Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Customizations & Content

Old 07-25-2003, 09:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default This Week's Free Ebooks From Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/reader/pro...s/free_shop.asp

I think Crystal's gone on vacation (actually, I think most everyone has except Brad, Marlof and me 8O ), so I just wanted to let you know about this week's free Microsoft ebooks (that is, if you can get the new Reader working):
  • Persuader by Lee Child;
  • Beach Music by Pat Conroy;
  • Star Trek S.C.E #23: Wildfire, Book 1.
Looks like some decent weekend reading to me, although I still have to start (re)reading Hitchhiker's Guide from last week.

Old 07-25-2003, 09:13 PM
Kevin Remhof
Intellectual

OK, kind of off-topic, but... I didn't realize the third book was a Star Trek book until I saw this posting. I even went to the MS Reader site and downloaded one of the other books.

I figured that "SCE #23 : Wildfire, Book 1" was just some generic SciFi book. In fact, from the MS Reader page, the only way to find out that it's a Star Trek book is to look at the cover picture. Odd.

Old 07-25-2003, 09:32 PM
clintc
Pupil
Default DRM stuff

I downloaded the pc reader and then activated both the pc reader and the pocket pc reader. Then, I downloaded The Hitchhikers Guide and it loaded automatically into the pc reader. I tried to copy the .lit file to the pocketpc but the reader on the 2200 says it can't open the book. Both the pc and pocketpc were activated with the same passport account. Have I wrongly assumed I could read drm protected stuff in both places. The activation process said something about being able to activate 6 devices with one passport account. That led me to think I would be able to read protected content in more than one place.

I'd like to read the books on the 2200. What is the solution?

Old 07-25-2003, 09:41 PM
Bruce Babcock
Pupil
Default Re: DRM stuff

[quote="clintc"]I downloaded the pc reader and then activated both the pc reader and the pocket pc reader.

Did you reinstall the new Pocket PC Reader before you activated it :?:

Bruce

Old 07-25-2003, 09:51 PM
clintc
Pupil

[quote="Bruce Babcock"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintc
I downloaded the pc reader and then activated both the pc reader and the pocket pc reader.

Bruce
No, I figured the MS-Reader that came with the 2200 was the latest version and that I did not need to update it. Is the Reader included in the rom of a mw2003 device already out of date? I can't find a version number anywhere obvious in the Ms-Reader software.

Update: Version is 2.2.1 (Build 3052) and it says it's activated.

Old 07-25-2003, 09:56 PM
Chris Spera
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Chris Spera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Babcock

Bruce
This is something that has been problematic for this new version of MS Reader. MS will be releasing 3 new ebooks every Friday at Noon between July and November 2003.

I have had to reactivate Reader EVERY Friday on both my desktop and PPC because the DRM in these eBooks (according to Reader) has changed every Friday...

If you haven't installed the updated version of MS Reader, then you won't be able to read these books. If you have the latest version and still can't read them, try reactivating. It shouldn't take up an additional activation from your quota, and then you'll get up to 20 (or so) premium eBooks via this cool offer.

Unfortunately, if you forget to go and get these eBooks, MS does not have previous week's books available for download. You get them now, or you don't get them according to the fine print of this offer.

Christopher Spera

Old 07-25-2003, 09:57 PM
Willmonwah
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to Willmonwah Send a message via MSN to Willmonwah Send a message via Yahoo to Willmonwah

Wow, problems with the 22XX's?

With my maestro, I reinstalled reader onto a storage card, activated, and had the same problems... could it be that it's gotta be in the RAM?

Same book, too.

Old 07-25-2003, 10:09 PM
Steven Cedrone
Default Re: This Week's Free Ebooks From Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
I think Crystal's gone on vacation (actually, I think most everyone has except Brad, Marlof and me 8O )
Hey, what about me??? :wink:

Steve

Old 07-25-2003, 10:10 PM
clintc
Pupil
Default DRM Sucks

I just tried to reactivate. It told me the activation stuff was already on the device, did I want to reinstall. I tapped yes. I still get the same message when I try to open the book - "Microsoft Reader is no longer able to access the book.".

I'm glad I didn't fork over some money for this hassle. Makes me want to go looking for a DRM removal utility. What a pain.

Old 07-25-2003, 10:32 PM
lisantica
Ponderer

I was having trouble as well.
I wrote to MS and here was their reply, but since it came after I had deleted the entire reader software and reinstalled it, I cannot say for certain if this works. Uninstalling and reinstalling did work though...although I'd hate to recommend that for fear one might lose their books.
Here's the MS reply:
"We are sorry for the inconvenience, and suggest you try deleting the
Microsoft Reader file association as follows:

1. Open Windows Explorer (right-click the Start menu and select option
Explore).
2. Go to Tools (at the top) -> Folder Options -> File Types. Scroll down
until you find the extension for Microsoft Reader. Note that there may be
several extensions; you need to locate the .lit extension (small r with
green leaves). Delete this file type association. Since you have deleted
the association, when next you click a Microsoft Reader download link, you
will be prompted to Save this file to disk.
3. Return to http://microsoft.com/reader/promotions/free_shop.asp and click
the download link for the desired eBook.
4. When prompted, save the file to My Documents -> My Library.
5. Open Microsoft Reader, and sort by Date Acquired. The file you
downloaded should be displayed at the top of the list.
"
I hope it helps someone.
Lisa