320, 480x640. Externally: 640x480, 800X600 64K color 60Hz

Audio 16 Availed stereo built in. 1 Microphone, 1 High Performance speaker, 1 headphone jacket

Headphone jacket 4 ring (support of microphone, head telephone & control)

Communication Infrarood communications, WiFi iingebouwd.

Desktop connection USB Cradle iinbegepen

I/O SD Card end (supported: SD Memory cards, SD I/O, Multi media card), CF Card end, USB Bales via optionele lead to telegraph lines Serial via optionele lead to telegraph lines

Battery Advanced Lithium Ion. 1320 mah

Included software std Pocket Become Pocket Excel, Pocket Internet Explore, Pocket Outlook, Inbox, Windows Media player, Reader, Application Launcher, Backup utility, Microsoft ActiveSync, Microsoft Outlook, Jawbreaker

Toshiba specific included software, Toshiba Text To Make a speech Toshiba Voice Command, Toshiba Voice recorder (interview & Conferencing fashion) Toshiba Screen resolution, Screen Autodimmer fashion, ATI Presentation Pack''

Special mogenlijkheden Presentation support via VGA-connector with optionele Expansion Pack.

Dimensions 135mm Length x 77mm Width, 16.7mm Thin.

Weight WiFi version: tbd g

choice USB/Serial cradle

Keuzel USB Bales cable

Keuzel Port replicator (VGA + USB Bales)

Choice high kapaciteit battery 2640 mAh

Toshiba E400 �349

Processor Intel PXA 261 processor with Xscale technology, 300MHz speed.

OS SKIM 16MB SKIM

User Ram 64MB RAM

Screen 3,5" TransReflective LCD color schermy, Maximum number color: 65.536, Veranderbaar to high resolution (480x640 fashion) Touch screen for Stylus or fingertip.

Video controller built in in CPU

Headphone jacket

Communication Infrarood communications

Desktop connection USB Cradle included

I/O SD Card end (supports: SD Memory cards, SD I/O, Multi media card), USB bales via optionele lead to telegraph lines

Battery Advanced Lithium Ion. 980 mah

Toshiba specifice included software, Toshiba Text To Make a speech Toshiba Voice Command, Toshiba Voice recorder (interview & Conferencing fashion)

Special possibilities Presentation support via VGA-connector on optionele Expansion Pack.

Dimensions 125mm Length x 77mm Width, 10.5mm Thin.

Weight 137 grams

USB/cradle

Choice USB Bales cable

Old 10-23-2003, 12:26 AM
hoxbox
Pupil

Looks like it's either BT or WiFi but you can't have both built it....

Old 10-23-2003, 12:41 AM
shawnc
Pontificator

This is the nicest looking PPC I have seen .................. EVER! I understand the issue folks have with Toshiba's PPC, but I have had my laptop for about 6 months now, with not one problem. As I was looking at the screen shot, I was trying to figure out why it looked somewhat familar, the steely blue is the same color as my laptop.

Unfortunately, the specs don't quite work for me. It sounds like the budget one does not have built-in wireless. The more expensive unit has CF AND SD, a definite no no for me as the CF adds size (IMO) and I'll never use the extra slot. I've found that out with my Axim.

Old 10-23-2003, 12:51 AM
ID64
Pupil

May I ask why is there signal strenght indicator???? 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Old 10-23-2003, 12:55 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID64
I was wondering the same thing. :lol: That's part of Pocket PC Phone Edition. I think that the screen is just pasted in the image..

--janak

Old 10-23-2003, 01:16 AM
powder2000
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID64

Aren't we observant :mrgreen: . I don't know, we'll have to see what they price these babies at before we get any takers. Pretty thin though.

Old 10-23-2003, 01:33 AM
LarDude
Intellectual

Finally! Something to get excited about. No more rumour-mongering, the fog is beginning to lift !! It's about time we started to see some improvements in screen resolution and RAM. And Wi-Fi or BT or both (at least one) should be standard
with all PocketPCs. Maybe PocketPCs aren't dead after all !

Question for hardware vendors: For those PocketPCs that do not want to sacrifice thinness for an extra CF-II slot, why not have TWO SDIO slots side-by-side. (Many PocketPC users reserve/use one of the memory cards as a kind of "harddrive" for critical documents -- what's the point of slapping in a Wi-Fi/BT/GPS/camera/VGA-out module if you lose access to your data). Heck, if space really is that much of a problem, the 2nd SD/MMC card could even
sit under the back cover (kind of like the SIM cards in your cellphone).