Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 07-22-2003, 11:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Dell moves to have WiFi, 3G on its PDAs

http://australianit.news.com.au/art...5E15306,00.html

"DELL Computer plans to add wireless to nearly all its notebooks and personal digital assistants by combining 2.5/3G and WiFi silicon into one device. Dell, which marked its entry into the handheld market last year with its Axim PDA, says the company's vision is to see the Axim become a mainstream mobile device. By the end of this year, for example Dell plans to build 802.11b into a version of Axim and by 2004, Dell expects to provide a version of Axim that offers 802.11g.

The Axim will also include Bluetooth, allowing synchronisation with client devices, including notebooks. The Axim, which supports Microsoft's PocketPC operating system, will also come equipped with a multiday battery life. Internet and voice capabilities will feature in the next-generation Axim handheld. The Dell Axim X5 uses a 400MHz XScale processor and 64MB of memory, plus 48MB of flash ROM and another uses a 300MHz processor, 48MB of SDRAM and 32MB of flash ROM."

Old 07-22-2003, 11:12 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

I like the ever-increasing competition - especially with increased wireless capabilities... it looks to be a good battle brewing between Dell and HP.

Old 07-22-2003, 11:13 PM
Thinkingman
Ponderer

802.11g is a good idea. I know Fujitsu already has that on their notebooks, but I havent seen it on their Loox as of yet. They are supposed to be releasing a model that includes wi fi, but I dont know about it being g, I think it is supposed to be b.
I personally feel it is a good idea to includde it and hope pricing wont be outrageous.

Old 07-22-2003, 11:18 PM
achille
Pupil
Default Re: Dell moves to have WiFi, 3G on its PDAs

Old 07-22-2003, 11:24 PM
dh
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
I like the ever-increasing competition - especially with increased wireless capabilities... it looks to be a good battle brewing between Dell and HP.
Sony too with their new WiFi/BT model. Things are going to get really interesting at the end of the year, especially when POS 6.0 arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achille
THAT THing is ALREADY a brick, add BLuetooth, WIFI and a MULTIDAY Battery ... :idontthinkso: A pocket PC is supposed to fit in your pocket!!! ANd no! I'm not talking about the pockets BIG FAT GUYS
Put an Axim in a low profile case, like the Senna, and it's a managable size. Still has the best features set for the money. I'm going to hang on to mine for a while to see if the new years offerings bring what I really want, SD, CF, BT, WiFi in one package.

I've been temped slightly by the new '03 models like the 2210 or e755, but no-one is quite there yet.

Old 07-22-2003, 11:28 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh

Sony too with their new WiFi/BT model. Things are going to get really interesting at the end of the year, especially when POS 6.0 arrives.
Every time I see the acronym POS referring to Palm OS, I have to remember it does not mean something else. :razzing:

Old 07-22-2003, 11:29 PM
achille
Pupil

Old 07-23-2003, 12:40 AM
QYV
Intellectual

Quote:
THAT THing is ALREADY a brick, add BLuetooth, WIFI and a MULTIDAY Battery ... A pocket PC is supposed to fit in your pocket!!! ANd no! I'm not talking about the pockets BIG FAT GUYS
I'm 6' and 195lbs...I'm a little bulky, but I wouldn't call myself a "BIG FAT GUY". And I carry my Axim in my jeans pocket every day! :mrgreen:

The interesting thing will be cost. Dell broke new pricing ground for the Pocket PC with the X5. I wonder if they'll be able to do the same with the new model(s). The 2215 is going to be a hard act to beat...

Old 07-23-2003, 01:24 AM
TawnerX
Intellectual

I hope they hire a real designer instead of designed by comitte approach ala X5. IT has everything that everybody wants.... except ehrrr... has as much zest as a beige brick.

Old 07-23-2003, 02:00 AM
RickP in AZ
Intellectual
Send a message via Yahoo to RickP in AZ
Default Re: Dell moves to have WiFi, 3G on its PDAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by achille
WHAT !?!?! :shocked!:
THAT THing is ALREADY a brick, add BLuetooth, WIFI and a MULTIDAY Battery ... :idontthinkso: A pocket PC is supposed to fit in your pocket!!! ANd no! I'm not talking about the pockets BIG FAT GUYS
Wanna see just now big of a "brick" a Dell Axim is? Take the cover sleeve which came with your PAQ 5555, remove the cover, and then slid the 5555 inside. That is how thick the Axim is. Not all that bad huh? Sure as heck beats needing to increase the size of your iPAQ by 30% in order to add the CF sleeve onto it....

I don't know what it is about the Axim and the way it photographs but it really isn't that big. Sure it isn't a 1910/40 and it is slightly bigger than the 2215 but its battery is 50% bigger than either one of those to begin with.

(iPAQ 3795 owner, Axim owner in a very short time... possibly.)