Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 09-11-2003, 06:00 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Port Mozilla To The Pocket PC?

http://www.sourcesupport.org/?project=40

A group of people seem to be tired of having "pocket" web browsers on the Pocket PC platform, and would like to have a full-featured solution instead. As a result, they've taken up the idea of porting Mozilla. While this is theoretically doable, as Mozilla is a fairly modular system (with, most importantly, a separate rendering engine called "Gecko") which runs on most platforms, some work would need to be done in the UI and reformatting aspects to make it feasible.

To this end, they've set up a pool for people to make contributions to entice open-source programmers to build such a port. I think it's a great idea -- there's nothing wrong with getting more software on the Pocket PC, and if a first-class desktop HTML renderer could be ported over, we'd have a superior web browsing solution to a lot of the tools we have now. The Pocket PC certainly has the processing power, so why not? If you're interested in contributing or working on the project to try and win the pool, check it out.

Old 09-11-2003, 06:14 AM
Paul
Intellectual

Yeah! Let's see some MozillaFirebird action on the PPC!

Old 09-11-2003, 06:36 AM
prismejon
Intellectual

What I want most of those features is actually landscape mode, but intelligent scaling wouldn't hurt either

Old 09-11-2003, 06:55 AM
dean_shan
Mystic

Do it. Do it. DO IT! (If I was smart enough I would help ops

Old 09-11-2003, 07:02 AM
Gremmie
Philosopher

If we are moving to the route to install better 3rd party solutions I think we need to either:
-Have more PDA's with extended ROM space to store these application
-Allow uninstallation of PPC ROM Applications to free ROM space for alternatives.

For some reason I feel the latter would be most interesting. If you don't know it, you can uninstall Windows applications in order to free space, but this doesn't matter as much on desktops with x+100 gigs of space. I am hesitant to install duplicate programs in my RAM when I can use my ROM programs. While 3rd party soluations are generally better, RAM is still precious.

BTW, Janek, you're a grad programmer, you should open a site for PPC open-source alternatives

Old 09-11-2003, 07:06 AM
szamot
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremmie
If we are moving to the route to install better 3rd party solutions I think we need to either:
-Allow uninstallation of PPC ROM Applications to free ROM space for alternatives.

For some reason I feel the latter would be most interesting. If you don't know it, you can uninstall Windows applications in order to free space, but this doesn't matter as much on desktops with x+100 gigs of space. I am hesitant to install duplicate programs in my RAM when I can use my ROM programs. While 3rd party soluations are generally better, RAM is still precious.
I agree, would it not be nice to install XP on the desktop without the IE, Outlook Express and the rest of the junk that XP feels compelled to throw in. I too would help with the port if I could but I still can't get Godzilla out of my head, never mind getting my head around Mozilla. :lol:

Old 09-11-2003, 07:07 AM
dean_shan
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremmie
Yes and yes. That would be sweet. I might have to buy a new PPC it it allowed that.

Old 09-11-2003, 07:09 AM
ppcinfo
Ponderer

Is the Mozilla source code (Windows-based) available?

ppcinfo

Old 09-11-2003, 07:46 AM
jage
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcinfo
Is the Mozilla source code (Windows-based) available?

ppcinfo
Sure it is. http://mozilla.org/.

Personally I don't think we're going to actually run Mozilla any time soon. Maybe when everyone has 128MB SDRAM and 800MHz CPUs. Once again, remember that the MHz you get on Pocket PC is not comparable to desktop systems. I don't want to rant again, so check my earlier post about Pocket PC processing power http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...088&highlight= instead.

Well, the first thing to do would be Pocket PC native user interface, from scratch. You're NOT going to be able to port whole mozilla, just gecko at most. And it would run very very slowly on PPC, try Mozilla on 90MHz Pentium with 32MB of memory to get the idea...

Old 09-11-2003, 08:29 AM
gohtor
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to gohtor Send a message via MSN to gohtor

I'd definately help if they're using .net to code it =)

I hope it's our answer to much of the limitations of PIE.

but seriously... how badly do we want javascript and the other stuff?