Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-25-2003, 07:00 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Deluo Black Box In-Car GPS Unit

http://www.deluo.com/Merchant2/merc...ategory_Code=GR

The Deluo Black Box GPS is a nifty piece of equiment. "Simply install the Deluo Black Box GPS into your vehicle, and it will continuously record information according to time intervals or distance intervals of your choice." This gives you information on where your car was, how fast it was going, and how long it was going in total. "When your vehicle arrives home, you can wirelessly download detailed vehicle information from your car, to your home PC, laptop or PDA using Bluetooth technology." That is one cool way to keep a log on your car usage! "As an extra "bonus," this device is also a Bluetooth enabled GPS that lends itself to navigation applications while on the road. While in the vehicle, you can wirelessly connect the Deluo BlackBox GPS to your Bluetooth enabled laptop or palm-sized computer and run your favorite street or marine navigation software." So you get to use this as a built-in-your-car GPS unit was well. It uses the standard NMEA protocols, so it should be recognized by most popular mapping software. Geeks like us can get this cool stuff for $249 when pre-ordered.

Old 07-25-2003, 07:07 PM
James Fee
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to James Fee Send a message via MSN to James Fee Send a message via Yahoo to James Fee Send a message via Skype™ to James Fee

Not sure if I want someone to know where I've been or how fast I've traveled. 8O

What kind of security is on this thing. Can anyone with a bluetooth device download the data?

Old 07-25-2003, 07:11 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator

Add a wireless adapter and you have a poor mans lojack.

Old 07-25-2003, 07:13 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator

Although they don't say it, I would bet the primary use of this device would be for people to covertly track a vehicle. Would be great to put in a kids car though so they know you are always watching.

Old 07-25-2003, 07:15 PM
24va
Intellectual

From the demo, it looks like you can't 'hide' it. Power is by cig adapter which is no good (hate wire snakes in my car) But it also says you can 'hardwire' it into you car but does not elaborate.
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1Cor 1:18 In hand:*Axim x50v; 2gb SD; 4gb CF;*LG 325 Contributing Editor - pocketnow.com

Old 07-25-2003, 07:18 PM
ipaq38vette
Intellectual

The Ferrari F50 (1995-97) has a 'black box' also. It is used primarily in racing at the strip.

Old 07-25-2003, 07:32 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

Also would have a great use to keep law enforcement honest, you could really prove you weren't speeding...etc.
Also I believe this model has bluetooth so you can have multiple uses from one box very cool!

Old 07-25-2003, 09:25 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Talk about a buzz kill for a kid who just asked his parents for the car that evening. 8O

He gets home and they review his driving record. Ouch. :lol:

Old 07-25-2003, 09:44 PM
James Fee
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to James Fee Send a message via MSN to James Fee Send a message via Yahoo to James Fee Send a message via Skype™ to James Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan1
He gets home and they review his driving record. Ouch. :lol:
Or you can look at your wifes or vise versa... This kind of stuff scares me and I sure hope insurance companies don't start pushing it. Oh sorry Mr Smith, we saw you were going over the speed limit at the time the man ran the red light and totaled your car, we won't pay"

This technology is not cool and I sure don't want someone in the next car over looking where I've been... 0X

Old 07-25-2003, 11:18 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Man... you've got so much secrets to hide from other people. I couldn't care less if people could read my logs.

But to be honest, I assumed there would be some sort of protection to keep your data safe from reading by prying eyes. If there's not, that might limit the use of this unit. But let's say that only I get to read my log files. I think that's pretty cool.