Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Competition

Old 08-18-2003, 07:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Gartner Releases Q2 2003 Market Share Results

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/68/32386.html

This is similar to the IDC report we discussed earlier this month, but Gartner has released some additional information. In device share, Palm, whoops, I mean pa1mOne (makes me want to type "pa1mOne, w00t l33t h4x0r5") is still on top, primarily because of their success with the $99 Zire. As you can see in Figure 1, devices running the Pocket PC OS now account for 35.9% of the PDA market. Note too that this is going to include almost none of the new Windows Mobile 2003 devices like the popular iPAQ 2215 and 1940 models.

Figure 1: Device Market Share

Figures 2 and 3 show, however, that the Pocket PC platform accounts for 47.7% of revenue, followed by PalmOS with 41%. Finally, Figure 4 recaps the IDC report with some tweaks that show some differences in how Gartner came up with their totals.

Figure 2: PDA Sales in Dollars

Figure 3: Dollar Market Share

Figure 4: Global PDA Unit Sales

Old 08-18-2003, 07:31 PM
kagayaki1
Thinker

Cool numbers. But I've got to admit, I had to run PPCThoughts through some of the digitizer links. We could be so cool, and be just like Pa1mOne

Old 08-18-2003, 07:36 PM
lurch
Thinker

Now, I'm not a business guy, so maybe someone can explain this to me, but when I see that a product (in this case, the generic Pocket PC) has a significantly lower portion of market share, and a higher portion of revenue, all that tells me is that Pocket PCs are much more expensive than their competitors... so maybe if the average prices were lower the market share would be higher? (but then revenue would be down)

Or am I not understanding something (extremely possible)
:iamwithstupid:

Old 08-18-2003, 07:43 PM
PhatCohiba
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch
Now, I'm not a business guy, so maybe someone can explain this to me, but when I see that a product (in this case, the generic Pocket PC) has a significantly lower portion of market share, and a higher portion of revenue, all that tells me is that Pocket PCs are much more expensive than their competitors... so maybe if the average prices were lower the market share would be higher? (but then revenue would be down)

You understand the data, but are missing the point. Palm has two types of devices, a sub-$100 dollar zire which is basically the old stripped palm 3 type device and high-end pocket pc like devices.

the implied analysis is that the majority of this volume is of the low cost variety. I'd expect that palm is losing seriously in the higher end of the pda market.

-jb

Old 08-18-2003, 07:43 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch

Or, Pocket PCs could be priced at a profitable price point and pa1mOne could be charging so little they are not making a net profit by selling those $99 zires. Cutting the Tungsten T from $499 to $299 in 6 months probably isn't helping their story either.

Old 08-18-2003, 08:16 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator

I really would like to see the data with the Zire's stripped out. The high end palms compare to PPC's but the Zire has no equivalent in PPC's. The Zire is more like a high end Royal-type organizer (don't get me wrong, I think the Zire is a neat little device and is probably great for a lot of people, but then paper planners are good for lots of people too)

Old 08-18-2003, 08:44 PM
Ed@Brighthand
Intellectual

I know who palmOne is but I've never heard of pa1mOne.

Old 08-18-2003, 08:45 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Brighthand
See http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...ic.php?t=16747

It seems they incorporated the 1 vs the l into their new logo/name

Old 08-18-2003, 08:58 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Brighthand
Their logo. I can't make this stuff up.

There are people at PIC poking fun of the l33t h4x0r word too. http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=5817

Old 08-18-2003, 09:01 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

Interesting... if you go to the Palm web site http://www.palm.com, you see the logo is quite clearly pa1mOne, but the text link shows palmOne, and the URL is www.palmone.com....

Hmmmmm seems to be a bit of confusion here :roll: :?: -- unless the 'l' in palmOne is meant to be stylized in the logo, but is still an 'l', not a '1'.