Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-29-2003, 05:00 PM
Anthony Caruana
Sage
Default Do you use Protection? The Proporta Aluminum Case for the iPAQ 2210

Well, you've spent weeks or even months agonizing over which Pocket PC you'll buy. You've spent hours pouring over benchmarks and reviews and interrogated every sales person within 100 kilometres of your home. Finally you choose your new Pocket PC. For me, it was the iPAQ 2210. You get the box open and all is good. Then, you see the pitiful slip case HP provides and the glow of your new iPAQ is tarnished a little. But, luckily Proporta comes to the rescue with one of the nicest cases around; its aluminium hard case.

The Proporta Aluminium Case not only looks great but provides your iPAQ 2210/5 with some serious protection. The case adds very little to overall weight and size of the 2210 and looks very slick. This is the second Proporta Aluminium case I've had and I've been very impressed.

Mmmm... It's Shiny
When I first got my case I was struck by how good it looked and by its solid feel. This case is a real head turner. It feels pretty good in the hand and doesn't make the device any more difficult to use. All of the cutouts are well placed and line up correctly. You can even access the reset button on the back of the iPAQ with the stylus if you need to.

The iPAQ sits snugly in the case and I don't believe there is any danger of it becoming accidentally dislodged. It passed my "turn it upside down and give it a shake test" without any problems.

Figure 1: My 2210 in the Proporta Aluminium Case.

Using the Case
Once the iPAQ is in the case you'll find that you still have access to all of the iPAQ's ports and slots - as you can see in the figures below.

Figure 2: The back of the case showing the stylus and speaker cutouts.

One of the things I especially liked about this case was that I could easily connect my charge and sync cable without having to open the case.

Figure 3: The underside of the case showing the sync port cutaway.

As you can see, it you use a CF or SD card that protrudes from the iPAQ you can leave it in place even if the case is closed. This is one of my favourite features of this case. It means I can keep my device protected and still leave my WiFi card in my Pocket PC.

Figure 4: A top view of my iPAQ in the case showing the easy access to the SD and CF slots.

Gotchas
Well, there has to be something wrong doesn't there? My only issues with this case are :
  • The front cover doesn't flip all the way around to the back. This means that it looks like an open book when I'm holding it
  • There's an SD/MMC card holder in the case but you leave the card with the connectors on the outside I'd prefer the connectors facing inwards so that they are more protected.
  • Unlike many of the leather cases on the market there is nowhere in this case to stow a credit card or business cards securely
  • No belt clip
  • Blutooth range is severely impeded when the case is closed
Where To Buy
You can buy the Proporta Aluminium case directly from Proporta for $39.95 USD. I've bought a few things from Proporta and their service is great. From order to delivery only takes a few days (from the UK to Australia). As this case is not yet available, if you pre-order Proporta will ship you a Neoprene case until the aluminum case is available.

Conclusions
There's a lot to like about this case. It looks great and offers plenty of protection for your iPAQ. Would I buy one? You betcha!

Old 09-29-2003, 05:38 PM
Boxster S
Intellectual

Quote:
Blutooth range is severely impeded when the case is closed
Umm, what could you possibly be using Bluetooth for if the case is closed? That's like saying "I can't adjust the volume on my car's radio b/c I'm standing outside the car with the door closed and the windows up."

If the case is closed, you can't use the device period unless you're listening to some music or something. I don't understand your complaint

Old 09-29-2003, 05:46 PM
bjornkeizers
Sage

I bought a Proporta case for my 1915 two weeks ago. I totally agree, they're great cases. Now I don't need to worry about my ipaq so much. I used to carry my PPC's around in a Game Boy Color case 8O Of course, this one is a tad smaller then that; but with the proporta case on and tucked into my Game Boy case [which does have a belt clip] I can carry it around without anything to worry about. 8) Plus, I can sync and charge with the case on, always a plus.

The only real complaint is they're not as easy to hold. You can't hold it on one hand comfortably for long periods, and since the cover flip back around the case, it looks a bit silly.

Old 09-29-2003, 06:20 PM
seatec
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to seatec

I just picked one up at Fry's for $29.95. I reaally like it but still miss the ease the flip lid of my now second string Jornada 568. would like to see them make on in titanium like they do for some of the Palms, but with a flip up cover and no padding just a skin for protection. The case is strong but weighs almost as much as the 2215 itself. And I do agree that the SD card should be turned the opposite way also.
Overall I like the case for safety since I have broken screens on my first Casio E-10, jornadaa 548 and Jornada 568. but it maakes the HP 2215 lose its sweet pockatable size and weight.

Old 09-29-2003, 06:21 PM
ttyrell
Neophyte
Default The case is avalable

Quote:
As this case is not yet available, if you pre-order Proporta will ship you a Neoprene case until the aluminum case is available.

The case is now available from the proporta web site!

Old 09-29-2003, 06:26 PM
jet8810
Intellectual

I was very seriously looking into this case (currently using a sleeve case from casesonline.com) but I simply cannot sacrifice my rubber grips! They help me grip the 2215 so much that I am no tsillin to use a slippery aluminum case...did that bother you at all Mr. Caruana? .

Old 09-29-2003, 07:05 PM
rmasinag
Theorist

I have this case and I alternate between this and a Bellagio slipper case. I would tolerate this this more(*soo pretty, gets many ooohss and aaahhhs!) if I can sync it with cradle. I have a travelsync cable but its at work, and I agree it should have 2 hinges so it can fold way back. I might tolerate all that for a titanuim version.

just $.50 from a case owner

Old 09-29-2003, 07:12 PM
Paragon
Magi

I just received one from Proporta. It is a great case. If you are worried about the Sd card being stored with the contacts facing out, you can turn it over. It doesn't seat quite the same but it is secure, and doesn't protrude enough to touch the screen. In fact I keep my SD WiFi card there. It works great! As for a belt clip, I epoxied the knob part of a belt clip to the back of the case which works perfect. It's an excellent case, and surprisingly it doesn't add a huge amount of bulk.

Dave

Old 09-29-2003, 08:24 PM
dma1965
Thinker

I bought one of these aluminum cases (actually an innopocket, same case, different brand) through ebay about a month ago, and also bought a Vaja case for my 2210 as well. I got the aluminum case first, and I use it when I am in the field (I do IT for a retail operation with stores that have lots of things to bump into), but I far prefer the Vaja case for day to day use. I can store my business cards and Symbol CF WiFi card in the Vaja case, as well as 2 spare SD or MMC cards, and it is so slim you do not even notice you have a case on it. The Vaja case is EXTREMELY well built and designed, with lots of attention to detail, and is made from a superb leather (with that "great leather" smell :wink: ). The aluminum case is definitely better if you want more protection (you can easily sit on the aluminum case without a worry), but for a classier look and feel, Vaja is the way to go. The Vaja case also offers a better grip, with the leather being easy to hold onto, and it also exposes some of the rubber sides as well.

Old 09-29-2003, 10:49 PM
Anthony Caruana
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster S
Quote:
Blutooth range is severely impeded when the case is closed
Umm, what could you possibly be using Bluetooth for if the case is closed? That's like saying "I can't adjust the volume on my car's radio b/c I'm standing outside the car with the door closed and the windows up."

If the case is closed, you can't use the device period unless you're listening to some music or something. I don't understand your complaint
It's not a big deal. It was something I noticed while I was using the case. Ocassionally I'll have a BT connection and just close the case for a few minutes and find that the BT connection was dropped.