Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-24-2003, 04:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default HP iPAQ 4100 Receives Bluetooth Certification

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3876.html

As of yesterday, the Bluetooth SIG approved the iPAQ 4100's Bluetooth capabilities. So now, the question is, what is the 4100? Brighthand has one take on it. Let the speculation begin...

Old 07-24-2003, 04:35 PM
ipaqabilities
Neophyte

I've also posted my take on iPAQabilities.com at this link:

http://www.ipaqabilities.com/news/ar...4100series.php

Old 07-24-2003, 04:59 PM
gorkon280
Philosopher
Default 4000 series iPaq

My take on this is that it would probably not include 2 wireless technologies. That's the job of the 5555. If it has a keyboard, it may not necessarily be integrated. Those pics of that concept makes it look more like a Toshiba than a iPaq. Plus you also do not see a pic with the keyboard folded up.
The one that looks like it may be the device does not look thick enough for the keyboard and the device in the package. If I am wrong, I will have to pull out the drool :drool: emoticon again!

Old 07-24-2003, 05:09 PM
PJE
Thinker

It'll be interesting to see if HP is able to get Microsoft to recode the few PocketPC applications that are not landscape compliant... here's hoping!

The Brighthand information also stated half VGA resolution, but I can't see that from the pictures - It would also require all software to be resolution independant.

The other issue with landscape is that you're giving up much more of the display to the top and bottom bars. What's needed is to split the bottom bar and have the top bar to the left of the toolbar. This would free up a significant percentage of the screen.

[EDIT]

Unless this thing runs CE.NET without the PocketPC applications in a similar way to the Nexio S160... but that may restict the number of applications that could run on the unit.

[/EDIT]

Old 07-24-2003, 05:15 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaqabilities
I've also posted my take on iPAQabilities.com at this link:

http://www.ipaqabilities.com/news/ar...4100series.php
Why not post your take here? If everyone posted their thoughts on another website and just put links here, what fun would that be. Otherwise it is just a pointless website plug.

Old 07-24-2003, 05:15 PM
GO-TRIBE
Ponderer
Default Running PPC 2004

I think this device might give us a little insight into what MS is planning for PPC 2004 (landscape, various screen resolutions, improved office apps). So, my guess is that HP is preping this device to debut PPC 2004 on release day and showcase the many new features and enhancements (which were made possible by the transition to CE.NET).

If HP gets it right, this device could be KILLER! 0X

Old 07-24-2003, 05:17 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldkey
Why not post your take here? If everyone posted their thoughts on another website and just put links here, what fun would that be. Otherwise it is just a pointless website plug.
Ordinarily, I agree. However, he did write up a long article in this case, analyzing pictures, etc.

--janak

Old 07-24-2003, 05:21 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator

My bad. Since this is a work PC, I don't like to follow offsite links since I never know what might pop up. So I did not even bother looking since he did not provide any detail other than the link in his post.

Old 07-24-2003, 05:35 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

I think it's more likely the converged device HP has said they will be bringing out, whether or not it looks like the one in the video I have no idea, but I think it's likely to be at least BT and GPRS.

Old 07-24-2003, 06:03 PM
aroma
Thinker

Oh good grief... just when I thought we would get a small break in all the speculation after the release of PPC2003 and all the new devices...