Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 08-12-2003, 03:30 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Yet Another Wireless Standard: WiMedia

http://www.wired.com/news/technolog...2,59959,00.html

Jason mentioned WiMax yesterday, but wait! The IEEE has introduced yet another new standard - 802.15.3, dubbed "WiMedia" - designed for stable streaming media applications, including integration into consumer entertainment devices like TVs.

"The new standard, which shares the same chunk of airwaves as cordless phones, microwave ovens and other popular wireless protocols such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, would ensure fast, uninterrupted streaming media. Once a connection is made between WiMedia devices, the network automatically switches channels if it detects any interference from other technologies, said Robert Heile, chairman of the IEEE 802.15 working group and chief technology officer for wireless radio and software maker Appairent Technologies."

It's notable that WiMedia needs no base station, and that it supports high-bandwidth applications at a greater distance than 802.11a. However, we're starting to see specialization of WiFi-related technologies, and I'm afraid we'll start to see fragmentation as well. I'd love to see one or two unified high-bandwidth standards, but the market is going in precisely the opposite direction.

Old 08-12-2003, 04:36 PM
Christian
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to Christian

Hooray for more wireless standards! :splat: It seems the term "standard" is become less and less applicable...

Old 08-12-2003, 05:02 PM
Snail
Ponderer

:roll: Along with everyone else here, I'm far from being a Luddite... but it's hard to keep up with developments in new "standards".

I've just bought a betamax video player - someone tell me I did the right thing! :lol:

Old 08-12-2003, 06:10 PM
phanprod
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to phanprod Send a message via MSN to phanprod Send a message via Yahoo to phanprod

Personally, I'm not so worried about the whole multiple standards thing... in this case, at least. This one uses the same block of frequencies as WiFi & Bluetooth (2.4 Ghz), which means that manufacturers could theoretically design devices that comply with multiple standards. And, if a current device if flash upgradeable, it could theoretically be updated to comply as well - although I don't see that as happening. They'd rather you buy a new device --- more money for them.

I remember the old 56k modem wars... everyone had their own standards for that, as well. But as time went on, you started to see devices that supported multiple standards, and eventually there were devices that were upgradeable as new standards came out.

The only fear I have is the frequency itself. 2.4Ghz is an incredibly crowded place, especially in dense urban areas like here in NY. Everyone has a 2.4Ghz cordless phone, or a microwave,, etc. It'll eventually be hard to find a free channel.

Old 08-12-2003, 06:47 PM
absolutVenky
Ponderer

What's the problem? For its target applications 802.15.3 nicely addresses all the shortcomings of Bluetooth as well as WiFi. We may see a repeat of 802.11 though - 802.11 wasn't commercially a big success until 'b' came along and pushed the data rate from 2 to 11 Mbps. Likewise I guess 802.15.3 will see some limited success until 15.3a (based on UWB) comes along and ups the bandwidth beyond 110 Mb/s.

WiMedia is to 802.15.3 what WiFi is to 802.11. The application space is multimedia connectivity - it will replace all those messy A/V cables, firewire cables, etc. Now you can easily use a PC as a home entertainment system and wirelessly stream the video to the TV and the audio to the receiver/amplifier. Transferring videos from your camcorder to your PC will also be cable-free.

And sure, you can use it for Internet access with a DSL/cable or other (Fiber) broadband connection! I can see WiMedia replacing WiFi in the home in a few years.

Old 08-12-2003, 07:33 PM
FredMurphy
Thinker

I'm far from an expert on these things, but surely the "designed for streaming" shouldn't have anything to do with the wireless technology - that should just make sure the data gets there.

A friend of mine was telling me how he was working on Quality of Service stuff for IPv6 - i.e. if you're transmitting a file, you want perfect quality but aren't TOO bthered if it slows down for a bit and if you're watching streaming media you want continuous transmission, but can cope with a dropped frame or two.

Isn't this where this sort of things belong? It shouldn't matter what low level protocol you're using - wires, WiFi or whatever.

Standards - they're always a joke. I wonder what propriatary standard Sony will use to compete with this? :lol:

Old 08-13-2003, 01:28 AM
AKBishop
Pupil

Seems like we need a new frontpage category called "STANDARDS" with the rate at which new standards pop up.

Old 08-13-2003, 04:42 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I can't wait until this comes into play. Then I'll buy everyone in the neighbourhood a baby monitor, just to mess things up with one device too many in the 2.4GHz range. :twisted:

Old 08-13-2003, 06:18 AM
phanprod
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to phanprod Send a message via MSN to phanprod Send a message via Yahoo to phanprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmagnus
I can't wait until this comes into play. Then I'll buy everyone in the neighbourhood a baby monitor, just to mess things up with one device too many in the 2.4GHz range. :twisted:
Ahh, yes... but that baby monitor will be capable of receiving some really fast streaming video, cook microwave popcorn with ease, check the speed of oncoming vehicles, and make phone calls using your land line.

Makes me want to look into 802.11a opcorn:

Old 08-13-2003, 01:40 PM
clinte
Ponderer
Default Mobile Broadband Wireless Access

Funny that when 802.16/WiMax info was posted on the PPCT awhile back it's was deleted imho. It was posted somewhere on the Wireless threat.

ABI WimAX report
http://www.abiresearch.com/abiprdisp...sp?pressid=178

WirelessMAN articles/info
http://www.wirelessman.org/
http://www.wirelessman.org/pub/buzz.html

They are also working on Mobile Broadband Wireless Access called 802.16e
http://www.wirelessman.org/mobile/