Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 10-01-2003, 05:36 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default iPAQ 4000 Series Pictures & Info Posted to FCC Site

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/c...id=\'NM8HB251\'

The FCC continues to give us a lot of juicy info, and today we have the first firm information on the 4000 series iPAQ.

Brighthand beat me to this by a few minutes, so rather than go through the user manual myself and glean all the details, I'll just point you to their article on the subject. ;-)

Old 10-01-2003, 05:52 PM
royisher
Pupil

Great to hear

Old 10-01-2003, 05:53 PM
guinness
Intellectual

What's the advantage of this over the X3 with WiFi for $400?

Call me the Devil's Advocate, but I think that the T|3 will clean up the compitition at Christmas this year, hi-res, 400 MHz X-Scale, 64 Meg RAM, BT, how come no other manufacturer of PPC's is being somewhat creative with features/designs? (Toshiba is evil) PPC's just all look similar or have similar features.

Old 10-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
I haven't seen the X3 yet, but I think the 4000 series iPAQ is a fair bit smaller, isn't it?

Quote:
Call me the Devil's Advocate, but I think that the T|3 will clean up the compitition at Christmas this year, hi-res, 400 MHz X-Scale, 64 Meg RAM, BT, how come no other manufacturer of PPC's is being somewhat creative with features/designs?
How is the T|3 being creative though? Sure, the high resolution screen is nice, but that's not something PPC OEMs can offer yet. The T|3 seems to have good value for the dollar, but what exactly is creative about it?

Old 10-01-2003, 06:00 PM
mar2k
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
How is the T|3 being creative though? Sure, the high resolution screen is nice, but that's not something PPC OEMs can offer yet. The T|3 seems to have good value for the dollar, but what exactly is creative about it?
Not to mention its pitiful 900mAh non user-swappable battery. Increasing screen size and adding features while keeping the battery size the same, its crazy they would think that would fly, people are already complaining about short battery life and it hasn't been officially released but one day. At least HP and Dell have a clue and gave the user the option to replace the battery.....

Old 10-01-2003, 06:03 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

NICE machine. If it has 128MB of memory, it would be a done deal.

Old 10-01-2003, 06:06 PM
Sslixtis
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Sslixtis

Ok, so does it have a jog dial? If it does I'll take two! 8O

Old 10-01-2003, 06:08 PM
guinness
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Quote:
I haven't seen the X3 yet, but I think the 4000 series iPAQ is a fair bit smaller, isn't it?

Quote:
Call me the Devil's Advocate, but I think that the T|3 will clean up the compitition at Christmas this year, hi-res, 400 MHz X-Scale, 64 Meg RAM, BT, how come no other manufacturer of PPC's is being somewhat creative with features/designs?
DTG 6, which can view/edit native Office docs, built into the ROM. For a long time, Pocket Word and Excel have been getting beat up by DTG, but you had to convert the files with DTG, now it doesn't matter.

Portrait/Landscape toggle - no soft reset required + higher res, almost worth price of admission there.

Even on the T|3 page, PalmOne is becoming more aggressive: (Marketing speak, but still)

"STRETCH DISPLAY
Breakthrough 320x480 Stretch Display rotates from portrait to landscape with the tap of a button for optimum viewing of spreadsheets, web pages and more. 50% more viewing area than other Palm handhelds and twice the resolution of Pocket PC 2003 handhelds."

Meanwhile, MS and Sony just twiddle their thumbs, I think MS is just hedging their bets on smartphones, Sony you never know, as long as it's their way.

http://www.palmone.com/us/products/h...s/tungsten-t3/

So, not earth shattering, but better than most other PPC's.

Old 10-01-2003, 06:47 PM
Iamzim
Pupil

"According to leaked information, the iPAQ h4155 will cost $449 when it is released later this year. "

I just got my 2215 less then 3 months ago ... :-(

Old 10-01-2003, 06:54 PM
apeguero
Intellectual

Did you all see in page 17 of the PDF manual? It's an image of the H4300 iPaq, YUCK!!! That's one ugly looking PPC.