Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-21-2003, 07:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default The Coolest Hub Yet: Iogear USB 2.0 Microhub

http://pocketpcthoughts.pricegrabbe...4938dd26e429329

Last month, Iogear sent me a couple of their USB 2.0 Microhubs, and I finally got a chance to sit down and play with one of them. A hub isn't exactly a sexy device: it either works well or it doesn't. I connected my Sandisk USB 2.0 memory card reader to it and was able to pull data off quickly. It seemed a little slower than when the memory reader was connected directly to the USB 2.0 port on the front of my computer, but I was happy enough with the speed. [UPDATE: It seems I received the USB 1.1 version of the Microhub, hence the slower speed. The USB 2.0 versions are darker in colour. I KNEW I should have done a benchmark! :|]

The most interesting thing about this hub is the size - it's so tiny! It also includes a very short cable, which is awesome for maximum portability - you don't need to carry anything with you.

Some of the basic specs for the hub, taken from the Iogear Web site:

� 4 USB 2.0 ports for easy expansion
� Supports a data transfer rate of up to 480 Mbps
� 40 Times faster than USB 1.1 products
� Plug-n-Play, hot swappable
� Backward compatible with USB 1.1 specifications
� Supports Windows 98, 98SE, 2000, ME, XP, and Mac OS X or later version
� A-B cable tucks away when not in use
� 3 Year Limited Warranty

Here's what the hub looks like next to an iPAQ 2215 - it makes the iPAQ look huge!

You can buy the Microhub by looking at our Pricegrabber listing. I'm very happy with the hub and would recommend it to anyone who needs extra USB ports but wants to stay mobile.

Old 07-21-2003, 07:28 PM
Taha
Neophyte
Default When space is an issue....smaller hub...

The IOGear hub definitely wins in the looks department. I was shopping for a small hub to carry around with my laptop since it only has a single USB port. I found this one:

http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/de...sp?dpno=144744

Again, not great in the looks department but it does the job without adding too much weight to my already bulky mobile office setup.

BTW... on a separate note...I posted here a few weeks ago for combined charging/sync-ing cables after getting my new iPaq 2215. Thanks to everyone who recommended the BoxWave combo cable. Got it this weekend -- works like a charm!

Taha

Old 07-21-2003, 07:38 PM
MobiliT
Ponderer
Default oooh

Very sweet. :way to go: Add yet another item to my wish list.

So... where's that drool icon? :wink:

Old 07-21-2003, 08:04 PM
trachy
Thinker

That's an impressive hand you have there, Jason. ;-)

Old 07-21-2003, 08:14 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trachy
That's an impressive hand you have there, Jason. ;-)
I know, I know, I should have been a hand model... :lol:

Old 07-21-2003, 08:27 PM
dean_shan
Mystic

Nice. So small you can actually fit it in those tiny pockets in the laptop bag that nothing else fits in.

Old 07-21-2003, 08:46 PM
Paul P
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to Paul P

Looks awesome. I can't tell from the picture, is it powered?

Thanks

Old 07-21-2003, 08:51 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul P
Looks awesome. I can't tell from the picture, is it powered?
There's an AC adaptor plug in, but the unit doesn't come with the AC brick for power. I've only encountered a few USB devices that need power from the USB hub - most, like external hard drives, have their own AC power.

Also, everyone please see the note about the USB 1.1 status of my hub - they are shipping a USB 2.0 version now, so that's why I was confused...

Old 07-21-2003, 10:19 PM
IOGEAR
Neophyte
Default IOGEAR USB Hubs

Jason, cool write up on the USB hub, thanks! To clear things up regarding power for the hub:

The USB 1.1 version of the USB hub, model GUH174, does not come with a power adapter. In most situations you will never need it. We have run power-hungry devices on all four ports simultaneously without any problems or need for an external power source.

The USB 2.0 version of the hub, model GUH274, will work fine at reduced speeds without an external power adapter. However USB 2.0 is generally a power-hungry technology that usually needs more electricity than bus power can provide, and you will need to use an external power source to achieve the full USB 2.0 speeds. So, when you buy the USB 2.0 model the power adapter is included.

Old 07-21-2003, 11:27 PM
klinux
Sage
Send a message via MSN to klinux

I thought this was the coolest hub ever?

"Firewire Dino is stomping through town and he means business. With piercing red eyes and an open mouth that lights up when plugged in to the Firewire bus, Firewire Dino is as menacing as he is useful. When he's not destroying your desk* he's helping you with your Firewire connectivity problems."
- from Charismac

This is on my to-buy list which is only getting longer and longer....