Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 10-08-2003, 10:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Pocket PC Cluster Consisting Of 12 Linked Devices

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/dev/articles/pocketcluster/index.html

"As a part of our continuing research at Spb Software House, we have assembled and tested a computing cluster based on Pocket PC devices. Twelve Pocket PC devices have been joined in a cluster to perform distributed calculations - the devices share the load of a complex calculation. The concept was to compare the performance of several Pocket PC devices linked into a cluster with the performance of a typical Pentium II-class desktop computer." 8O

They used IR because all Pocket PCs had that and the tests being performed were processor intensive, not network intenstive. They could have used TCP/IP but that would have meant additional hardware and expense. Pretty cool, but why would anyone do this? W?BIC!

Old 10-08-2003, 10:04 PM
royisher
Pupil

Isn't this cool? maybe I will use some Pocket PC's for a new server for my company

Old 10-08-2003, 10:08 PM
Dom
Intellectual

Quote:
Pretty cool, but why would anyone do this?
Hmm .. beats me
How about:
1. Boredom
2. Nothing on TV
3. Trying to get an XScale to go faster
Dom

Old 10-08-2003, 10:26 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator

:jawdrop:

Old 10-08-2003, 10:48 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

What I found kind of interesting and a little unexpected, was that (what is it? 10 years later?) that a dozen Pocket PC's with all that new processor technology and higher speed memory, could only pull out the processing throughput of a Pentium II!!!

Makes you really wonder whether we're progressing or just adding a whole bunch of 'stuff' to what is essentially the same decorator crab at the core.

Old 10-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tolson
What I found kind of interesting and a little unexpected, was that (what is it? 10 years later?) that a dozen Pocket PC's with all that new processor technology and higher speed memory, could only pull out the processing throughput of a Pentium II!!!
At a fraction of the power utilization and size. Technology gets faster and/or smaller.

--janak

Old 10-08-2003, 11:04 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

What can I say that others have not? When you have so many Pocket PCs laying around and can really only use one at a time normally - this is just a real cool and geeky way to use them!

Old 10-08-2003, 11:06 PM
Dom
Intellectual

Quote:
When you have so many Pocket PCs laying around and can really only use one at a time normally - this is just a real cool and geeky way to use them!
That's why they invented Ebay

Old 10-08-2003, 11:54 PM
guinness
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Quote:
At a fraction of the power utilization and size. Technology gets faster and/or smaller.

--janak
But the cost is prohibitive, you could probably pick up an old PII desktop for $50-100, whereas 12 PPC's would still cost you a fair amount of cash, neat idea anyhow.

Old 10-09-2003, 12:06 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
It goes to show that the 400 mhz we're getting from the Xscale is really more like 50 mhz on a PII - but it likely draws 50x less power (or more). It's all about the power consumption with mobile devices, but I do crave some real processing power now and then...