Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-28-2003, 08:12 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Update On Dell Axim with Pocket PC 2003

I just received information from Dell regarding the Axim X5 issue with the Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC OS.

"As reported earlier, Dell has resumed shipping the Axim X5 with Pocket PC 2003. Axim X5 shipments resumed on July 25 and Dell is committed to clearing the backlog as quickly as possible.

"Dell expects the fix, which is a ROM update, to be posted to the website (support.dell.com) by Wednesday, July 30. Users should note that the file is expected to be large (approximately 28MB). For customers who can't easily download the file, Dell is developing a CD with the ROM update on it and will mail it out when it's available. Due to production logistics associated with the CD, Dell anticipates the ROM update CD to be available within two-three weeks.

"Dell will also resume offering the Pocket PC 2003 Upgrade CD within the next two weeks."

Dell will also be in direct contact with end users that purchased the X5 to make sure they have the latest software since all Axims sold are direct sales. CNET has also reported on it here.

Also of note is this comment for all of those people with their brains in overdrive. "Users who currently own Axims with Pocket PC 2002 should NOT try to download the ROM update -- it will NOT work on Axim X5s with Pocket PC 2002." So even thought this is the full ROM image, it will apparently check and make sure you have the 2003 OS already in ROM before applying the update, so you can't use this download to upgrade your machine from 2002 to 2003. You'll have to buy the CD.

Old 07-28-2003, 08:36 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator
Default Re: Update On Dell Axim with Pocket PC 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Also of note is this comment for all of those people with their brains in overdrive. "Users who currently own Axims with Pocket PC 2002 should NOT try to download the ROM update -- it will NOT work on Axim X5s with Pocket PC 2002." So even thought this is the full ROM image, it will apparently check and make sure you have the 2003 OS already in ROM before applying the update, so you can't use this download to upgrade your machine from 2002 to 2003. You'll have to buy the CD.
Man, I was already thinking of that before I even got to that paragraph.

Old 07-28-2003, 08:54 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Praise the lord! Too bad about the Upgrade CD delay though. Got that message in my inbox Saturday.

Old 07-28-2003, 08:55 PM
CTSLICK
Sage

Well I gotta be patient. Got an email from Dell saying that my order won't get here until 08/26/2003 ( I ordered on 06/26/2003). Thats a month delay over the original 07/24/2003 estimate. But on the plus side it will let a lot of people test it out before I get it. :wink:

Old 07-28-2003, 09:00 PM
egads
Theorist

Looking forward to see what kind of problems (if any) pop up when people start getting the CD's. I plan to wait and see how the install goes and see if there are any real speed increases with the new OS.

Hope it goes well for everyone !!!

Old 07-28-2003, 09:09 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

yay for dell!! Nice to see this kind of customer service. (Disgruntled toshiba owner)

Old 07-28-2003, 09:52 PM
hockeydude
Pupil

I will also wait to see what kind of Speed people get with the new OS/fix before I go and buy an Axim. If they get the kind of speed that the 2215/2210 is getting....then I think I will get one. Probably the 300mhz though....its cheaper and then I can get some extra stuff with it.

Old 07-28-2003, 11:32 PM
ShivShanks
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Dell expects the fix, which is a ROM update, to be posted to the website (support.dell.com) by Wednesday, July 30. Users should note that the file is expected to be large (approximately 28MB).
Does anyone have any idea what exactly was the problem? How did Dell screw up big time without even testing the new OS properly on its handhelds? Obviously its not an OS issue, so what exactly was at fault? Doesn't inspire too much confidence on Dell that they are being so coy about what the problem exactly was and the fact that it took them so long to realise it. They do have a QA dept for their handhelds, don't they?

Old 07-28-2003, 11:51 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Better late than never........ :?

Old 07-29-2003, 12:14 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivShanks
Does anyone have any idea what exactly was the problem? How did Dell screw up big time without even testing the new OS properly on its handhelds?
Just wait for the patch. Dell's README files are usually pretty comprehensive when it comes to BIOS updates, and the firmware is similar to a BIOS.