Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 08-01-2003, 03:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default PDABuyersGuide Reviews HP iPAQ 1940/1945 Pocket PC 2003 PDA

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/ipaq_1940.htm

"The iPAQ 1940 and 1945 (they're the same unit with different model numbers used to designate the retail channel through which they're sold) are HP's follow-up to the the hugely popular, slim and elegant iPAQ 1910. Though the 1945 looks the same as the 1910 with the exception of some minor trim changes, it has several notable improvements over the 1910, while maintaining the $299 list price. The 1945 runs the new Pocket PC 2003 operating system (also called Windows Mobile 2003), has integrated Bluetooth and supports SDIO. While the 1910 wasn't very expandable, the 1945 is thanks to Bluetooth and SDIO� good going, HP!"

I gotta' get this site using Spb Benchmark - reviews just don't have enough meat for me without it. :lol: They also don't mention the yellow-ish screen. Hmm.

Old 08-01-2003, 04:01 PM
caywen
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to caywen
Default 1945

The 1945 is, by far, the best PDA I have ever owned.

First, it is rock-solid stable. I really thing WM2003 is a winner. The only time I had to do a soft reset was when an installation actually requested it voluntarily.

Second, it's screen, despite the yellow problem, is gorgeous. Photos really look very nice on it, and day to day it is really pleasing to use.

Third, it's the PERFECT form factor. Any wider or thicker, and it would be awkward to carry around. This is the first PDA since my Palm V that I really carry everywhere I go only because I forget I have it.

The other day, I was reading an eBook while listening to WMA files in a cafe. I absolutely love that.

Old 08-01-2003, 04:02 PM
Skoobouy
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to Skoobouy

Yep, they do.

Quote:
The screen has a faint yellow color cast, that you may notice when looking at white backgrounds.

Old 08-01-2003, 05:52 PM
Gregg
Pupil

Greetings,

I purchased a 1940 a few weeks ago and the first unit had a really bad display :evil: ; I returned it for a new unit and the yellow hue on the display wasn't as bad, in fact it was very slight .

The display is phenomenal. I am replacing a 3870 with an extended battery sleeve with compact flash slot .

I also carry the 1940 every where because the foot print is so small; the 3870 just stays around the house gathering dust for now.

An aside, I use Nyditot Virtual Display so the yellow display is irelevant because I get to choose what color schemes I want on my desktop/windows.

I recommend Nyditot VIrtual Display to anybody who wants to look at any color other than yellow or white (well, white is really yellow on the 1940 :wink: ).

Gregg

Old 08-01-2003, 07:45 PM
pdagal
Ponderer

Yes, I did mention it was yellow in the review. Though ours wasn't that bad :?

Old 08-01-2003, 09:43 PM
Kevin Daly
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdagal
Yes, I did mention it was yellow in the review. Though ours wasn't that bad :?
Has their been any comment yet from HP on the yellowness issue?

It would be refreshing if they'd take a leaf from Dell's book over this one.

Old 08-01-2003, 10:09 PM
pdagal
Ponderer

I actually haven't asked them. Ours wasn't terribly yellow, nor have been the couple I saw in local electronics stores. Often PDA screens have color casts (more commonly blue though, not yellow), so I didn't see it as a defect so much as a characteristic of the LCD they decided to use for this model.
Most of us are very accustomed to a blue color cast, even in monitors (Sony Trinitrons had a blue bias for years), so it's perhaps less disconcerting or noticable. But yellow is a new one, and is even more annoying to some than the Palm Tungsten T's pinkish display.

Of course, I'm not speaking for those folks who've had absolutely jaundiced units, just yer average 1940.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Daly
Has their been any comment yet from HP on the yellowness issue?

It would be refreshing if they'd take a leaf from Dell's book over this one.