Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-28-2003, 07:00 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Pocket Solution Cover-Up for Dell Axim

http://www.thepocketsolution.com/st...re.mv?p=PSI-058

Ever since I had my first HP Jornada Pocket PC, I've been in love with built in screen protection through flip covers. You don't need an extra case to have your screen protected when you carry your Pocket PC in your.... Pocket. But since the Jornada line was killed by the HP - Compaq merger, the flip cover died with it. Or did it?

If you're looking for low weight screen protection, you may not need to look further than the Cover-Up by The Pocket Solution. It's a low weight screen cover that can flip open, allowing you to use the Pocket PC with the cover attached.

Now Quality Comes With a Flip Cover Again
I'm a big fan of my Dell Axim Pocket PC. Despite being a bit big, but I find it highly usable. The build quality and the battery life are stunning and continue to amaze me. I've been wishing for a Pocket PC with Jornada build quality like this, ever since the Jornada line was killed. The only thing that I truly dislike is the carrying case it comes with. Big. Plastic. It makes this Pocket PC a monster to carry in your pockets. How different from the flip cover my dear Jornadas came with. Cue Cover-Up.

Figure 1: The Cover-Up matches the Axim design.

The Cover-Up comes with different finishes, such as Leather and Wood laminate skins. Reviewed is the basic aluminum Cover-Up, with a nice engraving.

Access to Features
The Cover-Up leaves your headphone socket, your charge and sync ports, all buttons on the left side and the SD slot uncovered. Your buttons on the front are covered along with the CF slot. You wouldn't be able to close the cover if you had a WiFi card with an external antenna in there.

Figure 2: The headphone socket is cut out in the design.

Figure 3: Access to the charge and sync ports.

Up Goes the Cover
If you want to use your Pocket PC, just flip the cover to the back, and you have full access to the device. This might be problematic when you have your Pocket PC in a car cradle, since the cover goes a bit far to the back. Since the cover is attached to your Pocket PC with a bit of industrial strength velcro, you can easily detach and attach the cover though, so this is not a big nuisance.

Figure 4: Axim with lid open

The foam you see in the opened Cover-Up is aligned to the screen of your Pocket PC. This helps the cover stay closed.

Gotchas
� When the screen goes on - e.g. for a reminder - the cover can keep your Pocket PC running through the foam lining pressing on the screen. However, this only happened to me when pressure was applied to the cover.
� Cover can't close over a WiFi card with external antenna.
� Opening the cover can be impossible in a car cradle. Detaching the Cover-Up is very easy though.

Where To Buy
The Cover-Up can be bought at The Pocket Solution starting at only $9.95.

Conclusions
Now I have a reliable Pocket PC, with very good battery life and built in screen protection. The Cover-Up looks good enough to be part of the original design.

Old 07-28-2003, 07:10 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Kind of off-topic, but the lack of integrated flip covers is my biggest gripe with Pocket PC devices. I hate weaing a "naked" PDA. :roll:

Old 07-28-2003, 07:26 PM
QYV
Intellectual

My first PDA was a Palm m100. It had the ideal flip cover (for me, anyway) - it folded all the way back around so it wasn't sticking up in the air when it was open. Such a simple concept, and yet I've seen nothing like it in the Pocket PC world.

I really want to like the Pocket Solutions cover. But I want my CF slot open for WiFi, and I refuse to have the cover sticking up like some kind of giant bizarre antenna whenever I'm using my Axim. Until someone can design a cover that works around those issues, I'll continue carrying it "naked" in my pocket except for a screen protector.

Old 07-28-2003, 07:27 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator

I rember looking for a cover like this a while ago and the problem I found was that the velcro on the back covered the backup battery so you would have to partially remove the velcro to change the battery.

Old 07-28-2003, 07:33 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldkey
I rember looking for a cover like this a while ago and the problem I found was that the velcro on the back covered the backup battery so you would have to partially remove the velcro to change the battery.
I just cut a little hole in the velcro, since it's only in a very small part over the backup battery. The Cover-Up stays attached to the remaining velcro very well, so that's no problem.

Old 07-28-2003, 07:36 PM
BTS
Intellectual

I truly miss the flip cover that I had with my Handera 330. I know someone with a Jornada and that is truly a beautiful cover for the device.

These covers do look great as well. They have one for almost every model of PPC out there. I guess my e750 will be getting its first accessory shortly. I'd hate to scratch that beautiful 3.8" screen!

At the cost of $9.95 it makes you wonder why the OEMs are not adding these to their devices. As for the covers on recent Palm units - Yuk! I had a removable cover on my Handspring Visor and it just ain't the same as the flip cover.

Old 07-28-2003, 08:02 PM
bjctsm3
Pupil

IMHO, the ultimate cover is still the HP 4xx series.... double hinged clear hard plastic... could see the screen without opening the cover.

Old 07-28-2003, 08:03 PM
flux2k
Pupil

That foam piece in the inside of the lid looks like a ZIP CPU socket. It would be nice to be able the upgrade PPC processors that easily.

So where are the lids for the 2210?!?!

Old 07-28-2003, 08:20 PM
bbarker
Philosopher

No, this add-on cover just doesn't cut it. I won't put Velcro on my PPC. I don't like the way the lid sits when it's open. I want the cover to work when I have a WiFi card in the CF slot, as I can with my Jornada. An add-on cover can never be as graceful as one designed for the PPC by its manufacturer.

I can't see any reason all the PPC manufacturers don't include a removable cover with every unit, or at least as an option. Their cost per unit probably would be a dollar or two. If they were too cheap to include it they could sell it for $10 and make a good profit.

Why not give customers what they're asking for? Those who don't want a cover could easily remove it. I take off my Jornada's cover when I'm using it as a GPS unit in my car and put it back on when I'm done. I can't see any disadvantage to providing or offering a cover.

Of course, for the iPaq team, offering a cover would be to admit their arch-rival Jornada team had a good idea. But they need to get over that. They won and the Jornada lost. We won't think less of them if they give in and give us the covers we want. In fact, that's the only way I can see for them to redeem themselves.

Old 07-28-2003, 08:30 PM
T-Will
Sage

I had a PS cover for my 1900 and it was great! Now I'm waiting for a flip cover for my 2200, but it would be nice to have one that attaches to the notches in the back and that flips all the way around to lay flat against the back.