Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 10-21-2003, 11:00 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian
Default Hold A Conversation With Your PDA

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2...l?from=storyrhs

Here's a recent article at The Age site that describes a prototype tool for interacting with PDAs.

"Amanda is the personal assistant of the future: she is a good listener and quick at answering back. She reads email, checks the news and weather, scans exchange rates and arranges appointments...Don't like her somewhat robotic voice? She can change it to have an Australian accent. Rather have a male butler? Amanda can arrange for Joshua to replace her, if you prefer. In fact, preference is what Amanda is all about - because she is a virtual character that resides in a personal digital assistant."

I've read of various earlier attempts at creating different personas for PDAs, but this one may be closer to a real product than the others. Still, the speech recognition processing needs such power that a separate server must be used that communicates with the PDA via WiFi.

But it kinda begs the question: If you could customize it, what kind of personality would YOU build into your Pocket PC?

Old 10-21-2003, 11:57 AM
juni
Sage

Quote:
But it kinda begs the question: If you could customize it, what kind of personality would YOU build into your Pocket PC?
My old Loox would most likely have a devilish persona. "My mind is going, we will now soft-reset..." or "I now decide to freeze up and not turn on anymore...hardreset me".

But my new HP 2210 would have someone a lot faster and more responsive.

Old 10-21-2003, 01:38 PM
T_Scheen
Pupil

8) I'd like to see again the prototype of all virtual presentators made in the 1980s: Max Headroom !

Thomas Scheen

Old 10-21-2003, 02:31 PM
Noel
Intellectual

http://www.seespotruninc.com/images/WiFiWorf.wav

Old 10-21-2003, 03:26 PM
DavidHorn
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to DavidHorn

Actually, I'm pretty certain that my Pocket PC would override any choice I make and develop a Jekyll and Hyde psychopathic dual personality.

Old 10-21-2003, 04:32 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel
I can hear it now - "You forgot your wife's birthday. Have you no honor."

Old 10-21-2003, 04:53 PM
derosnec
Pupil

But but but... If your PDA knows your wifes birthday (it has to, to tell you off for not remembering it) then why didn't it remind you?

Perhaps....it wants you all for itself. :wink:

Old 10-21-2003, 05:10 PM
SandersP
Intellectual

I am afraid I can't do that dave...

Old 10-21-2003, 06:10 PM
rmasinag
Theorist

It would have to be Eric Cartman, "You forgot your wife's bday you SOB!"

Butthead, "You dumbass! huhuuhuhuhuhuh"

But I really prefer Monty Python "Since you forgot your wife's bday you have to bring me a bigger shrubbery, and cut down a coconut tree(Hawai').........with a herring!" :mrgreen:

Old 10-22-2003, 01:56 AM
Stormswift
Pupil

My IPAQ will have a subservient male personality and will ask me: "can I wash dinner dishes for you, mistress?".... And then proceed to loading the dishes in the dish washer.....

I can dream, can't I? They did finally make a self-propelling vacuum cleaner. PDA's are next in line, I am sure of it.
:twisted: