Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Customizations & Content

Old 09-03-2003, 07:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Fictionwise Selling Snow Crash -- With 100% Micropay Rebate!

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook16634.htm

If you like science fiction, Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash is one of the more famous recent works, in no small part to Stephenson's detailed vision of how a future world seamlessly synthesizes virtual reality and physical reality together. It's also a great page-turner.

Until September 8th, Fictionwise is offering a 100% micropay rebate on the purchase of Snow Crash, which means that the whole amount you spend towards Snow Crash can be used towards the purchase of other books there as well. If you're a frequent ebook reader, you might want to check this deal out.

Old 09-03-2003, 07:30 PM
Kevin Jackson
Contributing Editor

Plus, if you're a Buywise member (as I am) you can get The Diamond Age with the same deal.

Buywise membership is $29.95 per year and, next to Pocket PC Thoughts, is the best money I spend on my handheld. If you buy a lot of ebooks, it really is worth checking out. http://www.fictionwise.com/buywise.htm

Old 09-03-2003, 07:47 PM
surur
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpjackson
Plus, if you're a Buywise member (as I am) you can get The Diamond Age with the same deal.
But Ive read both of these already! Its just a scam to get our money in their micro-payment system.

Old 09-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surur
But Ive read both of these already! Its just a scam to get our money in their micro-payment system.
What on earth are you talking about? You're not obligated to buy the book. If you've read it, then by all means don't buy it. That doesn't make it a scam. :?

--janak

Old 09-03-2003, 08:12 PM
Pat Logsdon
Magi

Quote:
:roll: Please. As Janak said, no one is forcing you to buy this book.

For those that haven't read it, this is really one of the best written, most original near-future sci-fi books I've ever read, and the sequel is just as good. It's worth signing up JUST to get these books.

Old 09-03-2003, 08:31 PM
Zensbikeshop
Intellectual

Darn! I got all excited and the realised that it was Snow Crash and not Cryptonomicon... :?

I've read Snow Crash and it is brilliant! The hero has the best name ever in Hiro Protagonist.

At that price it's worth buying for the first chapter all about the Cosanostra Pizza Company...

Old 09-03-2003, 08:47 PM
surur
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Quote:
What on earth are you talking about? You're not obligated to buy the book. If you've read it, then by all means don't buy it. That doesn't make it a scam. :?

--janak
OK people, it was just a semi-serious joke! :werenotworthy:

What I was alluding to, was of course that anybody who was interested in that particular genre (like me) would most certainly have read it already. I mean, how could anyone not have ready Snow crash or especially the Diamond Age yet?.

So maybe scam was too strong a work, but its obviously a promotion to get people who have read the book already, to place some money in their micropayment bank, and get used to buying things using the micropayment system.

The thinking they must be encouraging would be "mmm, Ive read that already, but its actually free!! so Ill just buy it again in ebook form. I'll use the rebate to buy something else.." when you were probably not intending to buy anything or use their micropayment to start with.

So OK, promotion, not scam.

Surur

Old 09-03-2003, 08:55 PM
Crystal Eitle
Sage

Not everybody has read these yet. I've been waiting for them to come out in e-book form.

Woo hoo!

Anyway, I think the Micropay rebate is a good deal. Sure, you're not getting any money back, but it does go into your Micropay account which you can use to buy more eBooks. The only way this isn't a good deal is if you're not a frequent ebook reader.

Old 09-03-2003, 09:15 PM
surur
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Eitle
Not everybody has read these yet. I've been waiting for them to come out in e-book form.
Ah.. then you not a true fan! I love cyberpunk, and regularly search amazon and peanut press for keywords like nanotech and uploading etc. There has been disappointingly little out recently.

The last one I read was Slant, which I had started many years ago, but never finished in paper form.

Surur

Old 09-03-2003, 10:15 PM
ChristopherTD
Thinker

A nice promotion indeed! I got both books for a net outlay of about $1.50.

I will certainly use the Micropay amount on something in the future - but only when I have finished reading the 20 or more books that I already have accumulated.