Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 10-06-2003, 05:00 PM
Chris Hendriks
Ponderer
Default The Sprint G1000 by Hitachi: Big, but Beautiful

Are you ready to make the move to a totally wireless integrated voice and data solution that fits your busy mobile lifestyle? Have you been looking for a Pocket PC Phone Edition PDA with a built in QWERTY keyboard loaded with tons of features that will quench your need for mobility? Well, read on my friend! Let us see if this is the perfect solution for you. We are going to take a look at the new Sprint G1000 Pocket PC Phone Edition PDA by Hitachi. This integrated wireless Pocket PC Phone Edition PDA is truly the first device on the market that includes a built in keyboard and an integrated camera. All of these features are brought to market by two relative newcomers to this integrated wireless Pocket PC Phone Edition PDA segment � Sprint and Hitachi.

The Sprint G1000 by Hitachi is an integrated wireless Pocket PC Phone Edition PDA based on Microsoft�s Pocket PC 2002 Phone Edition operating system designed to work on Sprint�s PCS Vision network. Sprint is a US based carrier whose nationwide wireless digital PCS network is based on the CDMA standard. The most visible features on the G1000 include a built in QWERTY keyboard and a built in swivel VGA camera. However, there are many more features that make the G1000 a very usable integrated wireless PDA.

What�s in the Box?
The Sprint G1000 by Hitachi Pocket PC Phone Edition PDA comes in a well packaged box that enables a consumer to quickly determine the kit contents, system requirements and basic features. The box contains the following items:
  • The G1000 device � PCS Phone (Pocket PC 2002 Phone Edition)

• Lithium Ion Battery Pack � Rechargeable and replaceable (1500 mAh)

• USB Cradle � The cradle has a weighted base so is not designed to be taken with the traveler on their business trips.

• AC Adapter and AC Adapter cable

• Soft Case with Belt Clip � Designed to be a very functional case though not very fashionable.

• Stereo Mini Plug Adapter � Allows you to adapt your standard 3.5mm stereo headphone plug to the smaller mini plug.

• Start Here Guide � Contains activation instructions, the Sprint terms and conditions of service, and warranty information.

• Quick Start Card � An easy to read condensed card designed to get you up and running as quickly as possible.

• Companion CD-ROM � Contains Microsoft Outlook 2000, Microsoft ActiveSync 3.7, a link to Sprint�s PCS Business Connection, Microsoft Pocket Streets Web link, Microsoft Reader Web link, and other bonus software.
A Look at the Hitachi G1000 � External Features
The G1000 incorporates an incredible amount of features into the body of the PDA. There are even some features whose functionality is implemented in a new way. I find this incredibly creative and commend the designers of the G1000 for not just designing their device to meet the status quo. I even found new features on the PDA that were seemingly inspired by the wireless nature of the PDA but could be useful in non wireless models. In the next couple of paragraphs, I will discuss each of these hardware features and give you my opinion on their functionality and use. However, no look at the device would be complete without taking a look at the overall physical dimensions of the device and comparing this to other PDAs on the market.

Figure 1: Comparison of the G1000 physical dimensions with other popular PDAs.

The graphic above demonstrates that the G1000 pushes the boundaries for size and weight when compared to other devices on the market. However, only the iPAQ listed has integrated wireless LAN and Bluetooth in the PDA while the Axim does not have any integrated wireless. Neither the iPAQ nor the Axim have a built-in VGA swivel camera or an integrated keyboard. The integration of these features probably accounts for the increase in weight and some of the other dimensions. The big question is if these added features create more value in a customer�s mind than do the dimensions and weight of the PDA. This is a very personal choice that every consumer will have to make and the cumulative effect of these individual choices will determine the success of this category of device.

It is interesting to note that without exception everyone who I handed the device to felt uncomfortable putting such a large device to their ear to talk. This social discomfort disappeared when I connected a wired headset to the PDA or when the speaker phone option was turned on. My personal preference would be to use a bluetooth headset from which I would be able to control the functions of the phone either by button (send, end, volume) or voice (dial a number or contact). The interesting point to go away with is that we have become conditioned by social norms about the acceptable size for an �object� that we are willing to put to our ear in public. These boundaries become significantly less important if there is a wired headset or some other means to move the device away from the head. In fact, the usage mode then changes entirely from a standard talk/listen model to one where you can talk/listen/view/interact with data on the device.

The choice of a headset is a very personal choice. However, I think that both Sprint and Hitachi should have included one in the box. In addition, the strength of these devices is in their talk/listen/view/interact with data ability. As a consumer, I am always curious about the way I should interact with new technology and I am sure that there are many others out there who are the same. Personally, I like advertising that show a typical consumer like me interacting with the device. This shows me the best way to use it and gives me �ideas� about what to use it for. To be honest, a wireless PDA without a headset will lose to my cell phone. A wireless PDA with either a wired or a wireless headset opens up new functionality for me, be it looking at data while talking, looking up a contact�s phone number, or just playing a game. Well, I believe that I have made my point and hope that the appropriate folks are listening.

Looking at the other external hardware features, I was surprised to find the on/off switch at the back of the device (top center). However, I find that I like it there! I can turn the device on/off very easily while holding it in either hand � a very simple one-handed operation. It becomes a difficult one-handed operation or even a two-handed operation when the on/off button is on the front of the device. The back of the device also has a small recessed reset button, a speaker grille/opening for the speaker phone, and the battery compartment that contains a removable and rechargeable 1500 mAh lithium ion battery that supports 2.5 hours talk time and 168 hours stand-by time that takes approximately three hours to fully charge from a discharged state. The hard reset switch is located underneath the removable battery. The speaker on the back, designed for a speakerphone usage model, sits in the right side of a recessed oval �dimple�. Hitachi has designed a small riser (located above the speaker) that is designed to lift the PDA off of a flat surface so that audio from the speaker can be heard clearly. There is a much smaller riser on the back of the antenna (on the opposite side of the speaker) designed to provide the same function. I understand the function of these risers and I believe that they should have been omitted from the PDA (but this is a minor item).

Figure 2: Sprint G1000 by Hitachi

On the top is the built in VGA camera that swivels 180 degrees from the front to the back. Though, I like this feature, the device doesn�t offer streaming video capability for real time video conferencing so I think that just having a camera fixed to the rear would have been adequate in this case. The camera supports picture resolutions of VGA (640x480), QVGA (320x240) and QQVGA (160x120). On the right side of the PDA is the antenna, the pull out stylus and the volume up/down toggle button. On the left side of the PDA is the headphone mini plug that is covered by a hinged rubber cover, the SD/MMC memory card slot, the scroll dial with action push, the record button, the three-way environment (silent mode) switch, and the key guard switch. The three-way environment (silent mode) switch allows you to adjust or turn off audible indicators quickly without a lot tapping to tunnel down the menu structure in the software (useful when going into a meeting). The key guard switch is extremely useful since it turns off or disables all button/switch/dial operation and turns off the touchscreen if the PDA is �on�. When the screen of the G1000 is �on� and the key guard switch is turned on then a message displays indicating that the key guard switch is �on�. Essentially, when the key guard switch is �on� then no input or button functionality is enabled (including power on/off). The bottom of the PDA has connections for separate connections for power, cradle, and USB mini-B.

The front of the PDA has three indicator LEDs (charge, reminder, and phone). The screen is a 240 x 320, 3.5 inch, 65,536 color semi-transparent color TFT LCD. The screen is not as bright as an iPAQ 5450 but the color saturation and clarity is very similar. When the backlight is off and both the G1000 and the H5450, the G1000 is actually more readable in darker environments. In full sunlight conditions, they are both essentially the same. The built in QWERTY keyboard is very useful for text messaging or for just entering text. There are two usability issues that generally detract from the usefulness of the keyboard. The first is that the on screen keyboard pops up when you use the built in keyboard. The second is that it is rather difficult to key in numbers if you want to use the built in keyboard (press and hold the NUM key on the keypad then enter the numbers).

Figure 3: G1000 built in QWERTY keyboard

A Look at the Hitachi G1000 � Internal Features
The G1000 has the following internal specifications:
  • Intel Xscale processor, PXA255 400Mhz
  • ATI IMAGEON 3200 media co-processor
  • 32MB SDRAM
  • 32MB Flash EEPROM (Note: OS is not upgradeable or reflashable)
  • CDMA2000 1xRTT single band wireless module (1900 MHz CDMA band)
You can review FCC reports and correspondence about the G1000 on the FCC Web site. A review of the filed documents yields a couple of interesting facts. First, the actual internal photographs of the G1000 are quite interesting to view since you can determine what components are being used and who is supplying them. I saw that the single band 1900 MHz CDMA wireless module is supplied by AirPrime. In addition, the correspondence yields a relevant safety point. It is unwise to use the G1000 with the wireless turned �on� while it is resting on your lap/leg/arm for support without it being in the supplied case due to SAR safety concerns. SAR (or specific absorption rate) is the measure of energy (heat) absorbed by the body over a fixed period of time from a wireless source. However, these concerns are the same for your cell phone. I only mention this fact because you are more likely to rest a PDA on your lap than you are with a cell phone. It is easy to resolve this potential issue by keeping the cell phone or PDA either in the supplied case or by resting it on a book so that the nearest surface of the PDA is at least 25mm (2.5cm) away from your body. The greater the distance between your body and the wireless source dramatically reduces any potential risk.

Software on the Hitachi G1000
The most useful software on the G1000 is by Fonix and is called Voice Dial. This software is a totally interactive, hands-free application that enables you to place calls by number or by contact. After a wee bit training for the user (me), I absolutely swear by the usefulness of this software. Honestly, the only thing you have to learn is to not pause when speaking a ten digit phone number. If you do pause then the software incorrectly assumes that you are complete. However, you will learn to adapt your speech pattern so that you never have a problem. I found this voice solution to be useful and productive especially since it was mapped to a button on the front of the G1000 that launches the application. All you do is press the speaker phone button and then either call a contact or say a phone number.

The second most useful piece of software on the G1000 is the one designed for the built in VGA camera. There is a button on the main Today screen called �Pictures� that allows you to take pictures, review or wirelessly share your pictures, or save your pictures to a Sprint online Internet Web site. Once you take your picture, you have the option to upload it to the Sprint Web site, attach it to a contact, beam it, add a voice memo, edit the caption, or customize it (i.e. size, contrast, rotation, and three built in color effects). I found that I used this more and more but was disappointed that I didn�t know more people who had a similar device with whom to share my creative picture taking ability. This brings me to another issue. We have all seen that commercial on TV where this guy who has mustard all over his face has his picture taken by a camera/phone combination and then sent to someone with the voice memo �this is your next boyfriend ��. A very funny commercial but who among us has not done something in public that we would not want recorded for prosperity � stand up. Well, this raises many interesting discussions and debates while adding another layer of complexity to our public lives. I leave this topic with the following mental picture � fast forward 10 years later in life of this guy who is now running for political office and his opponent finds and use this early picture in a political ad with the caption �Do you want this person running your ��. Mark my words, it is going to happen. Do you see my point?

Regardless, I like the integrated camera and can�t wait until my friends and family have a similarly enabled wireless device so that I can exchange my pictures with them and vice versa. The only usability issue that I have with the implementation of this feature is �where is the button for the camera?� Isn�t that why the original 35mm instant camera became so popular in the mass market? Just point and click.

Figure 4: Westtek�s ClearVue Document, Worksheet, and Presentation

Hitachi includes a number of other software applications on the G1000:
  • ClearVue Document, Worksheet, PDF, and Presentation � these document viewers maintain the content, formatting and integrity of the original documents
  • Data Backup Utility � allows you to backup and restore data to either an SD or MMC storage card.
  • World Clock � simultaneously view the day, date, and time in any of four selectable cities
In addition to the software included with the G1000, Hitachi has included a number of shortcuts and shortcut buttons that are conveniently located on the Today screen. You can access the following applications directly from the Today screen:
  • The Phone application
  • Battery status
  • Phone power on/off
  • Call log
  • Speed Dial
  • Voice Mail
  • Pictures � access to the camera and picture management utilities
  • Tools � an quick launch utility for selected applications
  • Running � an application management utility
From a usability standpoint, the shortcuts and shortcut buttons are in the ideal location. The Pocket PC neophyte will have little problem accessing these applications or program groups. From a purely aesthetic point of view, I prefer that the buttons and popup windows follow the design requirements of the OS so that they blend in and look part of the operating system instead of an add on afterthought. Despite the software design guidelines not being followed, the interface and the software functions flawlessly and is not too distracting to use.

Figure 5: Westtek�s ClearVue PDF

Finally, taking a look at the Companion CD-ROM, there are a number of software applications or Web links to software applications that are either necessary or useful for the G1000 user:Does the G1000 work?
Yes. The Sprint G1000 by Hitachi performs flawlessly. I utilized the device in a variety of conditions while performing an assortment of tasks and was very pleased with both the performance of the G1000 and the performance of Sprint�s network. You will notice that your data performance will vary depending on your location and distance from a cell tower. In the city performance is quite fast but on an interstate between cities you may experience slower data performance. I highly recommend that you purchase a wired headset to use with your G1000 as it will increase your enjoyment of the PDAs capabilities by tenfold. The wired headset coupled with the Fonix voice recognition makes for an extremely pleasant user experience and allows you to multi task with your data and talk at the same time.

Gotchas
I recommend the Sprint G1000 by Hitachi Pocket PC 2002 Phone Edition PDA for mobile professionals. For the average consumer, I think that the G1000 pushes the size and weight envelope to the limit and as such I think that it should be offered with a hands free wired headset in the box. The retail price of $549 to $649 is comparable with the WLAN/Bluetooth iPAQ 5450.

Where To Buy
The Sprint G1000 by Hitachi Pocket PC 2002 Phone Edition PDA can be purchased from MobilePlanet for $639.95 US [affiliate link]. The G1000 can only be activated in the US on Sprint�s network. The voice and data plans start at around $50 US and increase based on how many total monthly minutes you purchase.

Specifications
Microsoft recommends that your personal computer (that you intend to synchronize your G100 with) should have a minimum of a 133 MHz or higher CPU and have Microsoft Windows 98, ME, 2000, or XP installed. Generally, your computer will greatly exceed these minimum requirements if it was purchased within the last five years.

Conclusions
I recommend The Sprint G1000 by Hitachi Pocket PC 2002 Phone Edition PDA for use by mobile professionals who frequently travel and their travel is predominantly within the US. Unfortunately, the size will discourage many potential customers who don�t fully utilize the data capabilities of this device. I highly recommend that you purchase a hands free wired headset to use with the G1000 so that you can talk on the phone and refer to your notes or data at the same time. The addition of the headset dramatically increases your enjoyment and usability of the G1000.

Old 10-06-2003, 05:19 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

My mom always siad if you can't say something nice, don't say it all. So I'll just remain silent about this "thing". :lilangel:

Excellent review though. You did a fabulous job, Chris. :way to go:

Old 10-06-2003, 05:48 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

The size doesn't bother me that much. It's the only 32MB of memory that hurts this phone. At least 64MB is a requirement now.

I am curious though about that black almost hood-like thing. It seems like they put a lot of extraneous plastic in there. They could probably have trimmed that a little bit to cut down the size.

Besides, I'm looking hard at the HP 6000 when it comes out. A GSM phone, camera, Bluetooth, WiFi, 64MB memory and SD slot - all in the size of an iPaq 2200.

Old 10-06-2003, 06:25 PM
TopDog
Sage
Send a message via Skype™ to TopDog

I would like to see some pictures of this "big'n'beautiful" from the sides and back... does anyone have a link or pictures?

...then again, why bother, this thing will propably never make it all the way up to Norway :-(

Old 10-06-2003, 06:39 PM
CTSLICK
Sage

Our company just picked up 10 of these for some customer service reps who will be on the road nearly 80% of the time. The decision was made to go this route instead of a laptop as the need was primarily some light email and light MS Office document reading. So far the initial reactions have been pretty positive...even from those completely unfamiliar with PDA's. The "look and feel" similarities with desktop Windows goes a long way with most users. The keyboard really helps get them over the "oh my God what do I do" hump. The jury is still out on battery life. I think we will be investing in spare batteries and multi-input chargers soon. We'll see how they fair after a couple of months on the road.

Old 10-06-2003, 07:07 PM
Pocket PC Dubai
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to Pocket PC Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDog
I would like to see some pictures of this "big'n'beautiful" from the sides and back... does anyone have a link or pictures?

...then again, why bother, this thing will propably never make it all the way up to Norway :-(

Old 10-06-2003, 07:36 PM
danmanmayer
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to danmanmayer
Default waiting for

Must wait for XDA 2... integrated keyboard kinda cool but no thanks. I was impressed by the quality of the digital camera when i messed around witht his device though.

Old 10-06-2003, 07:57 PM
tonyv
Pupil
Default No thanks

I would never buy anything without upgradable firmaware

Old 10-06-2003, 09:22 PM
ExtremeSIMS
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to ExtremeSIMS Send a message via AIM to ExtremeSIMS
Default Re: No thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv
I would never buy anything without upgradable firmaware
Hehe - I happen to own a Toshiba e740, which DOES have firmware that is upgradeable... ANWAY, it's been acting wonky, so the Hitachi may be the answer.

Old 11-02-2003, 03:27 AM
The PocketTV Team
Thinker

Too bad the built-in keyboard has no backlight!

This makes it unusable in low-lights situations...