Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 08-14-2003, 11:05 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default I love GPRS!

We're in the midst of one of the worst power failures in NYC - EVERYTHING is down here, but I still have my Internet & PPCT fix -- thanks to T-Mobile. :lol:

Seriously, I'm on my PPCPE, which seems more reliable than the phones here right now. Having alternative communications is growing more useful by the day. Have you ever used such tools in emergencies?

Old 08-14-2003, 11:16 PM
Fzara
Thinker

Good to hear from you. At least we know you're safe, and have communication.

Janak, in NJ right now, the T-Mobile network and towers are disconnecting callers randomly, and are sometimes denying calls because of the circuits being completely filled.

So, my question is, how is your GPRS working properly using T-Mobile? You're in NYC, which should even be more congested than NJ.

On a sidenote, Janak, some more speculation is showing that there is a possibility some of these shortages were created by the new computer worm which was going around the net this past week.

Old 08-15-2003, 12:00 AM
beq
Oracle

^ Hmm, I wouldn't think that's likely (about Blaster worm cause)...

Can't access a primary mail acct right now

Old 08-15-2003, 12:09 AM
danmanmayer
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to danmanmayer
Default YEah ppcpe saved me

Yeah imagine having a research paper to write. Your working on it at about 11 at night and the internet goes out. OH NO research was bookmarked.... after being pissed and hoping the net would come back i just visited all the research sites on my pocket pc phone and read all the information and finished my paper with no problems. It took a little long wasn't as easy but was a life saver.

Old 08-15-2003, 12:13 AM
Fzara
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitequator
^ Hmm, I wouldn't think that's likely (about Blaster worm cause)...

Can't access a primary mail acct right now
I don't know. Like I said, it is speculation. Speculation is when any kind of an idea is developed to possibly show the cause of an event.

Old 08-15-2003, 12:32 AM
rbrome
Intellectual

Had the same exact experience the other day. Big chunk of Philly was out for most of the day Tuesday:

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/6515862.htm

...it affected both my office and apartment. No power for 10 hours. GPRS helped for a bit mid-day, but then my laptop battery died. :-(

Old 08-15-2003, 12:33 AM
ikesler
Intellectual

When I lived in NYC and 9/11 happened........ the only way I could get through to anyone was via Instant Messanger (somehow the internet connection was still up?) and my Blackberry........ I was talking to people all day like that..........
It was a godsend.......
Hope all are well and getting home safe!

Old 08-15-2003, 12:34 AM
Paragon
Magi

Well guys, it's out here in Ontario as well. I just left Toronto (total mess). Fido, and Rogers GSM/GPRS networks seem to be holding up so far. .....GO XDA!

Dave

Old 08-15-2003, 12:54 AM
`helios
Ponderer
Send a message via ICQ to `helios Send a message via MSN to `helios

These are the only times I like working at a call center that calls Americans. Since most States had no power, we were sent home for the night, and luckily, this side of Canada still has power.

boo ya! :twisted:

Old 08-15-2003, 12:57 AM
beq
Oracle

Ouch. First this:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...re_us/blackout
"Officials were looking at a power transmission problem from Canada as the most likely cause, said a spokeswoman for New York Gov. George Pataki."
I was all set to blame Canadians as I'm prone to do, always the likely scapegoats...

Then Canadian Prime Minister strikes back. According to CNN, his office now reports that cause was lightning strike on a Niagara Falls power plant in NY (Niagara Mohawk Power Grid), which caused cascading failures all over USA and Canada. Aww...

Well, maybe now I can pay more attention to the MS/Blaster connection rumors and start blaming Microsoft :mrgreen: