Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 09-19-2003, 09:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Exposing Your Life - The Top Facts on PDA Usage

http://www.net-security.org/article.php?id=564

"If one in three houses in your street were left with their front doors open at night would you think their owners were asking for trouble? One in three PDA users keep their PDA's unprotected by not bothering with passwords which could end with the same dire consequences as keeping their doors open at night. A bit far fetched you might think but what happens when your unprotected PDA is pick-pocketed to order, lost or stolen and ends up in the wrong hands? Money could be taken out of your bank account, all your personal and business secrets could be breached, your customer databases could be stolen or worse still you could lose your entire identity. According to Home Office Minister Beverley Hughes at a recent Combating Identity Fraud Conference, ID fraud costs the country more than L1.3 billion every year and takes the average victim of identity theft 300 hours to put their records straight."

Old 09-19-2003, 09:15 PM
mclaughlinc
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to mclaughlinc Send a message via MSN to mclaughlinc

OK I will be the first one a step up to say I guilty. I have a HP iPAQ 5450 and do not use password or the biometric reader in my device.

I don't keep banking or credit card information on my device. So I have never felt the need to use these features on my device.

Old 09-19-2003, 09:17 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaughlinc
I don't keep banking or credit card information on my device. So I have never felt the need to use these features on my device.
In my case, I leave all the sensitive stuff locked behind my eWallet, and since I carry a Pocket PC Phone, locking it makes it much more difficult to use, so I don't.

--janak

Old 09-19-2003, 09:23 PM
mclaughlinc
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to mclaughlinc Send a message via MSN to mclaughlinc

Don't take this the wrong way but I have never seen the value of programs like eWallet. Maybe I need to see or hear about how other people use programs like these to understand why I should use one.

Lots of people uses programs like eWallet so there most be something I missing.

Old 09-19-2003, 09:30 PM
Rok
Ponderer

The results of this "PDA Usage Survey 2003" are completely bogus.

Forty one percent are now using their PDA to access their corporate network.
Gimme a break. Considering how many old and utterly unconnected Palms are out there, this is completely impossible. And they claim that 32 % use it to read e-mail - less than the number of people accessing corporate networks? Yeah. Right. Sure. :roll:

Over 25% of PDA users have lost it at some time.
Another Gimme a break. I know many people owning PDAs - yet I don't know anyone that's lost it.

A third do not use passwords to access their PDA - and yet a third use their PDAs to store their passwords.
So? While there are certainly people storing sensitive information on their PDAs and not locking it with a password, it is completely impossible to derive their number from the above statement. Thus the claim that one third of PDA users behave as recklesly as someone leaving their front door open at night is nothing but stupid sensationalism. Yet another Gimme a break.

Sheesh. Some survey this is.

Rok

Old 09-19-2003, 09:38 PM
g0097
Ponderer

I definately make use of the fingerprint scanner on my ipaq 5555. It works alot better than the one on the 5450 for me and to tell you the truth, I never thought it was anything more than a bother to keep having to swipe my finger just to check an appointment...till I almost lost my ipaq at a phone booth! 8O I learned real quick that even though it was not really sensitive data like passwords on my ipaq, I definately still did not want anyone having that much info about me.

Old 09-19-2003, 09:42 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Let's see, with FlexWallet, I carry:

- credit card numbers
- calling card numbers-
- usernames & passwords for all Web sites
- server admin details for the PPCT server
- affiliate codes & payment history
- medical information, health care numbers, etc.
- domain information for all the domains I own,
- and a whole lot more

To be honest, I have difficulty in grasping how someone could NOT use a digital wallet program - my Pocket PC is where I keep all the data I want to have with me 24/7. :-D

Old 09-19-2003, 09:45 PM
malcolmsharp
Ponderer

Quote:
Don't take this the wrong way but I have never seen the value of programs like eWallet. Maybe I need to see or hear about how other people use programs like these to understand why I should use one.

I put in most of my serial/reg numbers for applications there. After I moved, I had to totally re inatall windows. Problem... I couldn't find all the cases with the serial numbers. But I did have ewallet, and I had them.

I have my credit card info on it as well. That means I don't have to dig it out when using it online. And as I also have the number I should call if it gets stolen there too, away from home I can call right away.

When I worked at a big company, I had all the door codes in there too.

When I was on unemployment, I had all my info for it there, and I could call the number and get my status anywhere.

I always have my bank account number with me.

When I went home, I could access all my online stuff becuase I had all the web pages and pass words with me.

Old 09-19-2003, 09:49 PM
JustinGTP
Mystic

Hmm,

I think that passwords are a great thing, I have one on my PPC. However, I dont have any other personal things on there except for my address and phone number displayed on the INFO page.

I might think of my PDA as a entertainment unit and school work.

-Justin

Old 09-19-2003, 09:54 PM
drop
Thinker

Quote:

May be if you download one and give it a try. You might have a lot more important/sensitive data than you think :wink: . And really it is the best place to store all kind of data, important ones or not.

I have all my airline milage account info on my FlexWallet. Do you use one username/password set on everything? Why? Because it is hard to remember too many passwords? With wallet apps you don't have to.

If you admin anything, like Jason, wallet app is almost a must.

There was a great article here recently about wallet apps.

But getting back on topic, I am guilty of not password protect my PPC. May be I should. Losing important personal information is one thing. Giving out hundreds of friends and business contact info is unforgivable.