Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 07-24-2003, 06:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default McDonald's Implementing Pocket PC-Based Drive Thru

http://www.thetowntalk.com/html/B8B...AE9FEC1FE.shtml

This is cool. Now we know why McDonald's was setting up WiFi hotspots. Who would have known that they'd be a technology leader? :lol:

"...now you can get your Big Mac and french fries even more faster thanks to new technology being used by the McDonald's restaurant on Jackson Street Extension. Employees are coming face-to-face with drive-thru customers once again and taking orders using a Pocket PC. Glenda Stock, owner of five McDonald's franchises in the Alexandria area, said the pocket PC is 'experimental' at this point but is expected to be implemented on a permanent basis very soon."

Old 07-24-2003, 06:03 PM
droppedd
Thinker

Great! so now instead of dealing with staticy speakers asking you "mradfgeemadsfase" when they mean "Would you like fries with that?" you get "Hold on a second while i soft reset..." (or if they have ppc2003, "hold on 30 seconds..."). :lol:

Old 07-24-2003, 06:08 PM
fgarcia10
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by droppedd
Great! so now instead of dealing with staticy speakers asking you "mradfgeemadsfase" when they mean "Would you like fries with that?" you get "Hold on a second while i soft reset..." (or if they have ppc2003, "hold on 30 seconds..."). :lol:

Sarcastic, but very funny :lol:

Old 07-24-2003, 06:13 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

Quote:
But now you can get your Big Mac and french fries even more faster...
Who writes these articles?

Old 07-24-2003, 06:16 PM
Steven Cedrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
Probably the guy that took the E-learning seminar: "More better writing skills in three easy lessons"... :wink:

Steve

Old 07-24-2003, 06:21 PM
droppedd
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
Quote:
But now you can get your Big Mac and french fries even more faster...
If they had done better in English class in high school, would they be working at a mcdonald's drivethrough? :lol:

although i shouldn't say that... especially in today's job market, as i joke with my friends who are English majors: "Oh, you're majoring in liberal arts? Better start preparing for the workforce. Repeat after me... "Would you like fries with that?"

and several of my friends did spend their summers working the Burger King gig. In fact one of them couldn't even get a job in fast food this summer, the job market's so bad in Maine. But he's an art major, so being poor keeps him an authentically starving artist

Old 07-24-2003, 06:27 PM
GetAFix
Pupil

Yeah, as droppedd said, we won't have to deal with static on the speakers (when they are working well). :lol: It's good to see that McDee is using
their own hot spots as well. Hope to see this technology everywhere and
in other fast food chains as well.

- Getafix

Old 07-24-2003, 06:30 PM
felixdd
Philosopher
Send a message via ICQ to felixdd Send a message via AIM to felixdd Send a message via MSN to felixdd Send a message via Yahoo to felixdd

This is awesome! Face to face is much better than talking to a pair of speakers. Does anyone remember that McDonald's drive through breakfast commercial? With the guy screaming his order while forgetting to roll down his windows? :lol:

Now if customers that have their OWN Wi-Fi enabled PPC can make their own orders (if the ordering system was web-based, for example)...the guy won't even need to scream or roll his windows down -- he can just tap while sitting in his car...and by the time he gets out of the car and into the store the order is there waiting for him.

Old 07-24-2003, 06:32 PM
Xyress
Ponderer
Send a message via ICQ to Xyress Send a message via AIM to Xyress

I can't see this method being any faster than the regular drive through. Clicking on buttons with a stylus to input the order has to be pretty error-prone ... I haven't had a wrong order at a driver through in a pretty long time.

The hardest part is the accent of some of the workers, not the technology. You just have to anticipate what they're going to say (such as "Heretogo?" or "Likebiggisizeat?"). I can't imagine how non-native English speakers deal at fast food restaurants.

Old 07-24-2003, 06:32 PM
felixdd
Philosopher
Send a message via ICQ to felixdd Send a message via AIM to felixdd Send a message via MSN to felixdd Send a message via Yahoo to felixdd

This is awesome! Face to face is much better than talking to a pair of speakers. Does anyone remember that McDonald's drive through breakfast commercial? With the guy screaming his order while forgetting to roll down his windows? :lol:

Now if customers that have their OWN Wi-Fi enabled PPC can make their own orders (if the ordering system was web-based, for example)...the guy won't even need to scream or roll his windows down -- he can just tap while sitting in his car...and by the time he gets out of the car and into the store the order is there waiting for him.