Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 09-22-2003, 09:00 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian
Default Create Your Own Pocket PC Games

http://game-editor.com/

If you've ever wanted to create your own Pocket PC games but were stalled because you aren't a programmer, here's a tool that might help get you started: Game Editor.

"Game Editor is an interactive multimedia tool for game development, with a simple and intuitive interface and a rich set of features which allow anyone, even with little or no programming knowledge at all, to develop 2D games for personal computers and mobile devices. The tool is designed to be portable across many different platforms, including Windows (9x, Me, NT, 2000, XP), Linux, MacOS, PocketPC (WinCE) and Symbian."

The Game Editor site has a few screen shots, but the documentation is pretty extensive. The software is free, so this could be just the entry into the gaming game you've been looking for.

Old 09-22-2003, 10:15 AM
asolarino76
Neophyte

8O WOW !!!
This is what I was looking for from a long time.
I'm downloading it right now and I'm anxious to
see it at work, THANKS :mrgreen:

Old 09-22-2003, 11:31 AM
wocket
Thinker

To be able to compile your game for the pocket pc you need to pay for the full version from what I can see.

But you can still play around with it on your desktop machine.

Old 09-22-2003, 11:39 AM
sponge
Philosopher

Frankly, all this comes down to is everyone will make a bunch of Space Invader clones, and simple puzzle games. Your much better off taking the time to learn programming.

Old 09-22-2003, 01:57 PM
wocket
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge
Frankly, all this comes down to is everyone will make a bunch of Space Invader clones, and simple puzzle games. Your much better off taking the time to learn programming.

Very very true!

Old 09-22-2003, 03:15 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

Quote:
Your much better off taking the time to learn programming.
Sure. But this could also provide the spark that gets somebody interested enough to learn to program.

Old 09-22-2003, 03:19 PM
husky99
Pupil
Default Good stone to step on

A tool like this is perfect for those who are trying to figure out how to program. When you start with a blank sheet, it is difficult to know just where to begin. This looks to be an excellent tool to jumpstart a game application. While you are limited to only the supplied functions, you can at least get an idea of the programming layout. It would be really nice if this tool would generate a template to port the code over to a true SDK and allow you to make modifications outside of the tool's limitations.

Old 09-22-2003, 10:31 PM
Will T Smith
Thinker
Default Not a programming tutorial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Adrian
Quote:
Your much better off taking the time to learn programming.
Sure. But this could also provide the spark that gets somebody interested enough to learn to program.
Well maybe.

The package seems to be an excellent generic engine for traditional 2-D "rastar" games. I'm actually really impressed.

Anyway, it will basically give a basic tutorial on how the building blocks of a 2-D game(actors, collision areas, landscape, etc..). Though it won't provide the user with the actual mechanics (code) of how the game engine operates. Modifying the code would be the really fun part past the gratification of getting something interesting working.

I would call this package a true 4GL for 80s style arcade games. It's actually pretty cool in the level of decomposition that allows one to "specify" a game and the generator will spit out all of the pieces (sprites, sound, code) that will make it work. He wasn't generating .exe's in his first revision. So I would suspect that the gen1 stuff is all "simulated" through an engine (similar to Java or .net).

The fact that I can see for certain is the screen-shots are using X/Motif widgets so he's likely developing primarily on Linux.