Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 10-16-2003, 04:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default GoToMyPC Pocket PC Client Reviewed by PDA Avenue

http://www.pdaavenue.com/forum/disp...=&threadid=3785

"For several years now Expertcity's GoToMyPC.com (http://www.gotomypc.com/) has provided an over-the-internet PC remote control service for Windows desktops. If you've surfed the web even a little over the last few years you've probably seen their banner ads, or received their promotional e-mails. I've actually never been all that intrigued with the service before. I have never really been all that interested in connecting to my home PC from a remote location before - when it is not being used, our home PC is generally switched off, and I am the one who uses it the most - and I've always avoided trying it at work, as I'm a bit paranoid about letting unknown services through our firewall.

However, when he heard that GoToMyPC.com had developed a Pocket PC client that worked over the internet with Pocket Internet Explorer, our Senior Editor Alan thought that I might be interested in taking a look at this product. If you've read my articles about taking my Pocket PC on vacation this summer, you may remember that I was using my Pocket PC to connect using the open source VNC viewer Pocket PC client to some servers at work through a slow dialup RAS server connection. Perhaps GoToMyPC.com through a faster, public internet connection would be an intriguing possibility for me."

Has anyone used this service before? I've tried the desktop to desktop client and found it painfully slow, and almost a year ago I tried their "mobile" portal version and found it to be very lacking. Now they have a Pocket PC-specific version - comments?

Old 10-16-2003, 04:15 PM
Gator5000e
Intellectual

I am a Go To My Pc subscriber and I use the Pocket PC version often with my Axim X5 (upgraded to WM 2003). It works really well. Very happy with it.

Old 10-16-2003, 04:29 PM
Marcel_Proust
Theorist
Default GoToMyPC

I've been using it with pocketpc and wifi and it works amazingly well. I am not sure when you tried it, but on a desktop, it's quite an incredible program. Not as good on the pocketpc, but still very good, and makes going back to using VNC impossible.

Old 10-16-2003, 04:36 PM
tospappy
Ponderer
Default It has its place

I recently started using the service as I received an offer for an unlimited 30 day trial. What I find interesting, is that using my PPC and my verizon express network through my cell phone, it is faster to check my email and surf the net by connecting to my home computer which is connected to the net via a cable modem. Surfing via the express network is pretty slow, but if I connect to my home computer then the only data being transferred is the screen refresh and the strokes. There are some situtations where the UI on the PPC is a bit cumbersome like cascading menus on the desktop that go off the screen of the PPC and scrolling webpages. If you down size the image to fit the PPC screen, then it is difficult to read the page. All and All it isn't too bad, but I have not decided that it is worth the $15.00 per month for the little bit I would use it.

On the desktop/laptop version you can transfer files, but on the PPC version you cannot. This would be a nice addtion.

Old 10-16-2003, 06:01 PM
Marcel_Proust
Theorist
Default Re: It has its place

ditto

On the desktop/laptop version you can transfer files, but on the PPC version you cannot. This would be a nice addtion.[/quote]

Old 10-16-2003, 06:08 PM
doogald
Oracle

I was honestly not expecting to like this as much as I did. Response was faster over a public internet connection using GoToMyPC.com than it was using VNC to a locally connected server. I had never tried the PC version of this client, though I have seen others use it.

Anyway, if somebody wants to e-mail Rob from the Washington Post with an example of what a Pocket PC can do that a Palm cannot, this is one more example. Oh, and you can minimize it and do other things at the same time.

Old 10-16-2003, 07:41 PM
beq
Oracle

It works thru normal firewalls w/o configuration, which could be the deciding factor if you can't control that aspect. As well as needing no dedicated remote client (just any Java-capable browser). It's $15/mo for 2 accounts ($7.50 per account)...

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...=156758#156758

I wonder if LapLink Everywhere works in the same way or different?

Old 10-16-2003, 07:42 PM
Jer
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to Jer Send a message via AIM to Jer

If your dealing with Windows servers, why not use Terminal Service? It's built into ppc and is fast. I use it at home to access my WinXP box and it's free.

Old 10-16-2003, 07:52 PM
doogald
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer
If your dealing with Windows servers, why not use Terminal Service? It's built into ppc and is fast. I use it at home to access my WinXP box and it's free.
Because in my experience Terminal Service logs out the current user on the machine. With GTMPC or VNC, for example, you can interact with a user on the PC as you use it remotely, you can see any error messages that have popped up on the screen, etc.

Also, when you log in with TS on XP from a Pocket PC it changes the size of all of the Explorer Windows to something tiny when you go to use your PC again

Old 10-16-2003, 08:06 PM
SuperPaqMan
Neophyte
Send a message via AIM to SuperPaqMan Send a message via Yahoo to SuperPaqMan
Default GoToMyPC and Remote Activesync for file transfer and remote installs

I use gotomypc on my ipaq with my Sprint Yiso CF. I was also bummed that you cant use file transfer with the pocket pc client. So I installed pocket host on my Ipaq then entered the IP address of my desktop host into pocket host. Then I went into my routers config and opened the port that activesync uses to remote sync (which is port 5590). Now I can use gotoympc with my ipaq and sprint card and if I need to get files from my desktop host all I do is use the explore option in activesync. When Im not at home, I also download PPC programs directly to my Ipaq then transfer them to my desktop using remote activesync. Then I use gotomypc to initiate the install program from my desktop. Works like a charm!!