Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-23-2003, 07:23 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default USB to IrDA Adaptor Free After Rebate

http://www.outpost.com/entry?site=o...fe2&sku=3638295

Although IR synching seems "old school" nowadays, I figured that some of you might benefit from this adaptor if you happen to have a newer laptop that lacks an IR port.

"Easily add wireless capability to your desktop or laptop with our USB to Infrared adapter. This plug and play adapter instantly allows a wireless connection with IRDA capable cell phones, PDA's, keyboards and printers allowing you to send and receive important information. Note: Limit one per household."

Old 09-23-2003, 07:36 PM
Bruno Figueiredo
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Bruno Figueiredo

Oh man! Not Fare!!! I'm lusting for one of these for some time but can't find it anywhere in Portugal. Just some bulky ones with cable. And you can have one now for free! Not fare!

Isn't there a charitable soul :wink: (wich happens to already own one of these) who can order this and send it to me? I'll pay shipping of course.

Old 09-23-2003, 07:44 PM
spaceman
Ponderer

rebate coupon is for $30 and is expired. Last day for purchase is 8/31/2003

Old 09-23-2003, 07:47 PM
Dave Beauvais
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman
rebate coupon is for $30 and is expired. Last day for purchase is 8/31/2003
The PDF rebate form I downloaded from the page last night before I ordered is valid for purchases made between 2003-09-05 through 2003-09-26. Must be postmarked within ten days of purchase. Try downloading the form again; maybe they updated it since you originally looked.

--Dave

Old 09-23-2003, 08:26 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian
Default Re: USB to IrDA Adaptor Free After Rebate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
...if you happen to have a newer laptop that lacks an IR port...
Why IS that, anyway? I mean, there are still plenty of mobile phones and other devices that people like to synch via IR, right? Why is it that my POS IBM 300mHz notebook has an IR port and not my 2gHz sweetie?

Old 09-23-2003, 09:30 PM
spaceman
Ponderer
Default right URL for rebate form

this URL has the right form http://image.fp.outpost.com/art/rebates_pdf/3638295.pdf

This URL from the product page http://image.ak.outpost.com/art/rebates_pdf/3638295.pdf points to an expired $30 coupon

Old 09-23-2003, 11:11 PM
xoiph
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to xoiph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Adrian
Why is it that my POS IBM 300mHz notebook has an IR port and not my 2gHz sweetie?
Your IBM notebook runs Palm OS?? :twisted:

Old 09-23-2003, 11:38 PM
JustinGTP
Mystic

This could be handy for me at school :twisted: There is no direct link from my PDA to all of our school computers. Plug and play and no drivers? Excellent. I will be getting one of these And plus my cell phone can hook up to this aswell

-Justin.

Old 09-24-2003, 01:33 AM
gohtor
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to gohtor Send a message via MSN to gohtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Adrian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
...if you happen to have a newer laptop that lacks an IR port...
Why IS that, anyway? I mean, there are still plenty of mobile phones and other devices that people like to synch via IR, right? Why is it that my POS IBM 300mHz notebook has an IR port and not my 2gHz sweetie?
Yeah i've noticed that newer laptops have dropped all the non essentials. IR & com ports are things of the past. in the old days IR was a way of printing to an HP printer but it didn't catch on. com ports are now replaced by usb ports.

if your phone/pda/whatever ir device needs to sync with your laptop or pc you can easily upgrade with these usb ir dongles. I modded my HP IR module to work on my asus mobo. but found it was not of any use except syncing my phone. I had used my casio to msn through IR a long time ago but it's laughable now.

Old 09-24-2003, 04:49 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda_Civic_Si
This could be handy for me at school :twisted: There is no direct link from my PDA to all of our school computers. Plug and play and no drivers? Excellent. I will be getting one of these And plus my cell phone can hook up to this aswell

-Justin.
You should be forewarned that shipping on these suckers is $18.03USD ($24.37CAD as of today) to Canada.